Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What are the chances of a rerelease of Die Hard into the theater?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:03 AM

My reason for asking is next year is Die Hard's 15th anniversary. I was too young to see it when it first came out in theaters. Over the years it has become my favorite movie. And no matter how many times I watch on my 55" WS, it just doesn't compare to seeing it on the big screen. Thanks for your time.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Thrall

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:14 AM

I'd guess pretty low, at least for now. Movies about terrorists blowing up buildings is not something they're going to want to touch for a while. Maybe in a couple of years they'd think about it.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Wes C

Wes C

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:16 AM

Nearly impossible!

Each one could reflect someway about 9-11. Alot people still dont like seeing that stuff.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,633 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:26 AM

Well, I don't know about the 9-11 issues. "Die Hard" was one of the most requested/rented titles in the immediate aftermath of the attack. The public at-large is not as sensitive to these things as many people seem to think.

But after years on video, and two releases on DVD, I don't think it's coming back to theaters.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:28 AM

Actually, I'd think the 9-11 thing would be almost irrelevent. It's just a recent movie, readily available to watch at home, that would be released largely unchanged. Even for something as spectacular as Die Hard is, it'll be tough to convince people to pay to see something they already have on tape/disc.

Admittedly, Fox wouldn't have to invest much, so it would be a good risk for them, but how many theaters are going to program it?
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Eric Thrall

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 07:55 AM

Considering how disappointing most recent movie re-releases have been, it's unlikely they'd re-release one that would be likely to generate protests. I don't know if people would go to see it or not (I would), but it would be bad publicity for them. That's where 9-11 comes into play - even if they want to re-release more movies (and they probably don't), they'd make a safer pick than this right now.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed, but try not to get my hopes up.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection