What's new

Need some help (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
Before I start, I just wanted to let you guys know I appreciate this site to help neophites like myself. First I would like to admit that I have been sucked in by the Bose mystique. The more research I do the more I realize I am missing the boat. I would love some input on what possible steps I can take to fix this situation without having to break the bank.
My current set up is as follows:
32" Sony Wega KV-32FV27
Sony STR-DE 545 receiver
Panasonic DVD-CV52 5 disk, MP3 capabilities
Sony SA-WM40 sub
and last but not least Bose center channel and surround speakers.
I love watching movies on a home theater but feel I need to make audio adjustments. I NEED some help!
Thanks for listening to me babble.
Any tips are GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]
Jason

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, welcome to the forum!

It seems to me that you have two different issues:

1. You've read posts here and elsewhere, and have "realized" that Bose speakers may not be the best for their price. You would like to know how to upgrade from them to something better (while still on a budget).

2. You like how movies sound on your system, but feel that something is "off", and that by changing some settings you could make it sound much better.

Let's start with number 2. Have you calibrated your system properly? In order to do this, you will need a Sound Level meter and a test tone. You can get a meter at Radio Shack. For test tones, you can use the receiver's internal ones, or even better, get a calibration disc such as Avia or Video Essentials. What you want is an even response across all channels. Once you achieve this, everything will sound much better. Also, have you experimented with speaker placement? A couple of inches closer or farther from the wall make a big difference in how the speakers sound.

As for point number one, don't feel bad. Bose speakers aren't necessarily bad, they just tend to be a little overpriced for their performance. Let us know which speakers you own. If after calibrating you still feel the need to upgrade (or if you're already calibrated), give us a budget and we'll give you some recommendations.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Jorge,
I have not calibrated my speakers and I will go to Radio shack and get the proper equipment. I think part of the problem could be my viewing room. It is a long narrow room with vaulted ceilings. It doesn't sound "bad" but I do feel there is something missing. The dialog seems to get drowned out by the surround action. My main speakers (as well as my surround speakers) are the acoustimass 7 series.

My goal is to be able to watch movies at home and make the most realistic experience I can. I believe this has officially become an obsession!

Jason

Jason,

I think the first step should be as Jorge suggests and balance your speakers, the surrounds might be se too high or your center set too low. I initially adjusted mine "by ear" and was surprised how far off I was once I got the VE disc and the sound meter. I got the VE disk at Frys for $39.95, I think...

I have the the same receiver as you do, Bose VCS10 center, JBL S38 for mains, JBL PB10 sub, and the Bose AM5 system on the rear for surround and I'm quite pleased with how this sounds. The VCS10 is a bit brighter than my front mains but it isn't too distracting.

Good luck,

Justin B.

Jason Co

Second Unit
Justin,
I bought a sound level meter and calibrated my speakers last night and everything sounds much better. I also tilted my center channel down a little bit by raising the back end and the dialog seems to be better. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks