What's new

World Cup appreciation thread - games are on NOW! (1 Viewer)

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
If you think soccer sucks, don't bother posting here.

I just checked ESPN.com and Senegal is up 1-0 on France! Surprising, since France is the fav to win it all. Is anyone watching this game? I saw the first few min before leaving the house, and Sengal was going with one striker and 5 defenders, and their strategy wast to play for the tie. I guess that's working out OK for them.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Watched the first half, had to go into work, can't get decent reception on my TV. Bah.

And I can't find anywhere online doing coverage. Bah.

Watching the World Cup in the US sucks :-(

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Saw the goal ... the Senegal player was on the GROUND (literally) when he scored.

France is lacking passion in todays game .. there are 5 minutes still left.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
France played well - just well enough. Senegal played well in the stuff I saw. The goal was very scrappy & against the run of play. France's defence really should have done better.

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
What a great game.

Even with Senegals tactics being ultra defensive, they still looked dangerous. The other two teams in the group had better watch out because I am assuming Senegal will come out of their shell and attack more.

Wonderful tackling the entire game by the upstart African's.

Watched the first half, had to go into work, can't get decent reception on my TV. Bah.
No cable for ESPN2? Were you trying to get the game OTA on a local Univision affiliate?

Bright start to the tournament to say the least.

I think the two teams hit the post or cross bar 5 times during the game.

Andy

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No cable for ESPN2? Were you trying to get the game OTA on a local Univision affiliate?
No cable, so it was Univision over the airwaves. We get terrible reception though so it's nothing new - too much computer equipment etc.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I'm not too familiar with the World Cup. Does anyone know whether there was an opening ceremonies, a la the Olympics? And if so, were the ceremonies televised (rebroadcast)?
I was born in Seoul...I'd like to see if I can catch a glimpse of some of the family on the tube. ;)

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not too familiar with the World Cup. Does anyone know whether there was an opening ceremonies, a la the Olympics? And if so, were the ceremonies televised (rebroadcast)?
I was watching ESPN2 this morning and they showed bits and pieces of the opening ceremonies and the announcers both mentioned that they were out of this world. Someone also mentioned this on another thread.

I do not know if Univision showed more of the ceremonies.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, f**k. On the original broadcast schedule that I looked at a couple of weeks ago, it said that the England - Sweden game was going to be shown live on ESPN, at 2:30 AM. Now, looking at http://worldcup.espnsoccernet.com/st...210727&lang=us it says that the game will be taped and shown at 12:30 PM on ABC... :frowning: It's nice of them, I guess, but I would have preferred to see it live, not wait for 10 hours (at which point I will already know the result).
I guess I need to catch Univision.
Great game this morning, by the way. France had a great game, too bad they couldn't sneak the ball in, especially during the last few minutes when they had some good chances.
/Mike

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks Andy.

they showed bits and pieces of the opening ceremonies
Sigh...one would think that for the world's largest sporting event, the opening ceremonies would be televised in whole. I scanned the entire schedule for ESPN/ABC's and could not find any information on the ceremonies. Only the games.

Andy_B

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Note that the Ireland Cameroon game will be handled the same way on tape delay. If you want to watch the Ireland or the England game live, Univision is your best bet.

Andy

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
On a slight sidenote, how about the new Nike soccer/football commercial? The tanker with 24 of the world's best players, 3 on 3 games, 1 goal wins. I heard Terry Gilliam directed. I wish the commercial was longer (how often does someone say that?), I'd take a dvd of all the footage they shot as I read on espn.com a while ago that they shot a lot of footage of the players just playing (not just scripted game outcomes and the like).

Aaron

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Paul: You guys are lucky over there. I have a feeling Nike may release a longer version in theaters here, as they had one after the '98 WC that played in theaters (a building infiltration to steal a ball). And that Roger Ebert can certainly be a funny guy sometimes :)
Edit: so I just went to nikesoccer.com and they have downloads for every match of the tournament for the commercial/ad. Now I really wish I had a broadband internet connection.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks