What's new

Andy Warhol's Horror Movies...My Thoughts (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
A horror friend of mine let borrow the Criterion Collection editions of Blood for Dracula and Flesh For Frankenstein.
I thought seeing the Criterion Collection symbol before the movie meant "classic"...Boy was I wrong.
In the spirit of movies such as Cannibal Holocaust(considered a snuff film), Jungle Holocaust or Buio Omega which are ****. Oh, and they also are diseases to the art of film making. Paul Morrissey has unleashed a plague, in the form of Flesh For Frankenstein and Blood For Dracula. Filmed back to back in Italy, they are the pinnacle of trash and exploitation films.
My thoughts? I do not know how I was able to watch both films in their entirety. I'm almost at a loss of words to describe how bad Flesh For Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula are.
What are your thoughts?

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
You do seem to be at a loss for words. It's difficult to address your concerns about the films, since you only offer us a very general sense of objection without the benefit of having a list of particulars which you find objectionable.

...they are the pinnacle of trash and exploitation films.

Are they trash? A reasonable person may certainly think so, but this dialogue isn't going to go anywhere until you get into why you think this is so. And just who or what is being exploited?

One needs to understand that these films are satire above all else. Did you listen to Paul Morrissey's commentaries by any chance? They are rather good and will help you to better understand what he was after. I suggest you listen to them and then come back here if you're still unsatisfied.

Regards,
Don

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, in order to listen to Morrissey's comments you must also sit through those of Maurice Yacowar. Discussion of symbolism can be interesting, but Flesh For Frankenstein was so over-analyzed I almost couldn't stand it(Blood For Dracula was tolerable). That aside, I would say they're worth a listen(if you still have the discs)...

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
It's been years since I've seen these, but I do remember laughing out loud (in a good way) at both of them. Udo Kier is a lot of fun to watch. I guess it helps if one likes movies that most people consider trash (such as John Waters' early ones). I haven't picked up the Criterion editions of these yet, but they are on my want list at dvdempire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks