What's new

WARNER: Bashki's Lord Of the Rings in P&S - A DISGRACE (1 Viewer)

Todd McF

Second Unit
Warner should display a little more integrity in its business practices.
The decision to ride the tailcoat of Jackson's LOTR and maximize market share with its Pan & Scan butchery is nothing short of pathetic.
Warner's current business practices are a disgrace to the heritage of a once great company and a betrayal to its artistic talent.

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
This is another title I would have purchased had it been widescreen (enhanced for 16X9 monitors, naturally). Another lost sale for Warner Brothers. I've never seen a studio work so hard at getting me to spend my money elsewhere.
-Jerry

CharlesD

Screenwriter
WARNER: Its very simple: All DVDs should include the movie.
i.e the image that was projected on the screen when the movie was shown theatrically. Not a pan & Scanned sub set of the movie or even a "open matte" version.
I won't buy DVDs that don't have the movie on them! Imagine that! So if the Neverending story comes out next month with 40% of the movie missing because its in Pan & Scan I WONT BUY IT just like I'm not going to buy Willy Wonka or LOTR.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
keywords: once-great company...
------------------
[Edited last by Mark_TS on August 09, 2001 at 01:22 PM]

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Mark - let's not forget a lot of their early stuff sucked big time too.
In particular, their early release of The Man With Two Brains (open matte+MONO!) is in dire need of 5.1 anamorphic W/S SE treatment.
So Warner: from zero to hero, and back to zero.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Another *SIGH* from me for the suggestion films with mono soundtracks need to be remixed for 5.1.....

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
In particular, their early release of The Man With Two Brains (open matte+MONO!) is in dire need of 5.1 anamorphic W/S SE treatment.
Why is it unnacceptable for the movie to have a modified aspect ratio, but desirable for it to have a modified sound mix?

John CW

Supporting Actor
YES! So long as the original is included too.
We are talking about an ENHANCEMENT here, not the REMOVAL image or framing.
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/fwwmfight

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Warner may throw us a bone and re-think their Willy Wonka release for widescreen, (only because of the ENORMOUS outrage on the net), but I don't think the lesson will sink in for other "family" titles, and I'm afraid we'll be stuck with P&S LOTR - well, I won't be, because I won't buy it. Unfortunately, I'm afraid everyone may be too tired to mount an offensive against this title they way we just did for WW, but maybe I'm wrong.

Todd McF

Second Unit
Well, hell will freeze over before I buy this. I've already got the P&S Thorn EMI VHS release. Also, my kid wont be allowed to see this violent film until he's at least 12 - and by then he will be demanding OAR.
Family film my ass - Legolas shoots arrows through the face of orcs at Helm Deep!

Lafe F

Second Unit
I'm speechless why Warner would mess up the aspect ratio of Lord of the Rings. What donut-head at Warner made that decision? I'm truly worried about The Neverending Story. And why hasn't any site on the net revealed cover art for Return of the King DVD? Is it really coming out?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am really hoping that the Willy Wonka fiasco will be the breaking point for ALL studio's, not just WB, to rethink this MAR'ed concept for all films. We need to constantly criticize studios that do not release product in its' OAR, and make them accountable by not purchasing a flawed product.
------------------
-Rodney
No MAR'ed Films, I want my OAR!
[Edited last by Rodney on August 10, 2001 at 04:01 PM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I'm afraid everyone may be too tired to mount an offensive against this title they way we just did for WW, but maybe I'm wrong.
See my post in this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/029107.html#14
For details and a link to that excellent website, check out the other thread. Thanks,
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
alli2icon.gif
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Why is it unnacceptable for the movie to have a modified aspect ratio, but desirable for it to have a modified sound mix?
Before you get on your high horses (too late!
tongue.gif
), I saw The Man With Two Brains on TV, broadcast in W/S, and it most definitely had a surround sound track. This is NOT a mono movie!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
YES! So long as the original is included too.
We are talking about an ENHANCEMENT here, not the REMOVAL image or framing.
I hate to bring the thread too far off course, but the reason that pan-and-scan exists is that most people think that altering the image to fill their screen IS an enhancement! How does this differ from altering the sound to fill your speakers?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, LotR should have both versions.
MATTED VERSION: Formatted to fit your 16x9 screen.
OPEN MATTE VERSION: Formatted to fit your 4x3 screen.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Ya gotta remember that WANKER BROS. is now a huge, multi-faceted conglomerate, answerable only to the boys upstairs, and now run by pencil pushers and accountants.
Heck, Time-Warner-AOL-AT&TCable *might* even be the dreaded, multi-tentacled 'AntiChrist' as is warned about in the Bible.... ;-)
Jack Warner likely is rolling over in his grave...
* they also now own a list of large regional companies, ISPs Cable systems etc...
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks