What's new

"The Others" chapter menu warning (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
I've already seen the movie when it came out but my brother hasn't. He took a hold of my DVD and looked at the chapter selection. I noticed something in one of the chapter name and immediately grabbed it from him. I believe it was for chapter 12, completely revealed the ending. Boy, that was close. Why don't studio be more careful.

Just thought I warn those who haven't seen the movie and has picked up the DVD. It would have completely ruin the ending for you.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Luc. I have it at home ready for a weekend viewing. I'll make sure I avoid the chapter selections.
Peace Out~:D

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
thanx for the info. I read the chapter list B4 movies so I will avoid these ones. I'll watch this one on friday night.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not judging anyone here, and I know that everybody's got their own preferences, but why in God's name would you look at the chapter names and stops before you watch a movie? Doesn't that give you too much information, ideas on what to expect, ruin plot points, etc. on a regular basis?

My attitude is the less that I know about a movie before I watch it, the better. I know that not everyone feels the same way, but I guess I don't understand why you would read the chapters. Aren't you planning on watching the whole thing in one shot anyway?

This is meant as a real question, BTW, and not an attempt to mock, or even debate the merits of reading the chapter lists. I'd appreciate it if somebody could enlighten me.

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
Doug, his brother was probably looking at the chapter list because The Others only came with a one piece of paper insert, containing the movie poster on one side and the chapter list on the other. And if Luc's brother is like me, I look at the insert first, and by then my dvd has loaded and I can watch the movie.
Can't wait to watch this movie again though... :)

Matt_Wizall

Agent
Thank you, Luc. I haven't seen the film but was certainly thinking about buying it anyways. I need a "spooky" film in my collection and it seems to be getting rave reviews. I'll avoid those chapter selections :)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
The studio really wants to spoil this movie for you. There is a quote right on the front cover that says

"A wicked twist of an ending!"

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The ending of this film was already ruined for me by "friends" of mine. It really took the punch out of the film for me. I could see it was an excellent film but would have enjoyed it more thoroughly had I not been told. As I'm very careful never to reveal much of anything about a film to people, I find it unreasonable that others don't return the favor.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Nothing new though for studios to ruin an ending.

Look at how many people were annoyed at the fact that on the front cover for the Planet of The Apes that the Statue of Liberty was right there. On the back of Friday The 13th Part One, Betsy Palmer is shown right on the back holding a knife with an angrey look on her face. Being that fact that many think it is Jason in those films, having here on the back makes one wonder what the hell does this have to do with anything? Nothing new at all.

I really believe that this is part of the reasoning why that David Lynch refused to put chapter stops on his disc. That why it is even made possible by the producted content to expose endings...

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

Here's my answer for you. People don't necessarily go and read the chapter titles on purpose. When my brother looked at it, it only took me one glance to notice the spoiler. Headings on chapter selection are just a few words, not a full sentence that would need more than a glance to get the meanings. Have you ever drive by a freeway sign and just picked up a word or two with no effort or intentionally reading it? It just happens.

Also, what about if you didn't finish a movie and continue later, wouldn't you have to look at the chapters to see where you left off? Wouldn't you accidently run into the spoilers? I just think studios should just be more careful in choosing words on their chapter headings.

Marc-Andre

Auditioning
Something similar happened to me with The Usual Suspects SE... I'd never seen it, and for some reason I decided to start the movie from the chapter selection, and it showed the bottom of the mug with Kobayashi written on it.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
reviewers, even if they try not to spoil it, often do. for instance, for The Others, many said

best thing since Sixth Sense

or things like that. once you hear that comparison, you can kinda expect what's going to happen, in my case

it was pretty obvious someone was dead, I was expecting the kids to be dead and perhaps the mother was either dead or could still see the ghosts, although I wasn't expecting the whole lot of them including servants to be dead.

JonBarnhill

Auditioning
I don't think that the chapter heading reveals any information because it is not noted who the quote comes from.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
I've found that in most cases if you don't hit play immediately after the menu appears on most DVDs the cool animations give stuff away.

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
That's just sucky... thankfully when I went to the The Others in the theater I had no idea of any spoilers or did I care to try and figure then out early, I just enjoyed the movie (same with every movie I see) I tend to avoid movies that already have the ending or twists given away so the studios aren't being too smart on that...

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
The problem I have with movies with surprise endings is people who already saw the movie and tell me that it has a twist ending, no matter how subtle they try to be.

I am VERY analytical, so when I hear something like that I can't help BUT to try to figure it out or look for clues to help me figure it out.

Back before this movie was released, a thread was started in the MOVIE section with the topic header as:

Did Jay Leno give away the twist ending to The Others

As soon as I read that (which there was nothing I could do to avoid reading it) I was highly pissed because the only thing up to that point that I knew about the movie was that I wanted to see it and that is it.

People need to learn to use other words to try to "sell" a movie. The way I tried to get people to see it was to ask if they heard ANYTHING about the movie, and if they didn't I told them (if they were interested) not to read any reviews and don't let anyone TRY to describe the movie to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks