What's new

X-Files Series Finale - 5/19/02 (1 Viewer)

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Well it has been a hell of a run! The past nine years (!) have all been great, yes I even enjoyed seasons 6 and 7. In my opinion it is one of the greatest shows ever.

Thanks Chris Carter and company!

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Hercs review is up at AICN...and hes less than thrilled.

I quit watching years ago but I'll give 'The Truth' a shot tonight, but my expectations are pretty low. It seems like every year Carter claims that hes going to wrap up a lot of the past storylines, but I have yet to see this happen (at least in any reasonable fashion). Anyway, like I said...I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling I'll be switching over to Survivor (which TiVo will already be getting for me) sooner rather than later.

JQ

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I agree. It was one of the best shows ever on television. I hear they are going to make another movie, that would be great, I absolutely loved Fight the Future.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
This series started off with a bang. It stayed 2 years too long in my opinon. They ran out of ideas and got away from the original premise. The film was awful. The next one is supposed to arrive in 2004. The finale has not gotten any real good buzz but I'll watch anyway.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I watched the first thirty minutes, had it on mute, then watched the last thirty.
Scarily, I don't think I missed anything. And absolutely nothing seemed to get resolved. I'm glad I was busy doing something else while it was on, or I would have felt extremely ripped off.
I stopped watching in Season Six, for place of reference ;)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Just caught this installment three hours earlier on the Canadian affiliate. Being a fan since the middle of the second season, I have to say I was pleased with the way things ended.

Without any spoilers, let me just say the characters who return for cameos each have their own moments, and they're electric.

The production quality of this finale is absolutely top notch, and could be considered a movie in its own right. The acting is wonderfully done, with Duchovny bringing his own kind of humour to the scenes where he reunites with Skinner and Scully in the first quarter of the episode.

Mark Snow creates an absolutely beautiful score for this one. While he may been doing quite a bit of experimenting with new sounds this season, he really weaves some beautiful themes into his work.

True, the ending is a bit of a downer, and I believe that there'll be more unhappy fans then contents ones, but I believe Carter actually stayed true to the series. Overall, I'd give it a strong B+.

Note: The trial portion of the episode is very reminiscent of the final episodes of Seinfeld and Star Trek : The Next Generation.

Enjoy!

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched it...

The last show basically ties everything together (although, there isn't a lot of new info given)... it leaves the possibility of a movie open. After the show was over, I thought to myself "is that it?" A very sad final episode in my opinion... nothing really earth shattlering is found out.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This finale just doesn't jive with the idea of the next movie being a stand alone outside of the conspiracy.

But, to be fair, Chris Carter made that comment before it was decided this would be the last year. So it looks like the movie will have something to do with the conspiracy.

Overall, the show did explain itself, but if you've already put it together there were no surprises. Not the home run everyone was expecting, but it didn't betray the essence of the show which is as many questions raised as answered, so I liked it.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mike Graham wrote:
Star Trek : The Next Generation said:
Snow's score sounds just "okay" now. It's lost its beautiful "weird" edge---revisit "Synchrony", if you have any doubts, and the earlier mechanical ambient things he did---, and is just ordinary string music. Not bad, but or-di-na-ry.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Heh, its ironic that you would note that, because after I revisited "Synchrony" on DVD this past winter I found it one of my least favorite episode scores. :)
The best scores that Snow did for the show would be "Paper Hearts", "Redux II" and "Requiem", in my opinion.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
CSM, Krycek, Mr. X, Spender, Marita Covarrubias, the Lone Gunmen, it was like a who's who of the series.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Not a flashback...But along with Krycek and Mr. X, the Lone Gunmen were Ghosts appearring to Mulder

I'm really not sure how I feel about the whole show yet. I think I have to give it a day or two to sink in.

-Ric

Jay W

Supporting Actor
However horrid some of the writing got over the last few years I'm still sad to see it go. Not a great finale by any means, all we are left with is the chemistry between Scully & Mulder and the possibility of a movie (or few?). Still one of my favorite shows and for a while one of the best shows on TV. Look forward to watching the DVDs in the years to come :).
To make this episode fall in line with the rest of this season...

* why the heck didn't the black helicopters just blow away mulder/scully and/or doggett/reyes?
* getting out of that military base was just way too easy - cut the fence? hmmm.
* that scene with the supersoldier getting too close to the ferite was ridiculous...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
First off, let me say this: it was impossible to make this episode good. Given how absurd the arc got, they would either have had to spend the whole time just rattling off sweeping descriptions of everything that happened in the past (which they did) or focus on a decent episode with action and intrigue that would leave more stuff open. With the first approach, it is boring, with the second, no questions get answered. So, I respect them just picking one and going with it.

However: GHOSTS? WTF? The big final question that Mulder had was about talking to the dead? What did that have to do with anything? It was just a paltry excuse to bring back some guest stars and try to top off the whole thing with some pseudo-spiritual nonsense. Very stupid, IMO.

And the whole trial thing didn't make any sense. Did Mulder really think he was going to prove something in that obviously biased mockery of a trial? He made it seem like he had some big trick up his sleeve, but he did nothing.

And yeah, I thought of TNG and Seinfeld with the court finale thing, too.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
I guess Chris Carter just kind of forgot to write an ending for the episode.......?! Looks like the movie is going to pick up right where this episode left off. Luckily, December 22, 2012 is a ways off. :frowning:

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I started to fade towards the end (too much beer). What was the deal with CSM going on about the year 2012 and that Mulder knew what he was talking about because he had seen it? Was he implying that Mulder had been to the future?

All in all, seems like it didnt wrap a whole lot up. Is Mulder still going to be on the run from the super soldiers?

Why did Kersh suddenly decide to play nice?

Also, I was bummed to find out the Lone Gunmen really are dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks