What's new

New Line: MAN OF THE CENTURY and LEGEND OF 1900 (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I am extremely perplexed and upset that two recent art films from New Line subsidiary Fine Line Features have not been issued in any format, tape or DVD. Those are the very funny MAN OF THE CENTURY, which I was lucky enough to project at the Nuart back in '99, and Giuseppe Tornatore's LEGEND OF 1900 (a/k/a LEGEND OF THE PIANIST ON THE OCEAN) with Tim Roth. Almost every single Fine Line film before and after these two have made it onto one format if not both, and I cannot understand what the holdup is with these films. Can anyone from the company help me out with this question?
I would really like to own MAN OF THE CENTURY. The clever idea of a '20's character living in the present made me laugh hard, especially with the lead's commitment to period detail; using an old typewriter, tossing out hard boiled slang, and general obliviousness to any potential anachronisms. This is a cult film waiting to find its audience, and deserves a shot on DVD.
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
As a New Liner who came aboard shortly after LEGEND OF 1900 was released, I know that the film was perceived as a misfire by Fine Line, but that still doesn't help me understand why it's never been released on home video at all (it does show up on Starz from time to time) unless there's some sort of problem with the foreign company (Penta) which produced it. Fine Line cut a large chunk out of it, which might explain some ill will between the original company and themselves, which might have been perceived as a breach of contract or something, I'm not sure.
Another one I'm curious about is the gorgeous scope film LOVERS OF THE ARCTIC CIRCLE, not to mention earlier arthouse flicks like WATERLAND which haven't had any release yet either.
Catalog titles seem to be a nonexistent concern for both New Line and Fine Line, which is really a drag.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I would also really like to see Man of the Century. Saw a clip on Ebert that looked interesting and funny, but it never played in Atlanta.
Legend of 1900 did play here, but I didn't go see it. I caught a bit of it on Starz the other day and would like to it as well.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, many of the better and more challenging product from both New Line and Fine Line remain unreleased on DVD. Some of the titles I'd love to see made available besides the above would be
SHORT CUTS (with Criterion supplements, if possible)
KANSAS CITY
WATERLAND
AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE (new interviews with dir. Jane Campion)
MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO
EVEN COWGIRLS GET THE BLUES (deleted scenes from first cut)
METROPOLITAN
CORRUPT a/k/a COP KILLER
THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS
SINCERELY CHARLOTTE
WIDE SARGASSO SEA
THE BALLAD OF LITTLE JO
LEGEND OF SPIDER FOREST
EAT THE RICH
------------------
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I believe Legend of 1900 was released on VHS in Canada only... and my guess was that it was released for rent exclusively at Hollywood video (like Croupier, also released on video/dvd only in Canada aside from Hollywood Video).

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It occurred to me also recently that yet another Fine Line title, the Independent Pictures production BUDDY BOY, has not surfaced in any tape or DVD form. I heard many good things about the movie during it's brief L.A. run, and finding out that DAYS OF HEAVEN and GUMMO star Linda Manz appears in it makes me all the more curious.
No one is saying that the less-successful Fine Line and New Line releases need to be Infinifilm or Platinum Editions. But there is a great and influential back catalog of film in the New Line library that is not being used to its potential.

Dave-A

Auditioning
THE LEGEND OF 1900 has been released on DVD in Canada. Running time is approx. 125 minutes. The DVD is Widescreen (2.35:1) with English 5.1 & 2.0 and French 2.0 with optional English Subtitles. You can order it from most Canadian online retailers. It's available at VideoFlicks.com for around $21.
Link Removed

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope someone asks New Line about MAN OF THE CENTURY during the chat coming up. This movie is great, and deserves a DVD release.
------------------
-Rodney
No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
6479.jpg

The two disc 165 min special edition (2.35:1, 16x9, 5.1) of Legend of 1900 is available from www.dvd.it
It is, of course, R2 PAL. May be of some interest to multiregion enabled people.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
The continuing absence of Short Cuts on DVD is unbelievable. Please New Line, let's have this classic scheduled for some time this year.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any news on MAN OF THE CENTURY coming out on DVD? I would love to purchase this very funny movie!

DaveCheung

Agent
THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS is coming from Home Vision, if I remember correctly, from the Criterion chat we had here earlier.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thank you Image and New Line for "Man of the Century" coming to DVD on August 6! Woo-hoo! Johnny Twennies is back.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
It would appear New Line is flexing their autonomy within Time Warner by licensing their fringe titles to Image. This is a good thing. We get the movies finally, and Image seems to be interested in assembling special features for them, which would beat the barebones releases New Line would likely saddle them with.

Maybe now we will finally get widescreen editions of LOVERS OF THE ARCTIC CIRCLE and BUDDY BOY.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
As a New Liner who came aboard shortly after LEGEND OF 1900 was released, I know that the film was perceived as a misfire by Fine Line, but that still doesn't help me understand why it's never been released on home video at all (it does show up on Starz from time to time) unless there's some sort of problem with the foreign company (Penta) which produced it. Fine Line cut a large chunk out of it, which might explain some ill will between the original company and themselves, which might have been perceived as a breach of contract or something, I'm not sure.
Another one I'm curious about is the gorgeous scope film LOVERS OF THE ARCTIC CIRCLE, not to mention earlier arthouse flicks like WATERLAND which haven't had any release yet either.
Catalog titles seem to be a nonexistent concern for both New Line and Fine Line, which is really a drag.
1900 is a sleeper that finally came on to dvd but never went beyond that~ you say that Fine Line cut "a large chunk out of it", exactly how much was removed from the film? it has won several awards from around the world yet you'd never suspect that it is hard as hens theeth to even find a dvd of it!!

A BD or 4K would be amazing but I'm not holding my breath!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I am extremely perplexed and upset that two recent art films from New Line subsidiary Fine Line Features have not been issued in any format, tape or DVD. Those are the very funny MAN OF THE CENTURY, which I was lucky enough to project at the Nuart back in '99, and Giuseppe Tornatore's LEGEND OF 1900 (a/k/a LEGEND OF THE PIANIST ON THE OCEAN) with Tim Roth. Almost every single Fine Line film before and after these two have made it onto one format if not both, and I cannot understand what the holdup is with these films. Can anyone from the company help me out with this question?
I would really like to own MAN OF THE CENTURY. The clever idea of a '20's character living in the present made me laugh hard, especially with the lead's commitment to period detail; using an old typewriter, tossing out hard boiled slang, and general obliviousness to any potential anachronisms. This is a cult film waiting to find its audience, and deserves a shot on DVD.
------------------

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I believe Legend of 1900 was released on VHS in Canada only... and my guess was that it was released for rent exclusively at Hollywood video (like Croupier, also released on video/dvd only in Canada aside from Hollywood Video).
All these years later, and there is a Canadian VHS and DVD and now a Italian BD version towting it is te "Uncut" version? But no mention of restoration or runtime?

Attachments

• 71ax6UpDZbL._SL1024_.jpg
    71ax6UpDZbL._SL1024_.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 819M1BnCAjL._SL1126_.jpg
    819M1BnCAjL._SL1126_.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 83

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
THE LEGEND OF 1900 has been released on DVD in Canada. Running time is approx. 125 minutes. The DVD is Widescreen (2.35:1) with English 5.1 & 2.0 and French 2.0 with optional English Subtitles. You can order it from most Canadian online retailers. It's available at VideoFlicks.com for around $21.
Link Removed
here is the Italian BD at Amazon -

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just caught wind of this "uncut" version on blu ray from Italy - it is region 2 but still!!

Attachments

• 71ax6UpDZbL._SL1024_.jpg
    71ax6UpDZbL._SL1024_.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 819M1BnCAjL._SL1126_.jpg
    819M1BnCAjL._SL1126_.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 84

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would also really like to see Man of the Century. Saw a clip on Ebert that looked interesting and funny, but it never played in Atlanta.
Legend of 1900 did play here, but I didn't go see it. I caught a bit of it on Starz the other day and would like to it as well.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks