What's new

*** Official Thread - Robert Harris - Home Theater: Part One & Two - An Archaeology (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Hi Everyone!
We're pleased to present you with Robert Harris' first special feature for The Digital Bits:
Home Theater: Part One - An Archaeology
With every new column Robert writes at The Bits, we'll create an official thread here at The Home Theater Forum so you can discuss the subject with Robert and other home theater enthusiasts. So click on over to the link above, give the text a read, and come on back here to discuss it to your heart's content.
And please join us in welcoming Robert to The Digital Bits!

Reactions: PMF

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Excellent - concise, informative and not without humour. ;)
I can genuinely say I'm looking forward to Part Two.
And Three.
And Four...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Great article Bob. I must say that while I knew most of that, I was ignorant about how far back home theater went. :)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Great article!

It brought back memories of watching 16mm Chaplin shorts at home growing up. My mother was a school teacher and borrowed a 16mm projector from time to time. And, the local library had a decent collection of 16mm films.

How far we've come.

-greg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
What a wonderful and informative beginning to what will surely be a must-read for any home theater fan.
Can't wait for the next episode...same bat time, same bat channel! :)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Excellent article. It bought back fond memories of watching 15 minute Super 8 digest prints of SUPERMAN, STAR WARS and old Universal horrors like THE WOLFMAN and THE MUMMY.

Isn't it great that we can now own really nice copies of these films on DVD for less money than a 15 minute excerpt used to cost?

Scott_Morris

Mostly Observing
Real Name
Scott Morris
Robert, thanks for a great article! While I'm at it, thanks also for all your hard work over the years in restoring so many wonderful films!

A quick question for you -- is there any chance we'll ever see your incredible restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon on DVD? Seeing it when it toured the country in the early 80's was one of the most amazing film-going experiences of my life. Thank you!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. While the further articles will more likely than not rehash what most of us already know, he wonderful writing style has sucked me in as it were.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Ah, the glory days of 16mm! We can thank World War II for making 16mm equipment available to the masses. All those spring wound Eyemos just waiting for the American Avant-Garde filmmakers to pick them up and start shooting. All those 16mm prints run off by the studios for the troops. All those war surplus 16mm projectors waiting for audiences. We were still using Eyemos & US Government standard 16mm JAN projectors in the 1970's at the NYU Graduate Film School...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I recall fondly watching a 16mm print of the original Dracula in my High School auditorium as a fund-raiser for the Student Govt. Since I was a member of that organization, I was amazed when I got to look at the catalog of other movie titles that could be ordered for fund-raising events!
I thought to myself, "I'd love to own every one of these!".
Now, 1200 DVD's later, my dream is coming true! :D
Bob: GREAT article, and I look forward to future chapters. Well done, and very informative. I will make it "required reading" for some interested friends of mine.
Can't wait to read "DIVX is dead". :laugh:

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Concise read...perfect for my limited attention span. Thanks to Digital Bits, and Mr. Harris.

John M. Ford

Agent
OMG. I had forgotten about the first reel to reel video recoders. I was stationed in Wiesbaden Germany with the Air Force when these recorders showed up the the US audio video club. The excitement was outrageous. Thank you Mr. Harris for bringing back some great memories.
johnf
:D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To Scott Morris:

Although I was involved in the physical presentation (five projectors, screens, orchestra members packed tightly in crates, etc.) the total - - meaning complete - - credit
for the reconstruction and restoration of Napoleon goes to Kevin Brownlow.

Who continues to come to the states from England to save our silent film heritage, interview survivors of that incredible period, create the absolute finest documentaries on the subject...

and then quietly go back to England.

The American studios should finance more of his work.

RAH

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Wow, what a great article! I'm looking forward to many more articles from Mr. Harris. I can only hope that this additional exposure on The Bits will add to the legendary status that the film preservation/restoration community, cinemaphiles and members of HTF have known for a long time. Thank you to both Bill and to Bob for bringing this series to us.
I had nearly forgotten the 8mm film collection that my family had enjoyed for many years. After the very expensive bulb in our projector burnt out many years ago we put the celluloid to rest and took up Selectavision followed by VHS in the early to mid '80s. What a great trip back through time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks