What's new

Lookin' like GTA3 for Xbox is Xtinct... (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Take-Two Interactive, the publisher behind the Rockstar Games and Gathering of Developers labels, has announced its lineup for E3. Perhaps more interesting than the games that are mentioned in the announcement are the games that aren't mentioned. Namely, Grand Theft Auto III and State of Emergency for the Xbox, both of which have been announced by Take-Two in various financial reports, but have all but vanished since that announcement. Take-Two representatives offered no comment when asked about the lack of GTAIII Xbox in Take-Two's E3 plan
This is posted at Gamespot.

Granted that's not totally conclusive that there will be no Xbox version BUT...it certainly doesn't bode very well.

Personally, it's always been mho that there wouldn't be a GTA3 for The Box. I'm holding out that they're skippin' 3 and going straight for 4 for Xbox.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I kinda figured this would happen. While GTA3 may not be coming out for the XBox, I wouldn't lose all hope. I'd guess that future GTA titles will make their way to the xbox. In the meantime, I'm glad I've got GTA3 for the PS2 :)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Draven: pick it up for the PC it's coming out soon. It sounds like it mops the floor with the PS2 version.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They could be updating the graphics for the X-Box and not want to show it with anything less than what they will be able to do.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Take-Two representatives offered no comment when asked about the lack of GTAIII Xbox in Take-Two's E3 plan
This no comment part is what I don't get. Maybe it's because I'm skeptical and I don't think the game is coming so I figure they should just say so and be done with it. I don't think people would kill them for saying so. But who knows, maybe they really are doing something for the Xbox.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
They aren't saying anything because they are really finishing up GTA4 exclusivly designed to take FULL advantage of the Xbox!
What?! A guy can dream can't he? ;)
Seriously, I think they are just waiting for E3 so the anouncement brings the most thunder, but anything can happen I guess.
Dean

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Perhaps they'll wait a month or so after the PC version is released (forcing everyone who doesn't own a PS2 to run out and buy it if they really want a GTA3 fix) before they announce an XBox version. That "no comment" business seems a little suspicious.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
I think they're skipping GTA3 for the Xbox. 4 is supposed to be out for Christmas, ain't it? Makes more sense to concentrate efforts on 4 then waist time porting a game about to be supersceded.

They aren't saying anything because they are really finishing up GTA4 exclusivly designed to take FULL advantage of the Xbox!
I hope you don't mean GTA4 would be Xbox only. GTA3 has sold more copies for the PS2 than there are Xboxes in the world. The developers/publishers are so stupid as to ignore those numbers, no matter how much MS dangles in front of them.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
hwshi

Hopefully this will never happen. I was pissed when MS bought Bungie. Halo was originally shown running on the Macintosh and was supposed to be released first for Mac/PC. Then MS comes along and buys up Bungie. If they buy up Rockstar then I'd be furious. Microsoft takes the attitude where if they can't offer a more compelling product, buy out the developer. I've had enough with Microsoft dominating the computer industry, and I don't wanna see them do the same with console games. Having said that, if they bought Rockstar PS2 owners would be left in the dark. It's Rockstar's decision if they want to make it for the XBox or not. I'm guessing with the numbers of XBox consoles sold they decided it wasn't worth it to port GTA3 to the Xbox so late in the game. I'd bet that if XBox sales pick up, expect to see future GTA titles on the PS2, PC, and XBox. Anyhow, I'm not trying to sound anti XBox. It's a very cool system, I just don't wanna see microsoft squash competition in yet another industry. GTA for XBox=Good MS buying up the developer=bad

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
But it's OK for Sony to shell out big bucks so that a game never sees the light of day on any other system but the PS2?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft takes the attitude where if they can't offer a more compelling product, buy out the developer.
Just like Sony and Nintendo. I remember when Nintendo took 'Phear' away from the Jaguar (it eventually showed up as Tetrisphere on the N64). Remember when Psygnosis was independent?
I guess what you are really saying is that you don't want Microsoft in the console business, period. Because if they don't play the game, they will fail. They have to do what they are doing.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Didn't we have this exact same conversation a few months ago? :)
To "buy" Rockstar, Take Two would have to sell off the division to Microsoft. I don't see that happening when that's where most of Take Two's income/profit comes from.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I really wish these guys would just give us a straight answer - yes or no - and be done with it. I can't imagine what they have to gain with this strategy of perpetual 'no comments'.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Sean,

Please don't put words in my mouth. You're inferring that I approve of Sony's usage of similar tactics. I never stated this. If you've followed my posts here, you'll see that I'm not a big fan of console exclusives. It's one thing is a game is made by a first (or even second party) developer and remains on one machine. However, I get angry when I see all these games becoming PS2, Gamecube, or XBox exclusive. Not everyone can afford to own all three consoles(or for that matter really wants to have that large an investment in video game machines.) In general I dislike these tactics. Do I wish Microsoft wasn't in the console business? Sure, but I also wish they didn't have their fingers in so many other areas. With the degree of competition in the console market, I don't have a big problem with MS being there. The XBox is a great machine, and I'm enjoying borrowing the console from my brother. I realize buying out developers is the nature of the beast in some ways, but I really wish people would stop thinking that this is a favorable tactic for the consumer. It's anything but. Again, don't take my post the wrong way. As I've said, I'd like to see GTA come to the XBox as it's a great game and I think as many people as possible should be able to give it a try. However, someone saying they want microsoft to buy out a developer in order to bring the next GTA game to the XBox and keep it from other consoles just doesn't make any sense to me.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I doubt that MS would be all that interested in purchasing a publisher,and that's essentially what Take-Two Interactive is. If you want the gta series or something like it, buy DMA, or buy their talent. That's what sony did when they launched the playstation. They raided EA's talent pool to help create the Gameday franchise which consisited primarily of ex-madden guys. I remember when I bought the game and played it. I said, holy cow, this is madden!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
you'll see that I'm not a big fan of console exclusives.
That begs the question then why bother having more than one console to begin with? If all the systems had all the same games there would be nothing to distinguish each system except for the hardware itself. Now that I personally don't like.

If anything the exclusive titles are what make each particular system an atttractive purchase. What would the Playstaion 2 be without Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy? How about Nintendo? How would the GC fare without Mario, Zelda, etc... Even Microsoft. Would the X-box be as interesting without Halo or Jet Set Radio Future?

I think exclusives help to distinguish and in fact provide variety for those looking to buy a system. As potential buyers its our responsibility to choose which console has the greatest and most appealing variety of games (to our tastes of course). Without exclusives you essentially remove the competition between consoles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks