Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Diva 6.1's or Paradigm Monitor 11's??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 06:14 AM

Hi all,

My current setup utilizes the Paradigm Monitor 11's and I figure that I'm just about ready for an upgrade. I was wondering if the Diva 6.1's would be a significant upgrade over my Paradigms. And, I am looking for a speaker that is smoother in the high frequencies. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Winston_T

Winston_T

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 07:21 AM

FYI: There is an offical diva thread at avsforum.com/avs-vb under the audio section.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 07:31 AM

Check out B&W for an upgrade. Im a big fan of the B&W tweeters...very smooth and airy. I dont think the diva's would be much of an upgrade, more of a parallel move.
The ass is a muscle that MUST BE RESTED

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 07:32 AM

Check out B&W for an upgrade. Im a big fan of the B&W tweeters...very smooth and airy. I dont think the diva's would be much of an upgrade, more of a parallel move.
The ass is a muscle that MUST BE RESTED

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 08:14 AM

Have you heard the Divas Jeff?

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 10:54 AM

Sean,

Can you elabaorate on your last post for me please. I'm guessing that you think the Diva's would be a significant upgrade over the Paradigm's.

BTW, have you heard the Monitor 11's??

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 11:02 AM

Jeff,

I'm not real familiar with the B&W lines, what would you recommend for the price??

600 series or CDM-NT series. What are the prices of the floorstanders in those series'?

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 11:33 AM

Hi Nick,
I have not heard the Monitor 11's. I was curious as to whether Jeff has heard them because most of the time I see the Diva line being compared to the Studio series and the Studio series is a step up from the Monitor line. Here is an example click .
I will also mention that the highs on the 6.1's are very smooth and not fatiguing at all.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   PomingF

PomingF

Second Unit

• 343 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 01:21 PM

Nick, Steve Zimmerman did a detailed review on this forum b/w the 6.1 & the Ref 100 a while back. Try to do a search. Someone also just posted his impression on one of the forums (S&V or AVS?) b/w the 600 S3 & the 6.1's.

PF

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted May 28 2002 - 07:55 PM

ILl just say that i was a bit disapointed in the Divas.

Beautiful sound, but i need more bass,and the 11's do have more.
"Charlie don't surf."

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   ClaudeL

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 04:40 AM

Or also you can wait for the new Paradigm Monitor line which will come in a few weeks. I dont know in USA if you will receive them shortly but here in Canada, its in few weeks. The new Monitor line supposely sounds as good as the present Paradigm Studio line at less the cost. Maybe, these new Monitors could be your future upgrade if the Studios are a step up from the Divas...

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 07:18 AM

Claude,

I am also in Canada and was wondering if you know where I could find more information on the new Paradigm Monitor line. I had heard a few things about it but was unaware that it was coming in the near future (a few weeks). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Russell _T

Russell _T

Supporting Actor

• 579 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 07:52 AM

I have heard both the Studio line and the Divas. I own the Divas, and consider them a better value for the price than the Studios. They have a smoother sound, larger soundstage, and better imaging. They don't look too bad either.
BTW, the 6.1's have all the low end slam you could hope to get out of 2 eight inch woofers. The bass is tight, fast and loud.
Russ Tarvin
If it's too loud, you're too old.

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 03:46 PM

Well, just for fun I decided to go to a local Paradigm dealer today. I listened to the Monitor 11's and the Studio 100's. I only listened to two songs on each speaker. I will say that in the showroom the Studio 100's spanked the Monitor 11's. Don't get me wrong,(there was roughly a $1000.00 Cdn differecne in price)the Monitor 11's are nice speakers but the Studio's have much better imaging and a way larger soundstage , as well as better bass. As far as the Diva 6.1's go I would definately say that they are more in the league of the Studio 100's. I will also say that the bass on the 6.1's is much better than the Monitor 11's from what I heard. In all fairness the listening session was very short and the rooms are different but I listened enough to get a basic idea on the characteristics of the speakers.

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 03:54 PM

thanks Sean,

Maybe the Diva's will be my next upgrade after all.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 04:03 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed Nick. The Divas are sweet and they look even better in person as well.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   ClaudeL

ClaudeL

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 04:59 PM

Nick,

I dont have so much informations about the new Monitor line which will come soon. But my dealer told me that they will certainly have the present "Paradigm Studios" sound. So I guess that the new Monitor line will have HUGE VALUE if they sound almost the same as the Studio line. Before buying any Divas, im gonna listen to the new Monitor line. I have presently the Monitor 9 v.2 and im gonna tell you if you want, if I found any new improvments with the new Monitor 9 v.3. Im gonna listen to them in two weeks.

OH!!! Also, very soon, im gonna go to my Paradigm dealer. Maybe tomarrow or in two days. They dont have yet the new Monitor line but they have the spec sheets. So I will see the new Monitor v.3 look and why not... I could take a photo of these Monitor v.3 with my camera and post it here Posted Image

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Tony Baker

Tony Baker

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
Well, just for fun I decided to go to a local Paradigm dealer today. I listened to the Monitor 11's and the Studio 100's. I only listened to two songs on each speaker. I will say that in the showroom the Studio 100's spanked the Monitor 11's. Don't get me wrong,(there was roughly a $1000.00 Cdn differecne in price)the Monitor 11's are nice speakers but the Studio's have much better imaging and a way larger soundstage , as well as better bass"

Just curious if you listened to the speakers in the same room with the same equipment. At the paradigm dealer here the studio line is being fed by Anthem separates and the monitor line by H/K receivers. The dealer let me listen to both on the same equipment and gap in sound quality closed significantly. BTW, the dealer said they are not suppose to have the monitor and studio lines in the same room.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Sean D

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 04:56 AM

Hi Tony,
They were in different rooms. It looked like they were both being powered by Denon receivers (but I did not check to see if there was an external amp running with the Studio's)....not sure which model but I will head back this weekend to find out.It was just more of a quick in and out at the store rather than an in depth audition.

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Nick V

Nick V

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 30 2002 - 05:54 AM

Sounds good Claude, keep me posted.

I'm gonna try to stop in to my Paradigm dealer within the next few days to see what's going on with the new lineup. At the store where I bought my Monitor 11's and CC-370 they have a 1 year trade-up where they give you back what you paid for the products, if you're gonna upgrade. I might just have to upgrade to the v.3's if there's that much of a difference.

BTW, it's tough to just buy the Diva's without ever auditioning them. I suppose I would just have to trust all of the spectacular reviews that I've been reading, but I'm still a bit skeptical.