What's new

Snow Dogs Will it be Released in W-I-D-E S-C-R-E-E-N (1 Viewer)

M

MaxY

I have decided on this title to just wait until it shows up on HBO or Showtime and then I will see it in at least 1:78 on HBO and in OAR on Showtime by watching the HD feeds of those channels.

Max

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
The start of an ugly Disney trend...

I'd be happy since it's a title I'm not interested in, but I know it's just a matter of time.

Poor Cuba Gooding Jr. From Oscar winner to panned-and-scanned in a few short years.

Chris M

Second Unit
I won't let my girlfriend get this for her daughter. PERIOD since it's not OAR.

Chris.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I would wait for HBO or Showtime HD too, but don't Disney titles go to Starz? If so, the only shot for HD would be ABC. Assuming they would even show it HD-OAR, we'll still be in for quite a wait. :frowning:

M

MaxY

I did not know that Disney Titles went to Starz. I guess I never really checked on that.

I guess I could hope that the long rumored C-Band Sat dish HD version of Starz happens before it airs then.

Max

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Also I will not let my wife buy it with our spending money. If she wants it, she has to fork her own money down for it.

On a similar note, we went to Best Buy last weekend to use up some gift cards... we had enough for 2 movies each.

I pick out Dances with Wolves DTS and 2010 (it was marked down to $10).

Then she brings me her selections.

Men In Black- she didn't pick the DTS version. I question her on it, and she says she "wasn't aware of the difference." So I walk her over to the MIB DVDs. There was a DTS copy as well, but it was $10 more than the DD! So I told her normally she should get DTS, but in this case, forget about it.

Princess Diaries- she hands it to me and I dont think much about it. She walks over to the CD section. Upon closer inspection, I find that it is the P&S version. So, I walk over to her and bring her the version that she gave me, and the WS version. I tell her: "this is one that you handed to me. now, this is the one that we will be buying (a different copy). do you know why we wont be purchasing the one you picked out?"

She says "no."

So, very calmly and in a loving manner, I say "because, honey, this is a Pan and Scam version."

She says "fine. whatever. but I'd rather have the one without the black bars."

Ugh... I'm trying to fight the good fight here. Sometimes it works and I feel like I am getting through to her. But, then we have moments like this.

Anyone want to help out?

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I want to get Snow Dogs, I must stick to principle and hold off on this purchase. I'll also look for it on HBO.

Steven K, funny post. There was a thread a while back comparing MIB DTS with DD. Many thought the DD was just as good as DTS. I have the DD version and the sound is excellent.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I thought the movie was awful, but was going to pick it up on DVD anyway to add it to the James Coburn collection. However, that was before the horrible pan&scan trend was revealed. Thanks Disney, you saved me some money :laugh:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Everyone who hasn't already called be sure to call (and email) Disney and let them know just how much you hate P/S and how much you love 16x9 WS (see below)

-dave

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I saw this movie in the theater and enjoyed it (having taken an Alaska cruise last summer was a major reason for this). The scenery in this movie is beautiful. Pan & scanning it would ruin that for me.
My wife wants me to get a copy when it comes out. I'll have to explain to her that it's butchered, and in our case it'll ADD black bars, to the SIDES of my 16:9 TV! :eek:
I don't recall the AR of this movie, and IMDB doesn't say. Was it 1.85 or 2.35?
KJP

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I tell my wife all excited that her favorite show The X-Files will be on Widescreen starting with season 5. She says "well, you know how I feel about that...I understand that it is the way is supposed to be but the picture is smaller."

She really doesn't care about OAR and that's the way most people feel.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
... I'm trying to fight the good fight here. Sometimes it works and I feel like I am getting through to her. But, then we have moments like this.
First, say "honey,I love you and I am sorry for what I said."

Second, buy her some flowers and take her out to dinner....

Lastly, after returning home from dinner and cracking open a nice bottle of wine, sit down and pop in both the Director's Featurette on Star Trek 4 fast forwarding about 12 minutes in, and then show her the "Why Letterbox" feature on Die Hard 5Star.

If she still does not get it, then you can always turn off the TV, have more wine and head upstairs for a nightcap.

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
We have 2 siberian huskies and my kids are 6 and 8 year's old. You're asking a lot for me to hold out :)
How's this for a compromise? I'll rent it on DVD and put in on VHS?

M

MaxY

Steve,

Just buy a widescreen set, even if it means going into debt bigtime, It might save you in alimony payments.

That way to her Fullscreen will be Widescreen.

Max

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I noticed Disney has been advertising this release pretty heavily on TV the last week or so. They're obviously hoping for big sales. Lets hope they don't materialize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks