Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

British TV Series release thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 06:47 AM

Well I was wondering how many of you want several britisch
tv sitcom's released on dvd.

I am asking you to vote on the titles listed below.
I want to send the results of this thread to Acorn Media which releases several English tv-series.
Ok these are the shows I am talking about :

DAD'S ARMY
KEEPING UP APPEARANCES
SOME MOTHER'S DO HAVE 'EM
ON THE BUSSES
ARE YOU BEING SERVED ?
ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE
IT AIN'T HALF HOT MUM
YOU RANG MY LORD
TO THE MANOR BORN

I am interested to know how many of you want these series
on dvd.

Moderators I know that this strikes a resemblence to the other thread but they are talking about US series the most
so I hope you will keep this open to the public.
Thanks Posted Image
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 07:20 AM

Sorry, but I don't want any of those, but there are several others that I do want, and it's been over a decade since I've seen them, so most of the titles are gone. In particular, the one about the post-plague drama. I guess we need the Brits to chime in and help.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 07:38 AM

Actually "Dad's Army" is already available in the US.

A company called BFS Video has released a box set of three discs, containing 18 episodes.

They've used some slightly edited master tapes, but the box is relatively cheap, and, IMHO, well worth picking up.

As for Glenn's "post-plague drama" - that would probably be "(Terry Nation's) Survivors", which first aired in 1975.

Here's just about the best episode guide for the first series of the show:
http://time-screen.f...com/suv1epg.htm

Be seeing you,

Julian K

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Brion Lydon

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 07:39 AM

Don't forget... Harry Enfield and Chums Brilliant Father Ted Goodness Gracious Me British Men Behaving Badly League of Gentlemen Coupling The Royal Family

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 08:28 AM

Since you want to submit this for Acorn's benefit only, this makes a list hard to do. Dealing with BBC programs, it is hard to tell which titles they will license to other companies or hold on to produce on DVD themselves later (which then would probably only come to Region 1 through Warner). We also have A&E making DVDs of UK TV shows. I guess I can come up with a list of shows I want to see in Region 1 that Acorn might be able to license. Blake's Seven (VHS tapes have been outsourced in the past in the UK and North America [BFS Video], the BBC may be waiting to see if the new TV movie gets made before relicensing the show) Dangermouse (two volumes out on DVD by P.T. Video in Region 2) The Tripods (Season 1 out on DVD by Second Sight in Region 2, Season 2 delayed due to rights issues) The Tomorrow People (the original 70's series)

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 08:39 AM

Brion - The first series of "Father Ted" is available from BFS, (and will soon be available, with commentary track apparently, in Region 2). The first season of "The League of Gentlemen" is also available in the US (and in the UK) on disc, with a very funny commentary track and deleted scenes. The Region 2 version is anamorphic widescreen (most UK shows are now shot in 16:9 widescreen).

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 09:28 AM

Michael - I believe season 2 of The Tripods is out later this month (23rd July). Posted Image

Basically I will buy any comedy series the BBC made from the 1970s back, and also anything written by John Sullivan, Jim Perry or David Croft.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 04:25 PM

Julian K - My thanks! I wasn't sure that was the title. I thought that 'Survivors' was just great. I'd also like to see 'Allo 'Allo & Good Life which was renamed to 'Good Neighbors' for its US release. Glenn

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 06:12 PM

Philip, the 23rd July date for Series 2 of The Tripods was abandoned about a month ago (though the online retailers were slow to pull preorders). Multiple indirect sources claim that there was a last minute rights issue. I hope that Second Sight can get the holdup solved soon even though the PAL to NTSC conversion ability of my Hollywood+ card is a little flaky. I haven't seen that season of the show in 12-14 years except for the first two episodes (which are probably the weakest of that year) from an off-air copy of mine. I'd still rebuy both sets if a NTSC version ever appeared.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted July 08 2001 - 09:48 PM

Michael - that is bad news indeed! Posted Image I'm just glad I have the three Tripods audio CDs from Ken Freeman's website to keep me going till "whenever"...

While I'm here let me also add The Box of Delights, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Smilie's People, and Secret Army to the list.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted July 10 2001 - 08:05 PM

Definitely need the following: Harry Enfield & Chums French & Saunders (all of them please) Big Train Goodness Gracious Smack the Pony (look for this on Bravo) Mr. Bean Frye & Laurie Hmm, I guess I tend to mostly enjoy British sketch comedy rather than their sitcoms. Still it would be nice to get more British stuff over here, they've got lots of great stuff that I know would have some audience over hear.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted July 11 2001 - 05:02 PM

I'd like to see these on Region 1 DVD: DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SET RIPPING YARNS RUTLAND WEEKEND TELEVISION THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY THE MRS. BRADLEY MYSTERIES ADAM ADAMANT LIVES! THE CHAMPIONS (perhaps A&E will do this eventually) MR. BEAN (done properly)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted July 11 2001 - 05:07 PM

I would add: That Was the Week That Was A Show Called Fred Wodehouse Playhouse Yes, Minister Hancock's Half-Hour The Young Ones ------------------

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted July 11 2001 - 06:59 PM

come on, what about:
Hale & Pace! (oh yes its utterly utterly rotten to be ginger)
Red Dwarf
Not the 9 o'clock news

Posted Image

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted July 11 2001 - 08:02 PM

RED DWARF!!! PLEASE!

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Sarah S

Sarah S

Second Unit

• 332 posts

Posted July 11 2001 - 10:37 PM

I would especially shell out money for: Young Ones, The Red Dwarf Are You Being Served? French & Saunders Fry & Laurie Tomorrow People Box of Delights Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy All in the Narnia Series Good Life/Good Neighbors Mr Bean Dr Who and the Curse of Fatal Death Willing to try others at random!
My DVD List
"The sea-monkey has my money."
"The stars are ageless, aren't they?"
"Dude, that goalie was pissed!"

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Steve Hauben

Steve Hauben

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted July 12 2001 - 09:32 AM

A big vote for "Are You Being Served?"! -Steve
-Steve

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts

Posted July 12 2001 - 02:25 PM

I'd vote for: Yes Minister Yes, Prime Minister Porridge The Good Life Hancock (selection including The Blood Donor and The Radio Ham)
Bruce Morrison

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Brian Baughn

Brian Baughn

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted August 15 2001 - 07:12 PM

The shows I would like to see released are: Campion Secret Army Colditz Frances Durbridge Presents Z Cars Wodehouse Playhouse When The Boat Comes In By The Sword Divided Allo Allo Out Of The Unknown Lovejoy Bergerac Survivors Blake's 7 Day of the Triffids Jonathan Creek

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   LisaH

LisaH

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted August 16 2001 - 10:24 AM

Kinda corny I know, but I'd like to see The Robin of Sherwood series relesed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users