What's new

Question about Rush *Signals* album. Canadians may be able to help. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This is a question I've always wanted to ask. On the back cover of Rush Signals, there is a blueprint for "Warren Cromartie Secondary School". Now, I know that a Warren Cromartie was a left-handed first baseman for the Montreal Expos back in the '80s (I'm a big baseball fan). Is that the Warren Cromartie that is referenced on the blueprint or was there another Warren Cromartie? Along those lines, is there a Warren Cromartie Secondary School somewhere, possibly in Canada, or is the blueprint a mock-up? I figure the Warren Cromartie who played for the Montreal Expos would not have a school named after him. I mentioned the possibility of Canadians helping me in the subject since Rush is a Canadian band and Cromartie played for the Montreal Expos. Obviously, information from anyone is appreciated. :) Thanks in advance.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
As you mentioned, Rush were big fans of the Expos and a number of the players were fans of the band. Rush has always showed a sense of humour in their liner notes and they just extended it here to the back cover. They explicitly thank Cromartie and the Expos in the liner notes as well as assigning different baseball positions to the band members and crew.

Of course, it's entirely possible that there is a Warren Cromartie school in Canada somewhere, but I'm pretty confident is stating that there isn't and this was simply a nod towards their friend.

Note also that the Subdivision plan has one of the roads called "Line Drive" and is for the Borough of Shmeng (SCTV reference).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bob, thanks for the info. I never read the liner notes too closely, so I didn't see the reference to Cromartie. Also, I never knew that Rush were big Expos fans. Interesting. What a nice bit of trivia about an incredible band. I figured the blueprint was a mock-up, and I appreciate the sense of humor. :)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Yeah, it's definitely an inside joke. (Hell, just look at the cover!)

There are visual references on many covers to themselves, and I think it's Signals that has Dirk (Geddy's nickname), Lerxst (Alex's), and Pratt (Neil's) on it, too.

Can't wait to pick up Vapor Trails today and give that one a close look!

Dean M

Agent
Geddy has always been a huge baseball fan, hell, he still goes to Blue Jay games! Alex not as much (hockey). He didn't get season tickets until the early '90s.

Can't wait to pick up Vapor Trails today and give that one a close look!
Is very different from anything they have ever done but it rocks and is a CD to be played loud!

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Dean, the 'NP' in front of 'The Psychedelic Furs' stands for 'Now Playing'. Listing what music's playing as you surf is a trend that started up here a few months ago. So the Furs weren't part of the post, they were what Ange was listening to when he typed it.

I'd do it myself, except I never listen to music on the computer. But I will be listening to Vapor Trails on my ride home from Best Buy later this morn. I can't wait!

NP: Nothing

MichaelAW

Second Unit
For those dying to know, the new Rush album is brought to you by the letter:

Gotta love Rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks