Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

X-Files Series Finale - 5/19/02

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 of 82 OFFLINE   Jacob Perry

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 12:17 PM

Well it has been a hell of a run! The past nine years (!) have all been great, yes I even enjoyed seasons 6 and 7. In my opinion it is one of the greatest shows ever. Thanks Chris Carter and company!

#2 of 82 OFFLINE   Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 01:48 PM

Hercs review is up at AICN...and hes less than thrilled. I quit watching years ago but I'll give 'The Truth' a shot tonight, but my expectations are pretty low. It seems like every year Carter claims that hes going to wrap up a lot of the past storylines, but I have yet to see this happen (at least in any reasonable fashion). Anyway, like I said...I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling I'll be switching over to Survivor (which TiVo will already be getting for me) sooner rather than later. JQ

#3 of 82 OFFLINE   Travis Olson

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor

• 939 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 01:49 PM

I agree. It was one of the best shows ever on television. I hear they are going to make another movie, that would be great, I absolutely loved Fight the Future.

#4 of 82 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 02:47 PM

This series started off with a bang. It stayed 2 years too long in my opinon. They ran out of ideas and got away from the original premise. The film was awful. The next one is supposed to arrive in 2004. The finale has not gotten any real good buzz but I'll watch anyway.

#5 of 82 OFFLINE   Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 02:58 PM

I watched the first thirty minutes, had it on mute, then watched the last thirty.

Scarily, I don't think I missed anything. And absolutely nothing seemed to get resolved. I'm glad I was busy doing something else while it was on, or I would have felt extremely ripped off.

I stopped watching in Season Six, for place of reference Posted Image
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#6 of 82 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 03:11 PM

Just caught this installment three hours earlier on the Canadian affiliate. Being a fan since the middle of the second season, I have to say I was pleased with the way things ended. Without any spoilers, let me just say the characters who return for cameos each have their own moments, and they're electric. The production quality of this finale is absolutely top notch, and could be considered a movie in its own right. The acting is wonderfully done, with Duchovny bringing his own kind of humour to the scenes where he reunites with Skinner and Scully in the first quarter of the episode. Mark Snow creates an absolutely beautiful score for this one. While he may been doing quite a bit of experimenting with new sounds this season, he really weaves some beautiful themes into his work. True, the ending is a bit of a downer, and I believe that there'll be more unhappy fans then contents ones, but I believe Carter actually stayed true to the series. Overall, I'd give it a strong B+. Note: The trial portion of the episode is very reminiscent of the final episodes of Seinfeld and Star Trek : The Next Generation. Enjoy!

#7 of 82 OFFLINE   Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 03:15 PM

I just watched it...
The last show basically ties everything together (although, there isn't a lot of new info given)... it leaves the possibility of a movie open. After the show was over, I thought to myself "is that it?" A very sad final episode in my opinion... nothing really earth shattlering is found out.

#8 of 82 OFFLINE   Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 03:33 PM

Mike,

thread already in progress:

http://www.hometheat....threadid=71084

#9 of 82 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,175 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 06:12 PM

This finale just doesn't jive with the idea of the next movie being a stand alone outside of the conspiracy. But, to be fair, Chris Carter made that comment before it was decided this would be the last year. So it looks like the movie will have something to do with the conspiracy. Overall, the show did explain itself, but if you've already put it together there were no surprises. Not the home run everyone was expecting, but it didn't betray the essence of the show which is as many questions raised as answered, so I liked it.

#10 of 82 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 06:31 PM

Mike Graham wrote:
Quote:
Snow's score sounds just "okay" now. It's lost its beautiful "weird" edge---revisit "Synchrony", if you have any doubts, and the earlier mechanical ambient things he did---, and is just ordinary string music. Not bad, but or-di-na-ry.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#11 of 82 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 07:39 PM

Heh, its ironic that you would note that, because after I revisited "Synchrony" on DVD this past winter I found it one of my least favorite episode scores. Posted Image

The best scores that Snow did for the show would be "Paper Hearts", "Redux II" and "Requiem", in my opinion.

#12 of 82 OFFLINE   Mohsen Sadeghi

Mohsen Sadeghi

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 07:51 PM

Could someone please provide a summary of what happened? I could not watch. Was CSM back?

#13 of 82 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,839 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 19 2002 - 08:02 PM

CSM, Krycek, Mr. X, Spender, Marita Covarrubias, the Lone Gunmen, it was like a who's who of the series.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#14 of 82 OFFLINE   Mohsen Sadeghi

Mohsen Sadeghi

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 08:23 PM

It is good to know LG are not dead (they are alive, right? or was it a flashback)

#15 of 82 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 08:48 PM

Not a flashback...
But along with Krycek and Mr. X, the Lone Gunmen were Ghosts appearring to Mulder
I'm really not sure how I feel about the whole show yet. I think I have to give it a day or two to sink in. -Ric

#16 of 82 OFFLINE   Jehan

Jehan

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 09:05 PM

However horrid some of the writing got over the last few years I'm still sad to see it go. Not a great finale by any means, all we are left with is the chemistry between Scully & Mulder and the possibility of a movie (or few?). Still one of my favorite shows and for a while one of the best shows on TV. Look forward to watching the DVDs in the years to come Posted Image.

To make this episode fall in line with the rest of this season...

* why the heck didn't the black helicopters just blow away mulder/scully and/or doggett/reyes?

* getting out of that military base was just way too easy - cut the fence? hmmm.

* that scene with the supersoldier getting too close to the ferite was ridiculous...

Home Theater • 2004 Film List • 2003 Film List • 2002 Film List • 2001 Film List

#17 of 82 OFFLINE   Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman

Producer

• 4,956 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 09:22 PM

First off, let me say this: it was impossible to make this episode good. Given how absurd the arc got, they would either have had to spend the whole time just rattling off sweeping descriptions of everything that happened in the past (which they did) or focus on a decent episode with action and intrigue that would leave more stuff open. With the first approach, it is boring, with the second, no questions get answered. So, I respect them just picking one and going with it. However: GHOSTS? WTF? The big final question that Mulder had was about talking to the dead? What did that have to do with anything? It was just a paltry excuse to bring back some guest stars and try to top off the whole thing with some pseudo-spiritual nonsense. Very stupid, IMO. And the whole trial thing didn't make any sense. Did Mulder really think he was going to prove something in that obviously biased mockery of a trial? He made it seem like he had some big trick up his sleeve, but he did nothing. And yeah, I thought of TNG and Seinfeld with the court finale thing, too.

#18 of 82 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 09:44 PM

Mike Broadman wrote:

[quote]

[quote]
"Delenda est . . . . "

#19 of 82 OFFLINE   John C

John C

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 10:36 PM

I guess Chris Carter just kind of forgot to write an ending for the episode.......?! Looks like the movie is going to pick up right where this episode left off. Luckily, December 22, 2012 is a ways off. Posted Image

#20 of 82 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted May 19 2002 - 10:40 PM

I started to fade towards the end (too much beer). What was the deal with CSM going on about the year 2012 and that Mulder knew what he was talking about because he had seen it? Was he implying that Mulder had been to the future? All in all, seems like it didnt wrap a whole lot up. Is Mulder still going to be on the run from the super soldiers? Why did Kersh suddenly decide to play nice? Also, I was bummed to find out the Lone Gunmen really are dead.
Government in action = Government inaction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users