What's new

How To Mount Di-poles On Rear Wall??? (1 Viewer)

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I have just got some Di-pole rear speakers which I need to mount on my rear wall, I have been told that it is best to mount di-poles on rear walls in an 'out of phase' mode.

What I need to know is how do I mount them 'out of phase'? I know from the diagram on the rear of the speakers that one side of each speaker is negative and one positive, to mount them out of phase do I place them so that the negative sides of each speaker are facing each other, or that both positives are facing each other, or that the negative side of one speaker is facing the positive side of the other?

Any help would be very useful.
Thanks

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of speakers are they? What does the manual say? I'm surpised that there is no marking on the speaker to tell you how to mount them.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
They are B&W DS6's, I got them from my local store on offer due to their being no original box or instructions, I know that di-poles are intentially designed for side wall mounting but I posted here before and the replies I got convinced me they would be o.k for my rear wall.
Thanks

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know who told you to mount them out of phase. If they came as a pair, then you cannot mount them out of phase with each other. I would mount them with the negatives facing each other so that the in phase (positive) will be pointing towards the side walls.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
HERE is a good description of bipolar/dipolar setups.
I'm not exactly clear what they are trying to tell you, either. Each side of the dipoles are out of phase with the other. So, I would think you would want to mount them with the "positive" sides facing each other... or you could just wire one backwards and achieve the same effect.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
Thanks for the reply and also thanks for the link. I unfortunately cant try anything at the moment as I am awaiting delivery of my new receiver.

I know Di-poles are meant for side walls and bi-poles for rear walls, but they also say that if you are going to use a EX system with seven speakers that all the surrounds should be kept the same, i.e use di-poles on the side and the rears, or use bi-poles on the sides and the rears, which is just contradicting themselves. My local h-fi store have the same speakers as me set-up in their demonstration room on the rear wall and they say that just as good effects can be had from the rear wall as the side walls.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Roger Kint,
Thanks for the reply, someone in another forum on this site where I posted the same query suggested that I should mount them with the positives facing each other, which is the opposite to what you suggested. I unfortunately cannot test them at the moment as I am awaiting a new receiver.

Juan M,
Thanks also for your reply and the link. The instructions basically say that the speakers should be used on a side wall which I knew anyway, they unfortunately do not say about using them in or out of phase.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
When I had dipoles I placed them directly to the side, in line with the listening position and mounted about 8 feet high. I tried them in the back, but I felt there was too much of a gap in the sides with this arrangement. The general guideline with dipoles is to place them as I did, so that the listener is sitting in the "null" area, thus experiencing the greatest surround effect.

I'm not sure what brand of speakers you have but it sounds like they are switchable between dipole and bipole modes. This is what they probably meant by "out of phase mode" because dipoles are firing out of phase and bipoles in phase.

I read an article that tested monopoles with dipoles in an EX system and the consensus of the audience was that dipoles on the sides and monopoles in the rears were best. Take that with a grain of salt - set it up so it sounds good to you.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
My Polk dipoles were labeled on the back as to which should be right and left.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
The idea of using them out of phase came from a previous suggestion when I posted on here a few weeks back. The situation is that I have had to move my home cinema system into a smaller room and I am also upgrading to ex, however due to the new room wall mounting is the only possibility for rear speakers, so I have got the di-poles for the rears and my existing mono's will be firing across the listening position, so basically the other way around to what you read.

The Speakers are B&W DS6's and I do not believe are switchable, I unfortunately cant test anything out until my new receiver arrives.

Thanks for your reply.

James_N_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
The DS6's dont say which is for left or right on them. Also Di-poles work by a push-pull system, which of the drivers pushes and which pulls? The positive side or the negative?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks