-

Photo

Koyaanisqatsi / Powaaqatsi 2 pack now available for pre-order!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 04:46 PM

This just in from Amazon:

You've previously signed up to be notified when "Koyaanisqatsi/ Powaqqatsi - 2 Pack" (DVD) became available, and we're happy to inform you that it is now available to pre-order!

If you would like to pre-order this item now, just follow the link below:

http://www.amazon.co....116049-0370330

Once you've placed your order, we will ship this item to you as soon
as it is released (your credit card will not be charged until this
item is ready for shipping).

I know that MGM announced Koy today, but I didn't see anything about Pow. Not sure if you can order them seperately either.

-paul

edit to change the link in case it was directed somehow to my account and to add:

I would expect these to be pretty much movie only releases but remixed in 5.1. Perhaps the trailers. I can't imagine extras such as director's commentary and behind the scenes stuff here. A short documentary on the making would be interesting but I doubt anything like that exists.

BTW - This is supposed to be released to coincide with the release of the final film in the triology...

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   West

West

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 08:29 PM

Holy screamin' crap!! At LONG last, two outstanding pictures make their way to DVD! (I've had Koyaanisqatsi on laserdisc for so long, it's like a member of the family.) According to recently posted news on DVDFile.com, both discs will have spiffnificent new anamorphic transfers (1.85), 5.1 sound, new documentaries (!!!) and trailers. (Wouldn't it be supercool if they included a trailer for the forthcoming third film in the trilogy, Naqoyqatsi? Keep yer fingers crossed!) Each will be available separately for twenty bucks, but ya gotta have 'em both! I was lucky enough to see Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi with LIVE musical accompaniment from the Philip Glass Ensemble at UCLA, and the only thing that would be better than that would be the ability to watch them whenever I want!! Hot diggity, this is great news!!

Now where's The Thin Blue Line...?

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Tom Oh

Tom Oh

Second Unit

• 255 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 10:03 PM

Wow! 2 pack pre-order on Amazon for only $22.49! A must buy for me. I too had a wonderful opportunity to see Koyaanisqatsi with live musical accompaniment by Philip Glass in Ann Arbor, MI. I have also watched it on big screen in Brazil. It is a sensory experience with beautiful images and hypnotic score. I can't wait til Sept. 12th. I'm excited but my wife will most likely fall asleep watching as usual.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 12:37 AM

Sign me up for this pack - two spectacular films really deserving a large-screen and LOUD sound!
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 03:56 AM

I'm thrilled. I've been waiting for these since seeing the Baraka clip on Short CJ 1:1. I need to upgrade my Baraka to the new edition as well, perhaps all three will have to be picked up when K/P come out.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted May 29 2002 - 06:52 AM

With KOYAANISQATSI, POWAQQATSI and the entire first season of THE OUTER LIMITS all being announced on the same day, MGM is my new favorite DVD provider. Thanks!

--Bill

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 07:31 AM

Can't wait. I didn't get the limited release of Koy... bcs it wasn't 16x9 WS. Now this is DEFINITELY a film to view 16x9 WS OAR.

Will be wonderful to have it to sit along side Baraka Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   John Geelan

John Geelan

Screenwriter

• 1,092 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

Just pre-ordered the disc from Amazon and got to use my coupon I've been saving for weeks.

Got the set for $5.47!

JohnG

Posted Image
JohnG

(Proud Home Theater Forum Donor)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3Onix Rockets RS550MKIIsSVS 25-31CS subwoofer

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 01:02 AM

This seems interesting.

BTW, could someone write (in phonetical-like spelling) how these titles are pronounced?

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   NickT

NickT

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 03:20 AM

Koy an eh skat si or something along those lines. The only word ever said in the entire movie is Koyaanisqatsi during the 1st and last songs.

Pow ah skat si I think that's how, but I've never seen more than an excerpt from Powaaqatsi, so I could be wrong.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   West

West

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 03:28 AM

Koyaanisqatsi: Coy (like the word "coy"; accent on this syllable) / ann (like the name) / iss (as in "miss") / kotsee (rhymes with "Potsie" from "Happy Days"; accent on "kot")

Powaqqatsi: Pow (like the Batman sound effect; accent on this syllable) / uh / kotsee (see above)

I've occasionally heard the first syllable in "Powaqqatsi" pronounced "poe", as in Edgar Allen; both may be acceptable, but I prefer "pow".

I'm no English teacher, but I hope this helps!

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Kurt N

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 03:31 AM

Mine! One's mine--all mine and you can't stop me.

I had the honor of seeing Mr. Glass in concert in the 80's and that concert still stands out in my memory for 2 reasons:

1-the most diverse crowd I've EVER seen at any event...men in their 60's dressed formally sitting beside blue-haired teens in jeans held together by safety pins.

2-I really thought it was an intermission when the concert was over--the hypnotic quality of the music made nearly 3 hours seem like--maybe--1 hour. Perhaps the most amazing concert I've ever seen. I'd pay big bucks to see him again.
War doesn't determine who is right. War determines who is left.

my DVDs

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 04:11 AM

These should really include the original soundtracks in PCM, or at least 384k DD 2.0.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 04:18 AM

or give us the 5.1 in 448 kbps. Does MGM do that ever?

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:07 AM

David,

How about 'and', not 'or'. Increasing the bits of a 5.1 track is never a substitute for including the original soundtrack.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:12 AM

Well agreed but depending.

If a mix was intended for mono, then I want it in addition to a 5.1 remix. If a mix was intended for 2-channel stereo, then that would be nice to have too.

Where I start to not feel an alegiance to the original mix is when it was 2.0 but intended for Pro Logic playback. In that case, if the master stems exist, and the engineer wants to give me a discrete 5.1 mix, then this is a better approximation to what the original artist intended as the 2.0 "surround" mix was a necessary compromise of the limits of surround encoding/decoding technology at the time.

If these films had true 2.0 stereo mixes not intended for ProLogic surround decoding, then I'd love to have a 24/48 PCM soundtrack (or at least 20/48) like we do with many music video DVDs.

-dave

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:20 AM

David,

I am virtually certain that these films had non-surround Dolby Stereo soundtracks.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,610 posts

Posted June 01 2002 - 08:59 PM

You could be purist in complaining that a 5.1 mix is not the artists intent, thus be disappointed in the disc. But, since the director is involved in it's production (at least he was for the limited and even autographed the discs), and especially since Phillip Glass has been performing the movie live for a number of years, who's to say this isn't what they would have preferred had the technology/money been available at the time? Glass even re-recorded the soundtrack and released is as a 5.1 DVD Audio disc... A little on the revisionist side. Sorta like Lucas.

Just to note: the limited has a 5.1 mix, and I would like to see a 2.0 stereo mix as well.

-paul

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 12:14 AM

What astonished me was that the "limited" release by the director was 4x3 P/S. Odd.

-dave

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted June 03 2002 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
What astonished me was that the "limited" release by the director was 4x3 P/S. Odd.

My understanding is that the limited release was done in order to raise money and awareness that the title(s) were indeed wanted on DVD by the public, and utilized the previous masters of the Pacific Arts tape versions which were in 4X3 AR asthaey were all that were available at the time.

This show of demand would get a distributor interested, and the money earned could be used to offset the expense of creating a new high definition 16X9 transfer.