-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Warner: My Fellow Americans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 John Torrez

John Torrez

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 03:06 PM

Please, please reissue this gem of a movie starring James Garner and the late Jack Lemmon. The current dvd is Full-Screen only and I will only buy this movie when it's released in widescreen and anamorphic. Thank you.

------------------
"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

#2 of 16 Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 05:09 PM

Yeah I love political comedies but shyed away from it for the reasons you mentioned. Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
Jay and Silent Bob in
CLERKS

"We make it hard...the easy way."

Funniest line I have ever read in DVD a review: "'The Simple Life' stars rich, spoiled friends Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie as two rich, spoiled friends who are taken out of their posh Los Angeles lifestyle and deposited in a small town in Arkansas..."

#3 of 16 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 05:30 PM

I really enjoyed this movie. Just thinking about some of the scenes makes me laugh, especially the ones that show Lemmon's character as being so cheap.

I to have held off buying this one, but I would get it in a minute if it was released in a better package.

------------------

#4 of 16 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,001 posts

Posted August 01 2001 - 10:29 PM

I got the laserdisc because it's widescreen- this was just another thing to fan the flames of hatred toward DVD amongst the laserdisc community way back when.

"This film has not been modified from its original version. It has not been formatted to fit your screen."
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#5 of 16 John Torrez

John Torrez

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted August 03 2001 - 03:31 PM

I need more support!

------------------

#6 of 16 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 03 2001 - 03:34 PM

"You know what gives me the red ass?"

When studios issue DVDs in pan & scan only!

#7 of 16 Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 03 2001 - 07:15 PM

I would buy a copy of My Fellow Americans if released in anamorphic widescreen.

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#8 of 16 Chris Kr

Chris Kr

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted August 04 2001 - 10:12 AM

I also haven't bought this title because of its full screen presentation.

#9 of 16 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 04 2001 - 11:53 PM

I actually picked up "My Fellow Americans" - bought 'under protest' sort-of - as a Christmas present for my wife last year. She loves the film and wanted it despite the non-widescreen version. So I bit the bullet and bought it for her as a stocking stuffer. Since we originally saw the film in the theatres, she regretted the Pan-And-Scan instantly. I told her so, eh?

We would re-purchase this DVD in a heartbeat in even a plain-jane widescreen edition!

I have held off of a number of other Warner "family comedy" titles due to non-widescreen versions. The Grumpy Old Men films, the entire Vacation series (is this really "family comedy, with the nude scenes and all?), Private Benjamin, and both editions of Space Jam come to mind. I'd pick up all of these very quickly in widescreen anamorphic editions.

Similarly, I am waiting on non-flipper special editions of Gone With The Wind, The Right Stuff, and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

I wish Warner would get off the stick and get all of these popular titles re-produced in discs we'll be proud to add to our collections. If they feel that the "family" titles must be "Standard-friendly", then I hope they will put both formats on the re-releases. So many of us insist on only widescreen versions, they are shooting themselves in the foot when they do fullscreen-only (like on Space Jam).

My 3-year-old is watching "Turbo Power Rangers" from Fox in anamorphic widescreen right this second. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it! Posted Image

DAVE/Memphis
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#10 of 16 rhett

rhett

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted August 05 2001 - 11:29 AM

I think Warner and Universal should really take a look at all the Full Frame schlock they released in the early days of DVD and reissue them in anamorphic widescreen. There are some really great films in there, like The Sting and Happy Gilmore! Posted Image

------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

"The Night HE Came Home"

#11 of 16 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 05 2001 - 03:08 PM

Waiting on a non-flipper version of Gone With the Wind?

You do realize that is is a four-hour long movie with a built-in intermission, right?

I hate flippers too but in cases of epic movies where not even the directors intended it to be watched in one straight viewing I think a simple flip of the disc is fine.

#12 of 16 John Torrez

John Torrez

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 05:37 AM

Any other fans here?

------------------

#13 of 16 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 12:25 PM

Quote:
Waiting on a non-flipper version of Gone With the Wind? You do realize that is is a four-hour long movie with a built-in intermission, right?

The running time on Gone With The Wind is 234 minutes per the IMDB...3 hours 54 minutes. Per the DVD FAQ, an RSDL disc holds "about 4 hours" of video. It _could_ fit. But...

...I hardly think that the bit rate to squeeze that onto 1 platter is going to be the quality we want. Posted Image So, I'm looking forward to a 2-disc treatment a la Ten Commandments or Godfather Part 2, with supplements taking up the extra room on the 2nd disc. Those of us with carousels are more plentiful than those with units that flip the disc for you, and the existing DVD is thin on extras.

I think a new edition is about due, don't you? Wizard of Oz is a nicer item from the same year!

Quote:
...but in cases of epic movies where not even the directors intended it to be watched in one straight viewing...

Yeah, I guess that's what Victor Fleming was thinking back in the 30's: "Hey, I can make this film extra-long and people will buy tickets to the theatre twice, once for each 2-hour portion of the movie! AND, in about half a century it won't matter, due to the magic of home video...it's coming, I swear it!" Posted Image

I don't think you said what you meant?...

------------------
DAVE/Memphis

Posted Image"When you grow up, your heart dies."

DAVE/Memphis, TN

#14 of 16 Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 06:04 PM

David,

I said what I meant. Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant? Posted Image

To elaborate, an epic-length motion picture that has a built-in intermission a la Gone With the Wind...the director obviously doesn't intend for the film to be watched in one straight viewing, hence the built-in intermission. When the audience was allowed to get up, stretch their feet, grab refreshments, and relieve themselves.

Obviously these films weren't designed to be watched in one straight sitting. Hence the forced intermisison. Which is why I don't object to flipping the disc as long as it corresponds to the film's Intermission.

What I do object to, is flippers for films that did not have said Intermission, such as The Right Stuff. Any disc break is obviously disruptive and the viewer was supposed to watch it straight through without a break.

I believe that's what I said before, only much less wordier Posted Image

#15 of 16 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 07 2001 - 10:39 PM

Okay, I understand now what you meant. I didn't see that you were referring to the intermission, but now I do see that. Thanks for clearing that up.

------------------
DAVE/Memphis

Posted Image"When you grow up, your heart dies."

DAVE/Memphis, TN

#16 of 16 John Torrez

John Torrez

Second Unit

• 314 posts

Posted August 08 2001 - 04:44 AM

Guys, let's please keep this on topic. I didn't start this thread to discuss the running time of Gone With The Wind.

------------------

Forum Nav Content I Follow