Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HD RPTV, Panny, Samsung, or a Sony??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Justin Gates

Justin Gates

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 03:16 PM

Ok, here are the 3 choices:

Panasonic pt47wx49
Samsung HCL4715W
Sony KP-51HW40

I've narrowed it down to one of these 3 and I really need some opinions. Either for or against these particular models.

The set will be used primarily for watching DVD's currently.

If it makes a difference, I do plan to get the set ISF calibrated.

I've read alot about how the panasonic looks simply awesome once calibrated but I'm concerned about the "pop" problem I've heard about these sets.

The samsung picture looks great but there doesnt seem to be alot of info on these sets.

The Sony looks really nice and is a slightly bigger picture but for my viewing distance, 51" is the max I'd want to go. Is the Sony worth the extra money (probably be about $700 or so more than the other 2 sets.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted May 17 2002 - 01:30 PM

Check out www.panny.tv and you will find a lot of useful info( and a lot of satisfied Panny owners!!). For the money the Panny is hard to beat. I researched for weeks before I purchased my 47" Panny, and I am thoroughly satisfied(especially after having it ISF'd.). The prices are dropping, as they make room for the new model, so you should be able to get it at quite a steal. For DVD viewing, the Panny is like having your own little movie theatre without the crowds. I have had no problems with the "pop" issue, and actually, there is a simple fix @ panny.tv, if it should happen.
Chris

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   NathanS

NathanS

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted May 18 2002 - 05:28 AM

I've had the Samsung HCL4715W for 6 months, and love it. I shopped it against the Panasonic pt47wx49, but the Panasonic lost due to the lack of a screen protector.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted May 18 2002 - 08:08 AM

If you were not going to have it ISF'd, I'd definitely recommend the Sony as they are quite good out of the box and nigglies like SVM and red push are very easily fixed in the service menu. The nearest ISF tech to me is over 200 miles away, making the service prohibitively expensive.

However, since you definitely do plan on professional calibration, the Panny is probably a better choice since it's much less money and looks great after calibration. The 4" screen size difference isn't worth another $600-700 imho.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 18 2002 - 04:01 PM

I love my Panny 47", and you can get the PT47WX51, which is the same set but has the screen protector for around $1500.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users