What's new

Poll: what do you HATE most about DVD? (1 Viewer)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
For me, it's the dynamic range of the audio. I know it's closer to the "theater experience", but my girlfriend and I both HATE the way the volume will fluctuate from way too quiet to WAY too loud. I was watching Jason and the Argonauts the other day, and I kid you not... I don't think there was a period of longer than one minute where I didn't have my finger on the volume control. Sometimes I had to pump it up to 30 to hear the dialogue, and other times I had to turn it down to 12 to protect my eardrums.

(As a side question, if anyone knows a way to control the volume range better (like some kind of compression or gating device, maybe?) please let me know.)

I also hate double-dipping, but I'd rather buy a disc twice than never get an SE at all.

DanaA

Screenwriter
If I'm being honest, I hate the way the things are wrapped. I know it's necessary, but I sure wish they'd find a better way so that I could open the things in an easier way.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
REALLY loud menu music or studio tags. I've taken to hitting mute before I put a disc in.

I also hate discs that are programmed to start playing if they sit on the menu too long.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Hate is harsh, but I really dislike the pause during layer change.......but it is a tossup between that and too much info (trailers/warnings) at the beginnings of discs.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
While some titles are certainly better than others; I still cringe everytime I spot a layer-change. Without question, my biggest complaint with the DVD format.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
How about the fact that it only gives us 480 lines of resolution, and is not in a 1080i or 1080p format!!!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I hate how some of you are complaining about the layer change. I will admit, there are a few awful layer changes out there, but would you rather get up and flip the DVD like a laserdisc?
Extras. They are the main reason we dont get both OAR and P&S on every disk.
Or sometimes, it's that there is not enough space on a DVD to put both OAR and P&S on every disc without using a DVD-14 or DVD-18 (if only more studios would follow MGM and have widescreen plus extras on the DVD-9 side and the pan & scan sans extras on the DVD-5 side of a DVD-14 disc).
Along with Steve, I hate paying for discs :) and I hate DVDs that won't let you skip past a long menu introduction.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A severe lack in pre-1940 catalog titles.
It's not really the studio's fault...
It's OUR fault. People complain about the lack of these classic titles...yet when polls come out...they vote for obvious titles like the Indy movies and Star Wars.
I'm sure Fox is less aware of demand for Star Wars than their John Ford silents. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hate the slight pause on layer change, and also the movie happily continuing on after being left on menu for just one freakin' minute (WB take a bow).
I'm pissed off with copyright notices that you can't skip past, I also hate flimsy dvd cases that you just know will fall apart or tear apart within a year.:angry:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Those stickers they put on the cases. It's almost as bad as on CDs. At least I've never had one stick to a DVD.

Luckily, the Import CDs I have bought have none of this.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Cover art like you see on DVDs like Murder By Death, Real Genius and Better Off Dead.
OK, it's a small complaint. There's not much I hate about DVD.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Inelegant cover design. All blurbs and award announcements belong on the back. The opinion of the Mortville Gazette's Phil Lowstein that such-and-such is "One of the Year's Best!!!!" isn't going to sell any extra copies.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
My biggest pet peeves are menu screens and chapter lists that give away key plot points. I don't much care for them showing one of the film's best scenes during the menu, either(The Matrix, anybody?). In fact, clips during menus just suck, period.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
1.Security Stickers
2.Interactive Menus - I loathe these, I prefer if you put the disc in and it defaulted to the movie-to access the menu you should have to press the buton.
3.Useless extras - Do I really need 4 commentaries on my discs, still galleries, the script and such.Id prefer if the space was used for the transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks