What's new

Hav our emails & phone calls made any rumblings at Disney re:WS & Snow Dogs & others? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just curious if our email campaign has made any difference? I mean with Wonka, we got word that they were looking into & then finally releasing the movie in WS. Ron or Parker. Do you know any of the reps from Disney to ask?

Sarah S

Second Unit
Well, I know that I kept getting an email from Disney in rsponse to the email I sent them about the P&S dvds....unfortunately, it was in random letters. I sent it back & asked them to clarify as I don't read Babble & they just sent the same thing back to me.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Regardless of if we have heard anything back from them, we still need to keep it up. Don't let them forget that we haven't forgotten ourselves. With each new title that is upcoming, call again. Get someone else to call. They need to know that we mean business, that this isn't an itch to scratch...

Bill

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disney is well aware of the controversy here.

I have received phone calls.

Will it affect changes on future considerations?

That I do not know.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Be sure to rally some "non HTF" enthusiasts to the cause as well. It's *really* easy to dial that 1-800 number.

Keep it up folks. With Disney, we probably won't know we've accomplished anything until the Day they surprise us with a Muppet Treasure Island OAR release. But have to keep up the cause to get to that point.

Urge your Pro-WS friends and family to call. Post Disney's number and explain the situation on newsgroups and other web boards where you can. We *can* win this for the fans.

-dave

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Ron. It must have been an interesting phone call? Although, I am glad they know about the situation. I was hoping we might at least hear rumblings of getting some action on a WS release of Snow Dogs or at least the possibility of Max Keeble being a dual release, since it is not even out yet.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Disney is well aware of the controversy here.

I have received phone calls.

Will it affect changes on future considerations?

That I do not know.

Than apparently these phone calls were not very fruitful. Apparently they didn't indicate that they were looking at least to re-evaluate the situation or any remedys. Geesh, they apparently didn't even give us (i.e. Ron) the idea that they were even trying to "pacify" us. That is the reason that we need to keep up the efforts to let them know not what we desire (because we all know that as a whole, they could care less what we REALLY desire...), but that their own pocketbooks are being affected, short term AND long term [and when I say long term, I mean not only OAR enthusiasts now, but future converts and people with future purchases of widescreen TVs]

Now what really concerns me is that Hollywood with "Pan 'n Scam" movies to fit the 16x9 sets in the future, using the same logic that is applied today...

It is shameful that we have had recent outbreaks that attack the reps who contributed here, and because of this, I am certain that is why there were "phone conversations" rather than postings. Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been a reply to Buena Vista's recent TheDigitalBits' fireside chat with one of their head tech guys follow up questions? That is because they don't care, and they won't care unless we constantly tell them!

If they were truely taking us seriously, then the results of these phone conversations could/would be posted and comments like "Will it affect changes on future considerations? That I do not know." would not happen. This comment sounds so depressing, not only for me, but for its originator as well...

Bill

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

This is Disney. They've never been a vocal studio. They don't sent reps to Studio Day at Dave's Laser Palace either.

For Disney, their call is actually a very good sign that they are aware of the problem. Keep the faith. Even more importantly, continue to urge your friends and family to call and request widescreen. Do what you can as a consumer to let Walmart know you want widescreen as well.

With Disney, we won't know what success we've had with them until after it in our hands in the form of a DVD. And even if they continue to P/S "family" titles on DVD...who knows how many *more* DVD titles they would have P/Sed that we've managed to save from their marketing team! Eventually we'll win...maybe next month and maybe in 5 years. But whenever we win, rest assured that it's remarkably sooner that it otherwise would have been because of our input.

-dave

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Not to add fuel to the fire:

Today - May 14, 2002 - Best Buy:

Snow Dogs: 99 min. DD5.1/DTS 5.1/DD5.1 Spanish

1:33.1 Fullframe

Oliver and Company: 1:66.1 WS anamorphic/DD5.1

Now how is it that on a title 99min they can justify DTS (I am pro DTS on anything - but - just for the sake of argument), very little bonus features - they cannot justify FullFrame/WS - given the storage capacity of a DVD-9 dual layer.

Especially - since Oliver and Company is WS (and at 1.66.1).

Why Oliver and Company WS and not Snow Dogs - this 'Family Film' at FullFrame reasoning just threw out all credibility - and is affecting Disneys' as well.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
the same thing with white fang. first one P&S only, second one P&S and anamorphic W.S. on the same disc.

is #1 a family title and #2 not a family title?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I hope Disney shapes up. They are losing my business on at least 2 upcoming titles. If they continue the current trend, they'll lose far more than that.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Disney will shape up when consumers like us continue to call and complain about the inconsistency in their DVDs (like white fang 1 P/S and white fang 2 16x9 ws) and demand 16x9 WS or no sale.
Call the toll free number :)
Oh...and then call Walmart (thanks Steve for the info!):
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
702 S.W. 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716
1-800-WALMART (1-800-925-6278) or 479-273-4000.
Fill out their online form:
http://161.165.200.61/wmstore/wmstor...OnlineForm.jsp
New campaign...contact Walmart!!!

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
As I've mentioned on a couple of other threads, Disney is now rumoured to be releasing the Widescreen 2-Disc SE of Sleeping Beauty over here in the UK this November (unlike France and Germany we only got the P&S edition this Spring).

The question is, is this because of consumer pressure from sites such as HTF, or was the 2-stage release planned all along, in the hope that collectors would buy both editions?

One thing is sure, the delay was not due to a delay in compiling the material. An English language copy of the second disc was accidentally sent out for review, so it was definitely available for release back then.

Sarah S

Second Unit
Frankly, this is my main reasoning for saving up for a Malata; titles that are never going to be OAR here might as well be bought overseas. :frowning:

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Supposedly, Disney monitors all this stuff. They may even be "concerned". I was told that they are monitoring posts and comments about the altering they do to foreign films, too.

They must just sit back and laugh because they just cut another foriegn film to shreds and they continue with their releasing pan and scan/full frame titles.

I won't purchase any DVD that shows an altered movie. That includes Non-OAR, edited, censored, and any other way Disney changes their movies.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks