What's new

I'm beginning to suspect my biggest mistake in all year has been buying a GameCube. (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Not trying to start a flame war here.

But I think Nintendo has let me down in a way I thought only Sega could.

How long ago was the GC released? How many games are out there that are really, really good? Two? Three? For me, the only worthwile games are Resident Evil and Rogue Leader (by itself, THE reason to get a GameCube). Other than that, games range from poor to mediocre. I didn't even enjoy Super Smash Brothers Melée. The rest of them? Boring rehashes and bad games (titles like The Simpsons' Road Rage, Crazy Taxi and Spy Hunter come to mind).

I don't know what's wrong with Nintendo, but now I do know I should have spent $100 USD more for the Xbox. The only game I would be missing would be Rogue Leader, but at least I could have the best ports of the next generation games. Or I should have bought a PS2, which has a couple of very good games, lots of nice ones and a bunch of bad ones - which is to say, lots of variety.

Do you think the GC will someday take off? I can't believe I don't use it anymore (whenever I play something - anything, it's my Dreamcast I'm playing with).

Sad.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I had the same dilemma last generation (when I bought a N64 instead of a PS1). I only felt better after I gave in and bought a PS1.

So when I found myself stuck between the GC and Xbox, I bought both. I knew that if I didn't, no matter which one I picked, I'd always be yearning for the other.

I'm sure many people will tell you that once Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, RE0, etc. all come out, you'll be eating your words. But you probably won't be at peace until your GC has a little black box for a neighbor.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, don't feel bad about spending time with your Dreamcast. . .it still holds its own against the new systems, as far as game quality. I've got plenty of cool PS2 games, but my DC and PS2 still share the same shelf!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Masood here-once Mario, Zelda and Metroid come out, there will be a reason to own a cube. Personally, I'm waiting until then to actaully buy a cube myself.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
If your biggest mistake all year is buying a $200 video game console you don't have much to complain about. ;)

Andre F

Screenwriter
If your biggest mistake all year is buying a $200 video game console you don't have much to complain about.
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Give it a few more months and then you'll be playing the best games around. This is what Nintendo does, they release few games but when they do they are usually great!
-Andre F

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
The upcoming list of Gamecube titles previewed at E3 (and covered at IGN.com) look amazing. There are a half-dozen or so big, big titles that currently rank as 'must haves' for me above any titles from either of the two other systems. You'll probably start to see the first of these in three or four months in the States, with a decent stream of good titles emerging thereafter.

That said, there has been absolutely nothing released on the system to date that I've been all that interested in, which is why I've held off getting a Gamecube up till now, and probably won't pick one up till August. My suspicion - getting a Gamecube as early as you did was probably a mistake, and getting rid of it just as the top titles are finally about to hit the system would be just as silly. Sit tight for just a few more months and you'll have plenty of decent games to choose from. It does seem like an awfully long wait for decent Gamecube exclusives, but then that's why I'll be holding out till August before I get my first Cube.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I am the opposite...XBOX had nothing I really wanted that I couldn't get on PS2. GC had RE remakes and, as you said, RL. I bought it for RL. I will buy an XBOX once Panzer Dragoon rears it's ugly (or beautiful) head. I try to buy games...not systems. RL was worth it, and the new Zelda, Metroid, and others will kill!
But if you aren't getting your money's worth, give it a heave. It's gotta please the owner...mine's been worth it for me.
Take care,
Chuck

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I own all three consoles and I haven't touched the Gamecube in months. Nintendo really dropped the ball.

I'll be happy when Mario and Metroid come out, but I would have saved some money if I waited.

Doug

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Think about those that bought a PS2 on launch day back almost 2 years ago. There was a stretch of almost a year before there was a "AAA" title in Gran Turismo 3.

I bought a PS1 and N64 at launch and there was nothing after the initial launch titles (Ridge Racer / Super Mario 64) that was worth playing for around a year also, and the PS1 dropped $100 in that time too.

I'm glad I held off on picking up an X-Box, since there hasn't been anything that really interested me so far, but I'll be first in line when ToeJam & Earl 3 comes out.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The first year of the PS1 was a treasure trove of great games, IMO. Wipeout, Twisted Metal, Jumping Flash, Tekken, Warhawk, and on and on and on....

-Dave

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you made the wrong decision. I'm glad I didn't. I bought a Gamecube and love it!
I only own the Gamecube out of the big 3 next-gen systems, and if I had the chance to go back in time and re-evaluate my decision, I would pick the Gamecube again, hands down, no-contest. But to each his own.
I have too many games I can handle at the moment. My roomate and I have played the hell out of Wave Race: Blue Storm and Smash Bros. I now have to beat Resident Evil with Chris, I just bought Rogue Leader, I'm finally getting the hang of beating the Advance mode on Super Monkey Ball and just started killing myself on Expert mode. I'd like to eventually buy SSX Tricky and Pikmin, but I just don't have the money, or the time to play these yet. Then again, I am getting Wrestlemania X8 on Tuesday.
And then just thinking about the upcoming lineup of Gamecube games, I know I will have too much on my hands. Zelda was delayed? Good! I need the good games to spread out so I can get them all on launch!
Contrary to some posts in this thread, there is little besides Halo and Dead or Alive that interests me on the XBOX. Everything seems so "PC" on the XBOX and most PC games just don't appeal to me.
I wouldn't mind having a PS2, because I'd love to own Gran Theft Auto. There just isn't alot of other games that excite me like games for the Cube.
It's awesome to be a gamer now; there is so much out there and so many choices of games that fit everyone's different preferences.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
BrianB. I bought my GC because I *love* party games. I wanted something to play with my little cousins when they visit (kinda like Mario Tennis or Mario Party). Sadly, they didn't like Smash Bros., and they always want to play my DC's Tennis 2K1, Virtua Athlete or Street Fighter III.
I also bought it because I thought Nintendo wouldn't let me down.
Masood, I am buying my Xbox in 2 weeks. I agree... the GC may be an amazing little piece of hardware (Rogue Leader and Resident Evil - again!) but... where is the software?!?. I am not thinking about selling the GC at all - it looks nice in my bookcase :) but I again, I expected a lot more from the big "N".
Update: my dear, loveable, nice, kind, etc. sister just gave me a gift today: Pikmin. I can only say I haven't been this hooked in a game since the first time I played SimCity 2000. In fact, I think that if I had to keep just 1 game, from the three consoles I own (PS1, DC, GC), I would keep Pikmin. Yes, I liked it even more than RL or RE.
I am weird, am I not?

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I think Nintendo is doing a poor job of marketing this system. It's such a powerful machine but they seem to be behaving very much like Sega lately. E3 did show some impressive stuff so I think things will improve, but I just think that Nintendo had a window there to get as many gamers as the could with a $100 price differential, but now it's down to a $50 difference - and I think people now might be more apt to pick up either a PS2 or XBox. They really should have pushed it harder when it came out - but I think Microsoft (heck, even Sony) outdid them. But I'm loving all the competition, though. It took Microsoft to make Sony drop their price - which essentially forced Microsoft and Nintendo to drop their prices. Now, if only something could be done about the $49.99 price on games. :)
Joey

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am pretty satisfied with GameCube... the games I have (Rogue Leader, Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Wave Race, Monkey Ball)... I have all been more than happy with. It seems that there is going to be a long gap between now and the next good games that are coming out, XBOX now fills that gap (Halo, Project Gotham, and Jet Set Radio Future are equally awesome!) :D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Nintendo really let me down with the N64, so I didn't even bother with the GameCube. I have not bought an X-Box because I'm not impressed with the titles released so far and I only bought my PS2 for two game series: Tekken and Gran Turismo.

Over the past 5 or 6 years, my interest in console games has dropped drastically, while my interest in PC games has been on the upswing. Methinks the next game I'll pick up for PC is the Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds and the Clone Wars expansion pack.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Surely everyone has Super Monkey Ball, yes? Its the game I bought my cube for, and I have't even got around to playing Luigi, SMB is so good. I'm currently stuck at the very last level of Advanced (30 - the chances of me doing all of Advanced in one life to get to the extra levels are currently tiny!), and I can't even do level 4 of Expert yet, so roughly half of the main game remains to be seen. As great as that is, though, its the party and mini games that are getting all the play- Monkey Target is a work of genius, and Monkey Golf has kept us all busy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread