What's new

Buffy Musical DVD in yesterday's Variety (1 Viewer)

Marc_B

Auditioning
I don't think this was posted here, but yesterday's Variety included a "for your Emmy consideration" DVD of the the Buffy musical episode - it was only sent to certain subscribers (mostly studio types - which, luckily, my brother is :) )
Here's a link to an article about it
Link Removed

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Grrrrrr...Arrrghh!

My wife and I would kill for that DVD! She is the biggest Buffy fan! It will be quite awhile before they release season 6 on DVD.

Ric

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Yeah, I'd love to get it too, but not at the $100+ prices it's already commanding on ebay. Well, at least I'll be able to pick it up on R2 DVD in about a year...

Anyone know if the disc is anamorphically enhanced (tee-hee) or in 5.1?

mike.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully prices will calm down in a bit, but who knows? I wish a HTF member would get one of these(preferably me :) ) so we could find out if it's anamorphic or not. I've read lots of posts at other places, but no one has mentioned it.
-Dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As The High Priest o' Joss, there is no bigger Buffy fan than I am
I am greatly deserving of one of these discs, if the gods whom Lord Whedon serves (Gods o' Fox that is) would permit it. I have kept the faith isn't thy humble servant deserving of his own Buffytastic disc? :)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Auctions on eBay seem to be going for over $250. So I'll wait the two years for the season 6 boxset.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
There seem to be alot of copies for auction on Ebay right now. Are we sure these just went out to Emmy voters or did anyone with a subscription get one? I went to my local News stand just in case. Thinking they might put them in the regular mags as they do with CD-Roms for gaming magazines... no luck!

-Ric

Marc_B

Auditioning
My sister's friend called over to Variety yesterday, and they pretty much told her the dvd was sent to "select" subscribers only, and that no further copies were available.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
There are some insane Buffy fans out there. Check out this Ebay auction for one of the discs. It stands at $455 at the time of this posting, with 26hrs left to go. Why? Hopefully FOX will see the outrageous prices people are paying for this disc, and put it out on the market ASAP! It would be a tremendous service to fans.
[edit]700th post WOOHOO![/edit]

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Anyone see a good scan of the cover art of the magazine and/or DVD? I'm curious what the text says in the star...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
This Dope doesn't know it's a DVD... I bet the bidders do though!
The text in the star on the cover of Variety appears to say..."The best and most ambitious episode produced by any series this season!" It looks like it's a quote from someone from USA Today, but I can't make out the name.
-Ric

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I guess most of us will just have to wait about 2 or 3 years for season 6 on DVD. :frowning: I wonder if those fools on eBay are selling them just to make a few bucks. That disc is a keeper even when season 6 comes to DVD.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
One of these guys is selling TEN of them! What a nice tidy profit. Yeah, it looks like they were very selective to who they sent the Variety issues to.

Lost my last crazy bid btw! I'm still workin' on a cover ibn the hopes that i can get one for my wife though.

-Ric

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it looks like they were very selective to who they sent the Variety issues to.
If one guy is selling ten then someone screwed up several times over. I can understand sending one out and that person watching it and then selling it. But ten to one person? I am thinking he got them through other means. Yea, he is making a tidy profit and the poor schmucks who would really cherish it have to pay an outrageous price to try and win one. :angry:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
And, in a darkest hour of denial for his High Priest, Lord Whedon looked down upon his humble servant, and called unto his masters to bless him with gifts undeserving for such a man

The disc is non-anamorphic and DD 2.0, direct off of the NTSC broadcast master tape (it even still has the ID card in front) 10 chapters, 51 minutes of show at an average bitrate of around 7.0Mbps

Transfer is very clean, no detectable edge enhancement. The image looks a little soft, but it's characteristic of the show. Sound is very very clear. I haven't checked it on my PC yet, but this is high bitrate DD 2.0 from what I can tell.

The disc is housed in a soft vinyl folder with a pocket in which there are 2 slips, kind-of like CD inserts in terms of paper/size. On the back are the nominations that they wish you to consider

Outstanding Drama Series:
Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Sarah Michelle Gellar

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series
Joss Whedon

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Joss Whedon

Outstanding Music and Lyrics
Joss Whedon: "Under Your Spell"

Outstanding Music Direction
Jesse Tobias and Christophe Beck

Outstanding Choreography
Adam Shankman

Ric, you can grab a clean version of the logo off of the menu screen, which has exactly 1 button, "Play"

Overall, what can I say but

" ****: Soooo Buffytastic™ "

PS: No, I'm not selling, you will have to pry this disc from my cold dead hands, and then worry about the poltergeist that's going to haunt you for all eternity

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
WOW!
How the Sam Hill did you get it!?
I'm still workin' on a cover for it to give to my wife...
Uh, that's assuming that I can ever lay my hands on one...
Thanks for all the info on it!
Jeff did you get the Variety issue too? I was wondering if the quote on the front is from Robert Bianco -USA Today.
Well I guess it's back to Ebay for me :frowning:
Grrrrr... Arrgghhh!
Ric

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The quote on the front
"A landmark episode. Wildly ambitious, sensationally entertaining, and unexpectedly moving"- Matt Roush-TV Guide
Sometimes being a High Priest has it's benefits :) Didn't get the issue, just the disc
I'm sure all the Emmy voters will be bowing down before Lord Whedon when they finish this disc. Whether or not they are bowing too deeply to reach their nomination forms is still up in the air
I'd love that cover if you finish it. The slip is not exactly durable

Jeff F.

Second Unit
Ah, the benefits of being a Variety subscriber. I just received my copy today and look forward to watching it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks