Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Would love to use these in my Home Theater!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 01:21 AM

I've just been given a pair of '80s ADS L1590/2 towers. They sound awsome behind my Yamaha M65 Power amp at 170 watts RMS/channel. I'd like to use them as the mains in my Home Theater which is powered by an Onkyo TS DS595 which puts out a clean 75 watts RMS/channel. These speakers have dual 10" woofers and are probably pretty hungry, though. Are they too much speaker for my Onkyo? Thanks for any help.
Ray K
Orlando, Florida

#2 of 3 Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 03:28 AM

Are you driving the Yamaha to its limits when listening to them? 170W will only give you about 4 or 5dB more than 75W.

Try it and see. Unless the ADSs are very low impedance, you won't damage the amp. As usual, don't drive the amp so hard you hear distortion, or you'll risk damaging the speakers.

#3 of 3 Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 03:41 AM

Mark, Thanks for your thoughts. Actually, about the loudest I ever listen with the Yamaha/ADS combo is at about 80 or 90 watts peak on the deepest bass material (as shown on the M65s power meter). The nominal impedence of the ADS speakers is 8 ohms and they carry a max power of 300 watts. Guess I'll try them with the Onkyo and see how they do.
Ray K
Orlando, Florida