-

Photo

DOS in XP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 06:55 AM

According to everything that I have been able to determine, there is no DOS program on the Windows XP OS. My wife has several online courses that involve DOS. Does anyone have or know of any way to establish DOS on XP? (sorry, pretty redundant). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 10 Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 07:00 AM

Look for 'Command Prompt'. This will open a DOS-type window (a shell) that will allow you to issue DOS commands or use FTP, etc.
ac

#3 of 10 Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 09:55 AM

Although XP has a command prompt, it doesn't necessarily mean it can execute 16-bit or lower programs anymore. It may or may not work anymore, depending upon the program.

MS made XP such that DOS and 16-bit programs will not work effectively in the 32-bit environment.

You can try, but I wouldn't guarantee anything to work properly.
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

#4 of 10 Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 11:17 AM

I tried to update my mobo bios which requires you use a program that only works in DOS. In WinXP Pro I open the command prompt but it says cannot run program in safe mode. Posted Image Sucks especially since I can't update my bios.

#5 of 10 Kyle

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 11:43 AM

If you are trying to update your bios- Just boot to an old dos disk or 95-98 boot disk and just run from there. It shouldn't be an issue. But you can do a selective startup (by press F8 right away) go to a command prompt only when booting to XP if I remember correctly.
Kyle out-

#6 of 10 Thom B

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 11:53 AM

There are a couple of possible workarounds for these kind of issues.

Tom,
If you're trying get a dos prompt to play around in, the command prompt shell should work for you. If you're trying to run a program that has an .exe which launches it, try the following-
Find the .exe that you're trying to run.
Right click the file and select properties from the drop down menu.
Select the compatability tab, and set the app to run in Win95 compatability mode.
If that doesn't work, try all the modes.

Scott,
Get a Win98 boot disk from
here. Boot the machine with the disk and select command prompt from the boot menu.
Once you get to the prompt run your bios update.
T

#7 of 10 Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 04:11 PM

The only problem I've ever had with a non-game DOS program in Windows 2000 or XP was a program that thought it was running in OS/2, apparently it detected the (limited) OS/2 subsystem but something was messed up. But it is possible to disable the OS/2 subsystem. The program then thought it was in DOS and it ran fine.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#8 of 10 Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 03:06 AM

You mean to tell me that typing "cmd" from RUN will not bring up a DOS prompt in XP? It has in every other NT-Based OS... but then again, who knows with XP.

#9 of 10 Thom B

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 04:29 AM

Steven K,
You are correct sir. cmd will bring up a "dos" prompt, but it's a shell and doesn't function like "pure" dos. This is actually true of NT4 and 2k as well.

T

#10 of 10 AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted June 04 2002 - 08:26 AM

You can run DOS programs in XP/2k/NT as long as they dont try to directly access the hardware.(Like in upgradeing the bios) So some basic software will run but noy many utilties will. Also somewhere in XP there is a wizzard for running old software. Im not sure where it is though.

Scott L:
Check out http://www.powerload...uk/bootdisk.htm You can download DOS and Win9x bootdisks that you can use to update you BIOS with.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...