What's new

All-New Looney Tunes Movie on the Way! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be an animation/live-action hybrid (hopefully like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and not Cool World) and production starts in June.
The man behind the camera for this will be Joe Dante, a filmmaker who holds a special place in hearts of movie freaks all over the world. (Innerspace, Explorers, Matinee, Gremlins, Gremlins 2, The Howling, The 'burbs, Small Soldiers and Piranha! What a career!)
So back to this Looney Tunes movie. Here's the quote that compelled me to share this news with you all:
I'm a bit leery of any "new" Looney Tunes productions, but it seems as if Warner hired the right director for the job. I'm tentatively excited to hear more about this project.
To read the full article, please click here.
(Thanks to Dark Horizons for the scoop!)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Hope this turns out pretty good, especially since Space Jam sucked pretty hard and strong. Hope Taz has at least a cameo in this one since he's my favorite character along with Foghorn Leghorn and Marvin the Martian.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I hope they get back to the mischevious Bugs Bunny of the earlier cartoons. I don't know about anyone else, but I always felt bugs was funniest when he was tormenting Elmer Fudd or whoever just for the sheer joy of tormenting them. Later on Chuck Jones would pacify Bugs a bit, and make sure he retaliated in response to something. The bugs Bunny of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is the bugs I love, the middle design between the early tex avery and the later chuck jones. The Bob Clampett Bugs Bunny was by far the funniest of the lot.

If they can really give the Looney Tunes back the edge they've lost, I'll be very happy.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
If they can really give the Looney Tunes back the edge they've lost
I don't think that's possible. The charm of the old Looney Tunes, the animation, the voices, etc. I don't think they can get that back. If it says new Looney Tunes, then it's not true Looney Tunes.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
If it says new Looney Tunes, then it's not true Looney Tunes.
Agreed. You can redraw the characters but it won't be the same. Without Mel Blanc, I don't see hope. Noel Blanc tries hard, but he just isn't as talented as his dad was and his impersonations seem more distracting than engaging.

Bruce

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Joe Dante is THE director who could make a great new LT movie. He's a fan of the classic cartoons, too.

Joe Alaskey and Jeff Bergman did GREAT recreations of the classic cartoon voices. Alaskey's Yosemite Sam is great (he took over that voice in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Mel Blanc had difficulty doing that voice).

Billy West was just awful for the voices in Space Jam...only Porky and Daffy require speed-up in sound...yet it seems like Bugs, Tweety, and even Elmer had sped up voices! Bleh.

Kami

Screenwriter
Screw this, just give me all the original Looney Toons on DVD please! ;)
That being said, let's hope this turns out good, though I agree it's going to be hard to capture the feel of the old looney toons. Ah well.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm not going to get my hopes up. All I want are the original cartoons on DVD. I was riveted to June Bugs when it aired on Cartoon Network. Nothing since has been able to capture that madcap hilarity.

Ofcourse, you know THIS means WAR!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This seems awfully quick to produce a feature with a significant animated component, and in fact the speed at which it is coming together is astonishing. I'm hopeful - Joe Dante seems perfect for this - but I must admit, I'm amazed it's happening.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
(Takes a deep breath...)
The villain has been cast...
As the devious head of the Acme corporation...
Foe of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck...
Working with the brilliant Joe Dante for the very first time...
Steve Martin
(Early word was that he was set for a cameo appearance, but the wonderful bastards over at www.chud.com report that he now certainly seems to be the 'head baddie'.)
Am I nuts, or does this project (Brendan Fraser nonwithstanding) sound like a true gift from the heavens? (So far anyway...)
Anyway, this casting tidbit absolutely lit my entire day up, as the actor in question is one of my all-time lifelong heroes. :):):):)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Scott, that is killer casting!! And Fraser will be fine - he's got the goofy All-American hero thing going which will probably work quite well here.
Something to look forward to next year (in addition to RotK, of course).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Boy, this sounds good. Now, please don't excommunicate me, but I have to be honest; I kinda, sorta half-way enjoyed parts of Space Jam. Bill Murray always makes me at least crack a smile :rolleyes
But, the portrayals of these characters were not the ones I grew up with. I am in agreement with everyone else here in that Joe Dante is the perfect director for this project, and it seems like they really are making a solid attempt to recapture the old magic. I like the casting of Brendan Fraser and Steve Martin
as well.
Looks like Warners is finally doing something right with one of their franchises. Can't wait :D

Louis C

Supporting Actor
No one thinks this should instead be fully animated instead of mixed with live action?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks