What's new

new reciever (1 Viewer)

onavi

Auditioning
This is my first post here. You guys have a great forum here. Lot of good reading. I'm looking for a new reciever for my new home theater. I have 6 in the wall JBL speakers. I think they are 90watts each. 4 of them are in the family room and two are in the living room. I'm looking for a reciver to handle them. I have been to two local stores and they both have directed me to the Yamaha RX-V2200. I know I have to use my older Yamaha that I have now for the two speakers in the living room so that I can listen to two different sources at once. Would the Yamaha be a good choice? I can get it for 850 from an authorized dealer. Seems to be a good price since the GoodGuys and a local place sell it for 1k. Would there be a better choice out there? thanks for you time

Noah

Agent
I bought the 2200 two weeks ago and am still breaking it in. From what I have heard so far, it is a fantastic receiver with many attributes. It is very clean and transparent in this price class, especially with revealing speakers (I am using B&W 600 series 3). I had JBL Studio series before and I had auditioned the RXV-1200 with those. The Yamaha seemed to take some of the harsh bite out of my JBL's, much better than the Denon 1801 I was using. If the power rating of your speakers is indeed 90 watts, you might consider the 1200 instead (retail of $799). It is VERY similar to the 2200 with 80 watts instead of 100 and no zone 2 video. Minor changes, and you dont want to overdrive your speakers. My advice is to check the power rating, check the sensitivity if you can (lower number requires more power) and choose between the two--you won't be disappointed.

Noah

onavi

Auditioning
But doesnt the 1200 only output the same source? I want to be able to watch a movie in the one room, while my wife listens to a CD in the living room. It's that the added difference between the 1200 and 2200. Also would the extra 10 watts bust the speakers? the speakers I bought are FM82.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
The extra power will "not" harm your speakers
Under powered "clipping" will. It is best to have reserve power when possible.
Power ratings on speakers are confusing, but generally they are "minimum power". That is the amp should have "at least" the power rating or they will be "underpowered"
I suggest the Sherwood Newcastle R-863 or R-756.
Both are 100 wpc with one being 7.1 and the other 5.1.
http://www.sherwoodusa.com/newcastle/rec_fm2.htm
John Casler

onavi

Auditioning
hmmm . . . . I was just thinking, I know the speakers they are going to install aren't made by JBL anymore. At least they aren't listed. I'm wondering if I should wait to see what speakers I really get. I wonder if they would put in the HTI8?? and those are 120 watts each, so than the Yamaha or the Sherwood are only 100 watts. Maybe I should wait on this one.

Edit:

Is this something that isnt hard to set up? or should I have someone install/hook up everything.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I believe you can get dual-zone receivers for less than $850, the Onkyo SR700 would be a good example of such. If you feel like spending in that range I can recommend the Sony DA5ES which can be had for under $800 from authorized dealers. The DA5ES has the benefit of actually having 3 zones; Zone2 is unpowered and has composite video out, Zone3 is powered, so you don't need a separate receiver/amplifier for it. I do not know if you can use zone3 and all 6 zone1 amplifiers at the same time, but there was nothing in the manual to suggest that you can't.

I am not in a position to comment on the sound quality of the DA5ES vs. the V2200, however, so I'll have to leave that up to you.

Good Luck,

-- Dave

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
As a new owner of the RX-V2200 I can say that it's a pretty sweet sounding receiver. It has plenty of power to drive all but the most demanding of speakers. And in general, more power is better, as long as it's clean which the Yammie is at 0.04% THD.

I can tell you that Yamaha makes a very reliable product. This to me is an important "feature" and is worth pointing out.

Other then that you'll have to see which receiver sounds best to you. What sounds good to me may sound bad to you.

- Mike

I can give my opinion of the Sony da5es vs. the Yamaha rx-v2200- I bought the Sony first (to replace an Onkyo 575x) and found it extremely bright and shrill on music, good on HT. Surprisingly, when I tried the Yamaha in my system, it sounded much more full and neutral, not warm, but definitely not bright. And slightly flawed as the Yamaha remote may be (lack of backlighting), it is MUCH better than the ergonomic nightmare that ships with the da5es. The Yamaha was easier to set up, too, although I would like more crossover flexibility (the da5es has the most I've seen). Oh yeah, I have a few Sony components and hoped the da5es would make it easier to use them through that proprietary Sony connection- it sucked, flat-out. I returned the Sony- I couldn't keep a receiver that NEEDED an external amp to sound even passable with music.

onavi

Auditioning
oh my, I am so confused on all of this stuff! as you can tell, I'm new at all of this. I haven't bought anything like this in like 13 years or so. I bought an Onkyo system 13 years ago, but we were robbed, and they replaced the system with a Yamaha, the one we currently have. Tommorrow the speakers are being installed and if I can get into the house, I'll see what speakers I get and see what the wattage they say on them. I'm so lost on this stuff. Least I know that I am going to buy a Sony Wega 36 or 40 in XBR. Not sure if I wanna wait till the new model comes out or not.

Would it be better if I just get an amp to use with the new reciever or use my old Yamaha for other speakers in the other room? I'm thinking if I want to put speakers outside, I would need an amp instead.

One other thing, what would be something to tell my wife about a subwoofer and a center speaker, to try to get her to let me get these as well. She hates when she hears cars that have the boom boom from them and doesn't want the family room to sound like that.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
onavi,
I take it this system will be primarily for home theater, correct? In that case a front center channel is rather important. A subwoofer is also pretty important for movie watching, less so for music. I'd recommend both. As for your wife's dislike for boom cars well, just tell her it's a totally different thing in home theater. It'll make it sound like it does in the theater. They have subs there as well and it doesn't sound anything like those boom cars now does it? :)
- Mike

onavi

Auditioning
It will be used for probably both home theator and for music. It will get used for more music than anything. thats why she has the speakers in the other room. i'll have to talk her into it.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
The RX-V1200 can output a different source to zone 2, but only analog sources can be output to the remote amp in zone 2. So the analog connnections to your sources must be hooked up as well as any digital ones you have.

All the Yamaha users manuals are available for download from the their website, a great way to find out what it really can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks