-

Photo
- - - - -

All-New Looney Tunes Movie on the Way!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted May 31 2002 - 09:06 PM

It's going to be an animation/live-action hybrid (hopefully like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and not Cool World) and production starts in June.

The man behind the camera for this will be Joe Dante, a filmmaker who holds a special place in hearts of movie freaks all over the world. (Innerspace, Explorers, Matinee, Gremlins, Gremlins 2, The Howling, The 'burbs, Small Soldiers and Piranha! What a career!)

So back to this Looney Tunes movie. Here's the quote that compelled me to share this news with you all:

Dante calls this project the "Anti-Space Jam" movie and says Warner Brothers executives have acknowledged that the Micheal Jordan film was a real piece of crap that basically "homogenized the classic characters to the point where they had no real personality or future creative potential." Dante wants to bring the "edge" back to the characters displayed in the original cartoons.

And here's another solid quote:

He says the animation work in the film will be traditional 2-D animation, and sites "The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle" as an example how some "flat, 2-D characters should NEVER be produced in 3-D computer animation." Details about the cast and story are being held in secret at the present, but whispers in the air at Wonderfest suggested that Jackie Chan would be starring opposite Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and the other cartoon icons. Since Jackie is basically a live-action, slapstick cartoon character anyway, it's not hard to imagine how this could work.

I'm a bit leery of any "new" Looney Tunes productions, but it seems as if Warner hired the right director for the job. I'm tentatively excited to hear more about this project.

To read the full article, please click here.

(Thanks to Dark Horizons for the scoop!)

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson

Second Unit

• 347 posts

Posted May 31 2002 - 09:45 PM

Hope this turns out pretty good, especially since Space Jam sucked pretty hard and strong. Hope Taz has at least a cameo in this one since he's my favorite character along with Foghorn Leghorn and Marvin the Martian.
In the end only the fittest survive in this world. If you are strong you live...and if you are weak you die. I am the one who deserves to live. - Shishio Makoto

What's really gonna make your noodle limp is when you realize that Thomas Anderson is an anagram for "No Modern Asshat".
Deep... -...

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted June 01 2002 - 04:55 AM

I hope they get back to the mischevious Bugs Bunny of the earlier cartoons. I don't know about anyone else, but I always felt bugs was funniest when he was tormenting Elmer Fudd or whoever just for the sheer joy of tormenting them. Later on Chuck Jones would pacify Bugs a bit, and make sure he retaliated in response to something. The bugs Bunny of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is the bugs I love, the middle design between the early tex avery and the later chuck jones. The Bob Clampett Bugs Bunny was by far the funniest of the lot.

If they can really give the Looney Tunes back the edge they've lost, I'll be very happy.
Geoffrey Adams

Apply Kung-Fu liberally as needed.

Visit my Web Comic!

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted June 01 2002 - 06:26 AM

Quote:
If they can really give the Looney Tunes back the edge they've lost

I don't think that's possible. The charm of the old Looney Tunes, the animation, the voices, etc. I don't think they can get that back. If it says new Looney Tunes, then it's not true Looney Tunes.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke

Screenwriter

• 2,249 posts

Posted June 01 2002 - 07:08 AM

Quote:
If it says new Looney Tunes, then it's not true Looney Tunes.

Agreed. You can redraw the characters but it won't be the same. Without Mel Blanc, I don't see hope. Noel Blanc tries hard, but he just isn't as talented as his dad was and his impersonations seem more distracting than engaging.

Bruce
The Mads are calling

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 01 2002 - 07:56 AM

Joe Dante is THE director who could make a great new LT movie. He's a fan of the classic cartoons, too.

Joe Alaskey and Jeff Bergman did GREAT recreations of the classic cartoon voices. Alaskey's Yosemite Sam is great (he took over that voice in Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Mel Blanc had difficulty doing that voice).

Billy West was just awful for the voices in Space Jam...only Porky and Daffy require speed-up in sound...yet it seems like Bugs, Tweety, and even Elmer had sped up voices! Bleh.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted June 01 2002 - 10:02 AM

Don't forget. JUNE BUGS is on cartoon network NOW!
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Kami

Kami

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted June 01 2002 - 10:12 AM

Screw this, just give me all the original Looney Toons on DVD please! Posted Image

That being said, let's hope this turns out good, though I agree it's going to be hard to capture the feel of the old looney toons. Ah well.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted June 11 2002 - 05:12 AM

According to Variety:

Brendan Fraser will star in Warner Bros. Pictures' "Looney Tunes: Back in Action," a pic blending animation and live action that Joe Dante will direct. Pic begins production July 29 for a November 2003 release.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   John Spencer

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts

Posted June 11 2002 - 05:31 AM

This could be good. Fraser does slapstick well. He was great in George of the Jungle.
Never heard of this. I'm a honky.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted June 11 2002 - 05:58 AM

I'm not going to get my hopes up. All I want are the original cartoons on DVD. I was riveted to June Bugs when it aired on Cartoon Network. Nothing since has been able to capture that madcap hilarity.

Quote:
Ofcourse, you know THIS means WAR!

This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 11 2002 - 06:23 AM

This seems awfully quick to produce a feature with a significant animated component, and in fact the speed at which it is coming together is astonishing. I'm hopeful - Joe Dante seems perfect for this - but I must admit, I'm amazed it's happening.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted June 11 2002 - 07:17 AM

If anybody can do it, Joe Dante can.

Space Jam can rot in celluloid hell. First movie I'd walked out on in a decade.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted October 24 2002 - 10:55 AM

(Takes a deep breath...)

The villain has been cast...

As the devious head of the Acme corporation...

Foe of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck...

Working with the brilliant Joe Dante for the very first time...

Steve Martin

(Early word was that he was set for a cameo appearance, but the wonderful bastards over at www.chud.com report that he now certainly seems to be the 'head baddie'.)

Am I nuts, or does this project (Brendan Fraser nonwithstanding) sound like a true gift from the heavens? (So far anyway...)

Anyway, this casting tidbit absolutely lit my entire day up, as the actor in question is one of my all-time lifelong heroes. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,509 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted October 24 2002 - 11:57 AM

Scott, that is killer casting!! And Fraser will be fine - he's got the goofy All-American hero thing going which will probably work quite well here.

Something to look forward to next year (in addition to RotK, of course).

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 01:29 AM

Justice will be served if Pete Puma has a major role.

"How many lumps do you want?"

"oh, 3 or 4"

You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted October 25 2002 - 01:49 AM

Boy, this sounds good. Now, please don't excommunicate me, but I have to be honest; I kinda, sorta half-way enjoyed parts of Space Jam. Bill Murray always makes me at least crack a smile Posted Image

But, the portrayals of these characters were not the ones I grew up with. I am in agreement with everyone else here in that Joe Dante is the perfect director for this project, and it seems like they really are making a solid attempt to recapture the old magic. I like the casting of Brendan Fraser and
Steve Martin
as well.

Looks like Warners is finally doing something right with one of their franchises. Can't wait Posted Image
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted October 28 2002 - 12:31 AM

Well, this just keeps on getting better and better: http://www.fangoria....icle.php?id=532
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Louis C

Louis C

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted October 28 2002 - 01:49 PM

No one thinks this should instead be fully animated instead of mixed with live action?

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,519 posts

Posted November 01 2002 - 04:54 AM

Quote:
Well, this just keeps on getting better and better: http://www.fangoria....icle.php?id=532

Come on guys, I can't be the only one excited about this. Posted Image

Quote:
No one thinks this should instead be fully animated instead of mixed with live action?

I dunno; I think it could work either way. I'm just glad Dante is working on it.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow