-

Photo

Review: The Hustler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted May 22 2002 - 09:25 AM

While aimlessly wandering the aisles of a large, national, retail department store today, my eyes scoured through a rack of DVDs for $14.44. Just as if seen through the cross hairs of a riflescope there stood The Hustler. I pulled the trigger at the checkout counter and came home to see how Fox had done with this great movie.

Since it is the only anamorphic DVD I own of a black and white CINESCOPE film, I have nothing to compare it to but I have seen it many times and this disc looks outstanding.
The framing of this film is another example of why P&S just does not fly. Throughout the pool hall scenes there is much activity going on in the background that cropping it would destroy the atmosphere of the shot. The shadowing and subtleties of the art of black and white films are reproduced very nicely.

There is a non-screen specific commentary from Newman, director Robert Rossen's daughter and film critic Richard Schinckel. The documentary The Hustler: The Inside Story is a cool feature touching on everything from the origin of pool to the casting of the actors. Interestingly, Sinatra was first considered for the Paul Newman role.

Also there's a segment re-creating the trick shots used in the film along with an option that displays a pop-up window during the film with a trick shot expert describing how the pool shots were made.

There is the original theatrical trailer in both English and Spanish as well as trailers for Butch Cassidy, Hombre and The Verdict. The film is 2.35:1 anamorphic black and white and has three audio options: English stereo, English mono and French mono with English and Spanish subtitles.

It's a very nice disc with a clean, anamorphic transfer for under $15.00.
Nice job Fox thanks.

-Gary

TV:Toshiba 40H80
DVDPosted Imageanasonic RP-91
Receiver:Yamaha 995

#2 of 12 Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted May 22 2002 - 09:50 AM

I didn't realize this was released. I thought the release date was 6/4.

#3 of 12 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted May 22 2002 - 09:55 AM

Oh man! Thanks for the heads up! I had heard Ebert's review of it last weekend but completely forgot it was being released (I tend to forget everything Ebert says once the show's credits roll). It's always been a must-have, but Paul Newman's commentary should make it very special indeed!
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#4 of 12 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted May 22 2002 - 10:33 AM

Is Jeanette Lee in the film? Posted Image

#5 of 12 BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted May 22 2002 - 11:38 AM

I preordered the Hustler along with Hombre and the Verdict and am looking forward to getting them early next month. Anyone have the other two titles and can comment on the DVDs?

#6 of 12 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,513 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 22 2002 - 11:53 AM

All of these titles release date is 6/4/02. Last September, at the HTF's National Meet in LA, several of us had the pleasure of seeing cleanup work being done to "Hombre" in preparation for it's 2002 dvd release.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#7 of 12 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted May 22 2002 - 09:16 PM

Quote:
While aimlessly wandering the aisles of a large, national, retail department store today, my eyes scoured through a rack of DVDs for $14.44. Just as if seen through the cross hairs of a riflescope there stood The Hustler.

How is this possible when it's not being released until 6/4??

#8 of 12 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 02:42 AM

Thanks again. I had forgotten about this one, so I just ordered this and look forward to watching it on june 4.

Oscar Merkx

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#9 of 12 Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted May 27 2002 - 04:20 AM

A retailer breaking street date!:b
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#10 of 12 Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted May 27 2002 - 10:09 AM

I wish they would release Nobody's Fool.

#11 of 12 Gavin_L

Gavin_L

Second Unit

• 267 posts

Posted May 28 2002 - 01:25 PM

Quote:
How is this possible when it's not being released until 6/4??

sounds like someone made a boo boo.

for some reason i had feeling today was gonna be a special day and it was.

Gary thanks for the review it sounds great.

#12 of 12 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 10:44 PM

hello

Just received my copy this morning. I only watched the documentary about the making of The Hustler, superlative and an interesting inside in the business of Pool. A lot of footage was shown with Willie Mascone teaching Paul Newman how to play pool as Paul did not know anything about pool

I will be back with more later on

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

Forum Nav Content I Follow