What's new

Acoustic Research HC-2 (1 Viewer)

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody here has any thoughts on this set of speakers. I'm looking to set up a not-so-expesive first HT. I've read some pretty good reviews on it, but have never seen them mentioned by anyone here. I wish I was in a position to audition speakers, but that isn't much of an option, gotta order online.

Thanks,

Matt

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
AR seems to have lost some of their past glory, but I still love um. I use AR all around and they sound great for the price I payed for them. Try ordering it from Crutchfield, I think they stock it, if you don't like it you can return it in 30 days and get a refund. I word of caution however, Crutchfield has some of the worst prices on their gear so if you happen to love the setup, you will most likely be short changed.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
If it were me, I would check Authorized Online Dealers other
than Crutchfield. For what Crutch would charge you for the
HC2 you can get the better HC6 setup from another reputable
vendor.
See if www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com or www.etronics.com or
www.accesories4less.com have the HC2 or HC6 packages in stock.
I would go for the HC6 personaly, it's a better setup.
I run AR all around but I bought all seperate components.
I purchased from all of the above listed etailers with no
complaints.
And saved a fortune over what Crutch charges.

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses.
I was kind of wondering what the difference was between the HC-2 and the HC-6 myself. I was probably going to get the speakers through A4L. If I remember correctly, the HC-2 are something like $449, and the HC-6 are maybe $80 more. If they are worth the extra cash, I'd consider going with the HC-6.
Of course this is all subject to change anyway. So many choices, so little time... :D

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Of course you can go straight to AR's web site to get infor:
http://www.acoustic-research.com/.
If you go to A4L, you can get the PS-2052's for 90 a pair, get 3 pair of those for 270 and a AR-S112PS for 190, and your out the door for 460 (less than the cost of the HC-6).
The 2052's go lower than the satelites in the HC-6 set up. Maybe you could talk them into splitting a box of 2052's for yah.
I got the 2062's and really like them.

Joseph_Mikhail

Stunt Coordinator
matt-

If I were you, I would go with the High Res all the way around instead of the HC6.

Center-AR4C ($150)

Mains and Surrounds- AR15 ($400 total)

Sub- Sony SAWM40 ($150)

Total cost = $700. Thats about $200 more than the HC6 but well worth it.

I have the HC2 (and love it) but if I had it to do over, I would have paid a little more for this setup.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There was a review of the HC6 in S&V. It said it was a good system, but the sub is the weak point, so count on upgrading the sub in the future.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking of adding the HC6 to a bedroom setup....It seems perfect in size and quality for that sort of system....I havent heard anyone who has this system complain about it...

Dave

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
It said it was a good system, but the sub is the weak point, so count on upgrading the sub in the future.
AR's best sub is the AR-S500. I have one and that thing rocks, 15-Inch downfiring woofer with 500 Watts of Bob Carver Sunfire power. It is incredibly cheap for what you get, only about $500 shipped. Highly recommended.

Also, has anyone heard the AR-1's from the High-Res series? I was thinking of getting a pair about 2 years ago, but hate to have to order a $1500 pair of speakers and then ship them back if I don't like them.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Travis,

I run the AR9's and aside from the sub and internal amps

the AR1's are basicly the same. The AR1's come with thier

own internal Carver TDC Amps and 15" Subs which hit with

the same kind of authority as your ARS500, though I don't

believe the AR1's will go as low.

I absolutely LOVE my AR9's and I wouldn't trade them for

the world. I have Performance Series speakers for surround

and I had a PS center channel and they just do not compare

to the Hi Res series at all. The poly tweeter is way too

laid back for me.

I need one of those ARS500's but they are getting scarce!

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah, that was another reason I was kind of holding back, the dual 15-Inch powered woofers in each speaker, it seemed like overkill to me since I already have the ARS500 for most of my bass.

I use the AR 308HOs on stands as mains, the HO center (can't remember the model # of hand) and AR Edges as surrounds. The 308s are damn fine speakers, but I was looking for floor standing models at the time, but ultimately decided to just stick with the 308s for the time being. Now the AR9's have sparked my interest so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a set.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I need to get my hands on one of those ARS-500's :)
My AR9's amaze me at thier ability to go low and fairly
clean. It's been proven that they nail 100DB at 32Hz and
with less than 10% Distorsion which is great for a tower,
especialy one that doesn't cost 10K a pair.
And they do play lower than 32 but your output does drop off.
I think they could be well mated to an ARS500 because the
AR9's are not internaly powered you have more flexibility
with them.

Users who are viewing this thread