What's new

Warner: My Fellow Americans (1 Viewer)

John Torrez

Second Unit
Please, please reissue this gem of a movie starring James Garner and the late Jack Lemmon. The current dvd is Full-Screen only and I will only buy this movie when it's released in widescreen and anamorphic. Thank you.
------------------
"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
Yeah I love political comedies but shyed away from it for the reasons you mentioned.
frown.gif

------------------
jsb.jpg-thumb_122_91.jpg

Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this movie. Just thinking about some of the scenes makes me laugh, especially the ones that show Lemmon's character as being so cheap.
I to have held off buying this one, but I would get it in a minute if it was released in a better package.
------------------

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got the laserdisc because it's widescreen- this was just another thing to fan the flames of hatred toward DVD amongst the laserdisc community way back when.
"This film has not been modified from its original version. It has not been formatted to fit your screen."

Jodee

Screenwriter
"You know what gives me the red ass?"
When studios issue DVDs in pan & scan only!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I would buy a copy of My Fellow Americans if released in anamorphic widescreen.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I actually picked up "My Fellow Americans" - bought 'under protest' sort-of - as a Christmas present for my wife last year. She loves the film and wanted it despite the non-widescreen version. So I bit the bullet and bought it for her as a stocking stuffer. Since we originally saw the film in the theatres, she regretted the Pan-And-Scan instantly. I told her so, eh?
We would re-purchase this DVD in a heartbeat in even a plain-jane widescreen edition!
I have held off of a number of other Warner "family comedy" titles due to non-widescreen versions. The Grumpy Old Men films, the entire Vacation series (is this really "family comedy, with the nude scenes and all?), Private Benjamin, and both editions of Space Jam come to mind. I'd pick up all of these very quickly in widescreen anamorphic editions.
Similarly, I am waiting on non-flipper special editions of Gone With The Wind, The Right Stuff, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.
I wish Warner would get off the stick and get all of these popular titles re-produced in discs we'll be proud to add to our collections. If they feel that the "family" titles must be "Standard-friendly", then I hope they will put both formats on the re-releases. So many of us insist on only widescreen versions, they are shooting themselves in the foot when they do fullscreen-only (like on Space Jam).
My 3-year-old is watching "Turbo Power Rangers" from Fox in anamorphic widescreen right this second. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it! :)
DAVE/Memphis

rhett

Supporting Actor
I think Warner and Universal should really take a look at all the Full Frame schlock they released in the early days of DVD and reissue them in anamorphic widescreen. There are some really great films in there, like The Sting and Happy Gilmore!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

Jodee

Screenwriter
Waiting on a non-flipper version of Gone With the Wind?
You do realize that is is a four-hour long movie with a built-in intermission, right?
I hate flippers too but in cases of epic movies where not even the directors intended it to be watched in one straight viewing I think a simple flip of the disc is fine.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
...but in cases of epic movies where not even the directors intended it to be watched in one straight viewing...
Yeah, I guess that's what Victor Fleming was thinking back in the 30's: "Hey, I can make this film extra-long and people will buy tickets to the theatre twice, once for each 2-hour portion of the movie! AND, in about half a century it won't matter, due to the magic of home video...it's coming, I swear it!" :)
I don't think you said what you meant?...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
alli2icon.gif
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

Jodee

Screenwriter
David,
I said what I meant. Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant? :)
To elaborate, an epic-length motion picture that has a built-in intermission a la Gone With the Wind...the director obviously doesn't intend for the film to be watched in one straight viewing, hence the built-in intermission. When the audience was allowed to get up, stretch their feet, grab refreshments, and relieve themselves.
Obviously these films weren't designed to be watched in one straight sitting. Hence the forced intermisison. Which is why I don't object to flipping the disc as long as it corresponds to the film's Intermission.
What I do object to, is flippers for films that did not have said Intermission, such as The Right Stuff. Any disc break is obviously disruptive and the viewer was supposed to watch it straight through without a break.
I believe that's what I said before, only much less wordier :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I understand now what you meant. I didn't see that you were referring to the intermission, but now I do see that. Thanks for clearing that up.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
alli2icon.gif
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

John Torrez

Second Unit
Guys, let's please keep this on topic. I didn't start this thread to discuss the running time of Gone With The Wind.
------------------
"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks