What's new

Dipole speaker placement if sitting against back wall. (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
My seating position in my room is along the back wall of my 19'x 13' room. I have Energy RVSS dipole surround speakers. Where is the best position to place these speakers? I have to sit at the back wall because of room restrictions. Any suggestions or should I be using direct radiating speakers in this situation? Thanks.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
General guideline is to place the dipoles directly to the side of the listening position, so the viewers are sitting in the null. Being against the wall as you are would change that pattern, especially since the speakers would basically be in the corners of the room. I would probably try placing them above you along the back wall. When I had my dipoles behind me I thought that there was a significant hole on the sides, but then my room is bigger and you have the benefit of adjacent side walls to reflect the sound. Then try to the sides for comparison.

I recently converted to monopoles for my surrounds, finding the overall home theater experience more powerful because of them (see my other posts).

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
Just a follow up..I sit along the 19' wall because I get better imaging and better bass response from the front channels along the longer wall (as reccommended by Dunlavy Audio room considerations http://www.dunlavyaudio.com/audio_files/listening.html ). If I put the front channels along the shorter wall imaging collapses and bass is too boomy. So I have fixed the front soundstage but I am forced to sit along the back wall. If I put my dipoles on the side walls they would also be very close to the back wall in the corner, and I'm not sure if this is ok. The local IMAX theater puts the surround channels up high in the corners of the back wall facing down toward the listener. I'm thinking monopoles my be better in my situation. I would like to know if anyone else has a similar room setup or opinions from professionals. Thanks

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I wish I had a 19' wall to use, but am in a similar situation. I have my dipoles on shelves about 3' overhead on the back wall, about 10' apart. In the overall scheme of my theater area, this gives a good presentation but would like to know what these would have sounded like with recommended dipole placement. Moving to an apartment soon and will be forced to place them in the same configuration, so will be switching to monopoles eventually, since I rarely watch anything in Pro-Logic now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks