Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

CTHV Press Release: "1776"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,876 posts

Posted May 13 2002 - 08:56 PM

Independence Day Goes Musical in

=======
=======

Premiering on DVD July 2
in a Restored Director's Cut

Film Version of Acclaimed Broadway Musical by
Sherman Edwards and Peter Stone Celebrates
the Founders of the United States

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Culver City, Calif. (May 13, 2002) - One of the last
big-budget studio musicals and also one of the most unique of its kind,
director Peter H. Hunt's film version of the favorite Broadway musical
1776 premieres on DVD July 2 - just in time for Independence Day - from
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment.
Starring William Daniels (TV's "St. Elsewhere") as John Adams
and Broadway veteran Howard Da Silva as Ben Franklin, 1776 is a rare
combination of memorable music and U.S. history that received an Oscar
nomination for Best Cinematography and a Golden Globe nomination for
Best Picture - Musical or Comedy.
1776 was hailed by The Wall Street Journal as "a wonderfully
happy meeting of our distinct American history with that particularly
American dramatic form: the musical comedy."
The restored director's cut features digitally mastered audio
and video, along with a widescreen presentation that preserves the
theatrical aspect ration. It also includes more than 20 minutes of
footage originally cut from the film's 1972 theatrical release,
including the musical number "Cool, Cool Considerate Men." The DVD also
offers screen tests for the leading roles, production notes (including a
keepsake booklet) and audio commentary by director Peter H. Hunt and
screenwriter Peter Stone.

1776: Also starring Ken Howard, Donald Madden, Ron Holgate,
David Ford, Blythe Danner. Musical Numbers Choreographed by Onna White.
Music and Lyrics by Sherman Edwards. Book by Peter Stone. Screenplay by
Peter Stone. Produced by Jack L. Warner. Directed by Peter H. Hunt.

1776 SPECIAL FEATURES
* Digitally Mastered Audio and Anamorphic Video
* Remastered in High Definition
* Widescreen Presentation
* Audio: English 5.1 (Dolby Digital)
* Subtitles: English, French
* Director and Screenwriter Commentary
* Screen Tests
* Production Notes
* Bonus Trailers
* Interactive Menus
* Scene Selections
MPAA Rating: PG (for language) / Price: $29.95
Original Theatrical Release: 1972
Color / Closed Captioned / 166 minutes
DVD #05891 / UPC Code: 0-43396-05891-0
Order Date: June 4, 2002 / Street Date: July 2, 2002

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 37 Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 02:33 AM

They should be shot with musketsPosted Image
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#3 of 37 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 08:26 AM

Sounds pretty interesting. With the exception of the complete "Piddle Twiddle and Resolve" song as a supplement, the DVD should be pretty good.

#4 of 37 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 14 2002 - 02:40 PM

All thats left is to wait and see - certainly looking forward to the new scene, commentary and screen tests.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#5 of 37 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,454 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted May 14 2002 - 04:04 PM

I have to admire Ron's restraint in posting this press release sans commentary... Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#6 of 37 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 05:44 PM

I only know that I would never have shown any such restraint.

#7 of 37 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,876 posts

Posted May 14 2002 - 09:54 PM

When posting Press Releases on behalf of
the studio, I need to remain unbias.

Trust me, I have a mouthful to say about
this release.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 37 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 12:52 AM

Quote:
Trust me, I have a mouthful to say about this release.

I hope you review it, Ron.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#9 of 37 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,876 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 05:14 AM

Peter,

Actually, I have no desire to watch it.

Ronald J Epstein

#10 of 37 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
I'm also very concered about the highly deceptive cover art that they're using.

Looks like I have justification now to keep my laserdisc player. Posted Image

#11 of 37 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 07:47 AM

Quote:

That's too bad. As a mild fan of the film, I'm interested in what you - a major fan - think of the new cut. I know you don't like the *idea* of the new cut, but unless you actually see it...

Obviously, the supplements on the disc could be more extensive.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#12 of 37 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 10:23 AM

"That's too bad. As a mild fan of the film, I'm interested in what you - a major fan - think of the new cut. I know you don't like the *idea* of the new cut, but unless you actually see it..."

I think the answer to this objection lies in the simple fact that when we already know what is being taken out to the last detail, as has been done in the case of this misguided project, we do not have to see the new cut because all we have to do is play our LDs and then make jumps and skips at the appropriate points (once again, there is no new "scene" in this movie, just a five second aside). The truncated "Piddle" is something all of us who watched the movie before 1991 and the LD are familiar with and do not like. The removal of the Overture and Entr'acte is also inexcusable as well. I will be perfectly candid and admit that I could have grumbled but lived with minor cuts like the Tom Paine bit and the "Lees" reprise, but the truncation of "Piddle" and the removal of the Overture and Entra'cte is inexcusable.

Of course one odd question that has never been answered is if the credits are now back at the end of the film (theatrical version) or if they stay at the open of the film like with the LD. The opening credits minus an Overture will not have a proper flow to them in terms of the musical transition.

#13 of 37 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 11:10 AM

I can't wait for this disc! I have been wanting this movie for a long time, and it is finally coming out, and just in time for the 4th of July.

#14 of 37 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 01:45 PM

My friend associated with the project asked me to post this -

The overture and entr'acte were created FROM SCRATCH in 1991. They cannot be legally used, even if it was desired by the director.

The music over the opening titles was altered to flow with the bogus overture.

The opening titles are at the beginning again.

As soon as I have this DVD, I will be doing a full review, comparing this to all available versions (Theatrical, 1991 LD)

It will be at least as in depth as the wonderful reviews that Ron does, and I am as big a fan as he is.

This project has been a rollercoaster of emotion, and I have invested significant energy in it over the last 18 months, from the day I picked up the phone to call Columbia to inform them there was a LONGER version to release and why not look into that instead of releasing the short version.

I was told by someone I've been working with there today, that had I not made that call, we all would have had the Short version on DVD well over a year ago.

But I look forward to seeing what has been done, and giving my complete and unvarnished review when the time comes...

TR Wilkinson

And I cant wait to go over there and see it when it comes!

#15 of 37 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 02:37 PM

You'll pardon me if I don't understand how Columbia can not use something that was part of two legitimate Laser Disc releases by the company utilitizing elements that are their own legal property.

But at any rate this only serves to maintain the perfect record of my not being impressed any time I hear more information about how this was put together.

#16 of 37 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted May 15 2002 - 09:54 PM

a response -

Eric, The producer of the Laserdisc illegally created the Overture and Entr'acte from existing backing track.

Its use in any form other than as backing track over the film is illegal, and was only released due to the fact of its origin not being disclosed.

It is illegal because the musicians that perfom the material were paid to perform for that purpose, using the work in another fashion would require a mountain of clearances and agreements that would be prohibitavely expensive. This is similar to music being licensed to a film, but not having video rights cleared (which delayed releases of films like Heavy Metal and The Last Picture Show for many years)

that is why they were said to be "found" and not created.

The illegal nature of these releases containing these recordings were not known by Columbia, or the powers that be at Pioneer at the time.

The Laserdisc producer lied to get this material that he created included, and anyone else that knew said nothing to avoid having the project relegated to the shelf for an indefinate period while the problem was worked out.

Now that the story is out, the Overture and Entr'acte could NEVER be released in that form - the only option would be to re-record them and add them to the film.

The other problem is that 1776 was never supposed to have an intermission - the show never had one on the stage.

hope this clears this question up a bit.

TR Wilkinson

#17 of 37 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 02:44 AM

I seriously think that the history of this film and all its incarnations would make a great magazine article, if not book. Great stuff!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#18 of 37 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 04:03 AM

The Laser Disc jacket says the Overture and Entr'acte are "reconstructed" thus suggesting right there that what was utilized was not initially recorded for that purpose. Hunt states on the commentary track that one was intended initially, so I doubt there was any evil intent on Joe Caps part, in what was an outstanding effort of putting the LD cut together. And I for one find it very disconcerting that this DVD release is opening the floodgates of attacks on his work and what the LD cut represented, which only strengthens my determination to never dignify this DVD cut by looking at it.

And incidentally, what has stopped the musicians etc. from suing now regarding the LD releases?

#19 of 37 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 04:48 AM

I'm a freshman around here, and need some clarification.
I enjoy the LD of 1776 and have grown accustomed to seeing the film in this format. But is this similar to the situation with Its A Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World, where we fans became accustomed to moments in the reconstructed LD, that were not actually intended to be in the film? Not opening a can of worms, just want to know if that is a fair comparison
Peace

#20 of 37 John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted May 16 2002 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
And I for one find it very disconcerting that this DVD release is opening the floodgates of attacks on his work and what the LD cut represented, which only strengthens my determination to never dignify this DVD cut by looking at it.
I spoke with Joe Caps a while ago, and I think that he put forth tremendous effort to get the laserdisc done. As far as I'm concerned, the laserdisc is the version that I will always prefer. I will not begrudge Peter Hunt his rights to edit his movie the way he sees fit and I will still buy the DVD even with the unbelievably stupid cover art. But I, too, think that it's unfair to slam Joe in the way that many people are.

For example, I disagree with Peter Hunt's decision to reduce the length of "Piddle Twiddle". He claims that it's slow or it slows down the movie or something like that. I disagree. I enjoy the entire song in its entirety. I don't sit there with the fast forward button because the song has three verses instead of (horrors!) two. At least Joe's effort has allowed me to see the entire movie.

What I don't understand is why Peter Hunt seems to believe that the full-length performance is acceptable on broadway yet not acceptable on film. The laserdisc restored, as far as I can tell, the entire production as it would have been performed on stage and written for the stage. Why should that not be acceptable for the movie?

Just my two cents.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow