What's new

Long Kiss Goodnight observations (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
since getting a progressive scan dvd player, i've been revisting some of the older dvd's that came out in 1997 and 1998 to see who they stand up (especially after people are saying HEAT is a good looking disc for something that came out in 1999, something i strongly disagree with).

Anyway, last night I watched THE LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, the ultimate guilty pleasure. I was amazed at how good this disc SOUNDS, it's probably one of the best discs i've heard in a long time! I was also pleasantly surprised by the image - in fact, if they had dual-layered it, it would have been hard to beat.

But i noticed one strange thing - the black bars on my 16:9 tv were much larger on this dvd than any other 2.35:1 dvd's. was this movie shot in a wider apsect ratio? i was even more surprised to see that it was open matte after looking at the pan and scan version. The pan and scan virtually takes NO picture away from the sides, and adds everything to the top and bottom. The widescreen version is of course preferred, but to have detail stand up when cropped to 2.35:1 when shot open-matte is surprising.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well you know, i would, but i don't have a LD player anymore. PQ didn't live up to today's standards on my 16:9.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They look very good on my 4:3 HDTV. :)
That acknowledged, I generally take an anamorphic transfer over DTS sound, I mostly use LD for titles that you can't get on DVD.
But the DTS version of Long Kiss Goodnight really does sound fantastic.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I also found Long Kiss Goodnight's framing much better on the "full frame" side, the widescreen side seemed way over matted. That said, I own a widescreen set, so I'll never watch the open matte version.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I owned the LD of LKG in DTS and it sounded unbelievable!!!!!! Awesome!!! Very Dynamic ! I just hope they will go back and give this awesome action flick a SE with DTS to boot!!!
Later !
T r o y

Ernesto Santos

Stunt Coordinator
As far as the larger black bars could it be because this disc is not anamorphic? I use an HTPC (I am able to scale the image to suit) and all my older discs that are non-anamorphic seem to be wider than the anamorphic ones.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
hmm...well, my RP91 scales nonanamorphic discs, and the box makes no mention of 16:9 enhancement, but it sure *looked* anamorphic, and the few reviews i could find of the disc mentioned that i t was anamorphic.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well, i checked a few more reviews and they only say it's letterboxed. if this is the case, it's by far the best case of scaling my RP91 has ever done, and probably the best nonanamorphic disc i've ever seen (it used to be The Game).

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Long Kiss Goodnight on DVD is definitely anamorphically enhanced. A very good disc, with a killer soundtrack.

Adam

HenrikTull

Second Unit
The Long Kiss Goodnight on DVD is definitely anamorphically enhanced. A very good disc, with a killer soundtrack.
Yup.

Older pressings had no mention of the flick being anamorphic widescreen on the cover, while newer ones, like mine, does.

Anyway, completly agree on the soundtrack. It's amazing.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've thought from time-to-time about picking this up. I see it all the time for about $15. I always thought I'd wait till it got to under $10.
Y'all are SERIOUSLY changing my mind here.... :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I just picked this up today for a mere $9.96 at Wal-Mart!
Definately anamorphic on the WS side.
There's a whole bunch of other OAR titles on that $9.96 display. Check the Weekly Roundup for a complete list, obtained while being eyed with suspicion by Wal-Mart employees! :laugh:

Colton

Supporting Actor
"Oh, honey, only four inches?"
"You'll feel me."

I love that exchange. Great movie!

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks