What's new

Duke Nukem Forever.... beyond a joke. (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Last year, this was my most anticipated title. But the delays have gone from annoying, to silly, to hilarious, to just plain ludicrous. I don't care how good it is (if it ever gets released), its just so unprofessional, and I don't plan on getting it. Anyone know of any more specific reasons for the monthly delays? What are 3D Realams playing at?

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I figured people stopped caring about it all together. The sad thing is when they showed the video at E3 (LAST YEAR's E3) it looked like it was either coming along or almost done. What a colossal waste of time and resources.

I haven't followed it because, as I said, I stopped caring, but have they ever given a reason for the delays?

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
What's unprofessional? That it gets "delayed" until it's done or that they don't give out any information on it? And how can it have monthly delays if they've never announced a release date?

I always found it funny that the Acronym for Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) was the same as Did Not Finish.

I still anxiously await it.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
DNF shows all the signs of becoming the next Daikatana.

The graphics engine is yesterdays news and if the game is delayed much further it risks being overshadowed by the next generation of the Unreal engine. Besides, Doom 3 is on the horizon and it looks fantastic!

Daikatana had gameplay that was acceptable for the time when it was first developed and the first screenshots looked incredible. The constant delays made the engine obsolete and the gameplay was overshadowed by Half-Life. At the time of its release, Daikatana was a joke!

3D Realms, like Ion Storm, appears to have the cash to keep the game in development for as long as it takes. I wonder if DNF won't be overripe by the time it's released.

Still, Duke Nukem 3D was a lot of fun. I'm hoping they can keep the spirit alive for DNF.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
And how can it have monthly delays if they've never announced a release date?
:b You're right about that one. Badly worded on my part.

In my defence I have noticed at least 3 different release dates on Amazon.com since January.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Amazon.com pretty much just makes up release dates when they don't have anything else to go on.
Anywho, forget DNF. Where the hell is "Prey"? :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
3D Realms, like Ion Storm, appears to have the cash to keep the game in development for as long as it takes.
Ion Storm *didn't* have the cash... It cost their investors a HUGE fortune & the game limped along towards the end as Eidos weren't even close to being happy with it. Daikatana came out & flopped sales wise. DNF is not going to do that - it will sell a LOT of copies.

3D Realms are stinking rich, DNF is already paid for with a huge cash advance & they don't need to rush it to get money. They're in a great position of being able to do whatever they want - there's only a handful of developers in the same situation of power.

Content rich games take a while. I think its development cycle is a joke too... But I know /why/ they're doing it that way. Good on them.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
just as long as they don't switch engines again I think we will see the game this year. If we don't it will be very overshadowed by Doom III's 2003 launch.

Peter_A

Second Unit
Why is taking them so long when a game like Soldier of Fortune 2 only takes a couple of years to be released after the first one? Don't tell me that it's because they are using the same code, because as I recall the first one was using the Quake 2 engine and the second is using Quake 3 technology?

But yeah, DNF is pretty much forgotten and will be another Daikatana. Sure it'll sell just on the name alone, but it won't be anything to write home about.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
It is absurd to say Duke Nukem will be another Daikatana. Daikatana would have sucked no matter WHEN it came out. It was just a bad game, period, with or with out the latest graphic's engine. Nothing would have made those baby robot alligators and mosquitoes fun to fight. So that is a stupid comparison.
3DRealms is taking their time because they can afford to. That is SO MUCH better than having to rush a game out because you have a publisher breathing down your neck.
Is it taking a really long time? Sure, but so what? What difference does it make? Just go about your regular life, play some other games, and when the new Duke Nukem is finally released, check it out and see what you think. It is as simple as that. No reason to get upset.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
If it ever does come out, I'm predicting about 30 megs of patches within the first month. It always happens on games that are delayed that long. It's strange because you would think they would have a lot more time to do it right.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Ion Storm *didn't* have the cash... It cost their investors a HUGE fortune & the game limped along towards the end as Eidos weren't even close to being happy with it. Daikatana came out & flopped sales wise. DNF is not going to do that - it will sell a LOT of copies.
Heh...well. Maybe it will sell lots of copies. I doubt I will buy it. Sorry, I never cared all that much for the DN series anyway. Also, as others have mentioned, it's going to find itself launched close to other huge titles. Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal II, and Doom III if it's not careful. Just look at the screen shots of DNF compared to these games. DNF already looks dated with no release date yet on the horizon. It better be a damn good single player game, because I can't see how anybody but die-hard DN fans will bother with the multiplayer with games like UT2K3 and Doom III out there. I won't.

Aaron

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Daikatana would have sucked no matter WHEN it came out. It was just a bad game, period, with or with out the latest graphic's engine. Nothing would have made those baby robot alligators and mosquitoes fun to fight. So that is a stupid comparison.
Come on!

Equally idiotic 3D shooters have been released to a better public reception than Daikatana. Moronic ideas are a dime a dozen in games. What makes Daikatana so much more stupid in concept than, say, gun-toting angels in a sci-fi setting (Requiem) and timetravelling tribal warriors (Turok)?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Uh - robot baby alligators, for one thing.

I can't say anything about Turok, because I didn't play it, but I actually liked Requiem. It was much, much better than Daikatana. I'm not sure what your point is here. Did the fact that Daikatana was overly hyped contribute to its critical bashing? Sure. But hype or no hype, delay or no delay, it was still a bad game. And no matter how good or bad Duke Nukem turns out to be, it hasn't been hyped the way Daikatana was. Just because both games took a long time to come out, doesn't mean they are somehow the same. Didn't Halo take a long time to come out? Is it just like Daikatana?

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
My original point was that had Daikatana been finished and released much, much earlier the reception might have been more favourable. Even at the state it is actually in.

The gameplay was adequate for a shooter in 1997, but certainly not for the year 2000. Times changed and Daikatana stayed behind.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
In the spirit of DNF being delayed for such a long time, I bring up another.
What ever happened to Team Fortress 2? :D ;)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
What ever happened to Team Fortress 2?
They pretty much scrapped the entire game about 2 years ago and decided to start over. Who knows where they are at now, but it seems like Valve puts more time into Half-Life then they do working on new games.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
In fairness to DNF, it is not unusual for games to be delayed from one year to the next or even over multiple years. I'm just not sure how that engine can compete with Doom 3. They'd better hope that the Doom engine is a major resource bear...
As for Team Fortress 2, I was really looking forward to this title once upon a time, but now I've discovered other ways to get that fix, such as Operation Flashpoint, and my thirst for it has waned dramatically.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Hey at least they named it Duke Nukem Forever, so there is truth in advertising. It could have been called Duke Nukem Right Around the Corner and everyone would have been pissed. :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I could never understand why people get so upset when games don't come out in timely fashion. Its not like the people complaining are sitting at their computers for 80 hour work weeks coding it trying to get it finished. All you gotta do is buy or don't buy. Why the whining?

These companies don't owe any of us anything. They are there to make money and if they can afford to not produce anything for a few years then rah rah for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks