What's new

Star Trek Original Series Prices (1 Viewer)

James Alexis

Agent
I love the original series and have about half of the discs now.

What puts me off is the price - the RRP of $19.95 seems quite high for a series that has been released so many times by Paramount especially as there are only two episodes per disc and no extras to speak of.

I have all of the first season and maybe a third of the second season.

I'm waiting for the price to drop to say $14.95 before I pick up the rest - especially the weaker 3rd season episodes.

My worst fear is that Paramount will release season sets with Shatner/Nimoy commentaries or documentaries and I'll have to pay up again.

They've been milking us for years....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
They've been priced as low as $13.99 each at some e-tailers. The current low price I can find is $15.99. At least you end up with archival-quality, optical-disc transfers of TOS that don't wear out. That's not a bad deal in the end if you love the series.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Even at the lowest prices, it's still well over $600 for all three seasons. (Not to mention a huge investment in shelf space!) If they ever put them out in sets comparably priced to other older series, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

As it is, I'll keep my old homemade tapes (good ol' channel 11!) until such time as sets come out.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I'm in the same boat as Aaron. I have happily purchased the 2 TNG sets, will buy the rest, and will be picking up DS9, Voyager the day they are released *hopefully* in the next 2 1/2 years...my gut (or is it just wishful thinking :) ) tells me once Voyager has been released, we'll see TOS come out in seasons in 2005 with Enterprise coming in in 2006.
TV on DVD has really become my "staple" lately. I LOVE getting Star Trek, Buffy, the Sopranos, etc. Don't have the $$$ for X-Files right now. Hopefully they come down in price once all the seasons have been released!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I went to the route of making my own "discs of the month club". I get paid every other week, and I decided that I would pick up two discs on every other paycheck. This amounts to 2-per-month, of my choice. I have about a dozen left to go, but I've suspened this until I get TNG season 4 at the least, since I will be watching much more TNG than TOS (sorry, that's my preference). When I get past that point, I'll still be picking up the rest of the TNG sets, of course, but I won't be as hot to watch them over TOS, so I'll resume picking up the rest in the fall.

Maybe the prices will drop by then! Right now I pay $14.99 at Best Buy for these.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
James,
It's a shame you did not order them as they came out. I pre-ordered every title. The first 10 or so disc's I paid $11.98 each. For all the rest I paid $12.98 each.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Frank, I paid even less! And, yup, I pre-ordered.

Guys, I speak from a hardcore fan's perspective--as, no doubt, do you. So, I must have my Star Trek discs. That's all there is to it.

Perhaps TOS will be given as lavish a treatment as TNG is so deservedly receiving now (I rescreened a number of First-Season episodes yesterday--great discs!) Also, even though I have been following Trek closely since September of 1966, my favorite incarnation of the franchise is, hands down, The Next Generation. The series is magnetic in its allure. I love it tremendously. Probably my favorite episodic series of all time.

Other annoying, longtime HTF Trek loudmouths like me can confirm my relentless yammerings regarding that sentiment. Jason Seaver is very similarly obsessed with Deep Space Nine, and I fully understand why. And Frank here has a preference not unlike mine.

However it is dished out at me, I am a guaranteed customer. The discs could be packaged in pink lavendar snapper cases emblazoneded with yellow smiley faces, and I'd still buy.

Stupid, I know.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
The discs could be packaged in pink lavendar snapper cases emblazoneded with yellow smiley faces, and I'd still buy.
I think I once mentioned zip-lock bags and I would still buy them.
Star Trek to me was the ultimate in TV. Yes I love TNG best but I enjoy ALL things Trek. Wanna know how much? I preorder TNG box sets for $90+ so I can get them ASAP knowing full well that in about 3 weeks after their release I can get them for $65. One day I will learn the word patience. I will also add that Farscape has quickly moved up as my second favorite with Babylon 5 still hanging in there near the top. It is a good time to be alive. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Me, I never liked TNG much. Too touchy-feely wishy-washy, and they never left the freakin' ship! Oh well, to each his own.

I just wish TOS wasn't so far out of my price range. I've been bitten by the TV series on DVD bug too. Just started watching Buffy season 1 in preparation for season 2! (My all-time favorite. . .probably Evangelion.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks