What's new

HD RPTV, Panny, Samsung, or a Sony?? (1 Viewer)

Justin Gates

Agent
Ok, here are the 3 choices:

Panasonic pt47wx49

Samsung HCL4715W

Sony KP-51HW40

I've narrowed it down to one of these 3 and I really need some opinions. Either for or against these particular models.

The set will be used primarily for watching DVD's currently.

If it makes a difference, I do plan to get the set ISF calibrated.

I've read alot about how the panasonic looks simply awesome once calibrated but I'm concerned about the "pop" problem I've heard about these sets.

The samsung picture looks great but there doesnt seem to be alot of info on these sets.

The Sony looks really nice and is a slightly bigger picture but for my viewing distance, 51" is the max I'd want to go. Is the Sony worth the extra money (probably be about $700 or so more than the other 2 sets.

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Check out www.panny.tv and you will find a lot of useful info( and a lot of satisfied Panny owners!!). For the money the Panny is hard to beat. I researched for weeks before I purchased my 47" Panny, and I am thoroughly satisfied(especially after having it ISF'd.). The prices are dropping, as they make room for the new model, so you should be able to get it at quite a steal. For DVD viewing, the Panny is like having your own little movie theatre without the crowds. I have had no problems with the "pop" issue, and actually, there is a simple fix @ panny.tv, if it should happen.
Chris

NathanS

Agent
I've had the Samsung HCL4715W for 6 months, and love it. I shopped it against the Panasonic pt47wx49, but the Panasonic lost due to the lack of a screen protector.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you were not going to have it ISF'd, I'd definitely recommend the Sony as they are quite good out of the box and nigglies like SVM and red push are very easily fixed in the service menu. The nearest ISF tech to me is over 200 miles away, making the service prohibitively expensive.

However, since you definitely do plan on professional calibration, the Panny is probably a better choice since it's much less money and looks great after calibration. The 4" screen size difference isn't worth another $600-700 imho.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Panny 47", and you can get the PT47WX51, which is the same set but has the screen protector for around $1500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks