What's new

Looking for speaker companies with best bang for buck values (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
So far on my list I have:

Diva
Axiom
Wharfedale
Norh

I'm looking for speaker companies that produce speakers that sound much greater than their price. I wouldn't mind some DIY speakers, but I would have to have someone build it for me since I could not. Please let me know of any gems that I do not know about.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
For about $1600, the VMPS 626R's are the best bookshelf speaker I have ever heard (beat out my nOrh 9.0's pretty easily).

I have a RM-40 on order. . .

Brian Burnaby

Auditioning
I made a similar list and came up with:

PsB
Paradigm
Energy
Mirage
B&W
NHT
Atlantic Technology
Definitive Technology
Axiom

I ended up with a pair of PsB's

Luke M

Grip
One word: used. You can buy high quality good-as-new speakers on the used market for 40% or less of original retail.

Of course, assembling a matched set of HT speakers is more difficult this way (especially if you insist on a center - I don't use one myself). But the price/performance can't be beat.

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the nOrh 4.0 video package last year and couples it with my SVS 20-39cs. Wonderful! Had an Adcom amp sitting idle so complete speaker setup was less $1500.00. Highly recommend nOrh.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Allen,
ACI and Adire make some very nice kits for DIY. The ACI stuff will only last for a short time, and then they'll be out of the DIY business.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Allen:

What are you looking for in a speaker? HT or Music use? Laid-back or forward sounding? etc,etc

Ron

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for an all around great speaker for music and HT, but I don't want to pay out the nose for it. Basically I'm looking for something in the vein of the Diva speakers. They are considered to be great speakers for a very reasonable price. I want something that is compared to a speaker that costs 2-3 times it's price.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Allen,
My 2 cents... try auditioning Triangle (Titus 202 mini-monitors @$495/pair). Sam Tellig of Stereophile raves about their line.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
The Diva's sound isn't as forward sounding as let's say Axiom speakers. People will use terms like laid back to describe the Diva's, where the would use a term like revealing or bright to describe the Axiom speakers. So it depends on your preferences. I would suggest going to local audio shops and listening to lots of speakers. You might find a specific brand you prefer and then go the used route or try internet based retailer whose speakers sound similar to the brand you prefer.

Good Luck
Ron

John Desmond

Stunt Coordinator
ACI is the leader in speakers sold factory-direct. They've been doing it for 25 years, longer than most of the rest put together! Superb sonics and build quality.
www.audioc.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks