What's new

Swamp Thing Recalled: MGM Withdraws Support for Adrienne Barbeau's Bodacious Ta Ta's! (1 Viewer)

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
DVDfile.com is reporting that MGM is recalling the DVD of "Swamp Thing" because a P.O.'d mother discovered a little more of Adrienne Barbeau than she expected when renting the DVD from a Dallas area Blockbuster video.
Here's the link: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#05072002
Proving that sometimes you can't tell a book by its cover, Dallas, Texas mother of two Mary Dorflinger was not happy when she picked up a copy of MGM's recent DVD release of the 1982 comic book adaptation Swamp Thing at her local Blockbuster and got more than she bargained for. Though labeled "Rated PG" on the packaging, the disc in fact contains only the unrated, International version of the film which features considerably more nudity and sexual content. Although numerous sites, including this one, already reported on the mislabeling of the disc (see our Cut List for more) MGM either remained unaware or nonresponsive to the issue. So, Dorflinger saw green and went on a crusade...
Now, even after Blockbuster has already removed the title from its shelves, MGM has officially recalled the Swamp Thing DVD until further notice. No word on whether they will reissue the disc with updated packaging to reflect the disc's actual content, repress it with the original PG-rated theatrical version, or simply discontinue the disc completely. Who knew Adrienne Barbeau's, er, ample assets could cause so much trouble? Stay tuned, and in any case, anyone already owning the title likely has a collector's item on their hands!"
Go out and pick up your copy without delay, especially for an average retail price around $10 just in case MGM does something rash and never releases it again (though an anamorphic transfer of the Internationl cut released as an S.E. would be very nice).
The disc is already off the shelves of the local Blockbuster and Wherehouse music stores here in Austin, TX. Circuit City still had several copies (not after I left however), and the clerk I talked to was unaware of the recall. I called the local Barnes and Noble which still had at least two copies.
Several e-tailers I surfed had already removed the disc from availability.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
They'll probably just repress it with "Unrated" on the cover.

As far as I know, the only trouble they could be in is improper use of the MPAA's 'PG' rating, when the film has no such certificate.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Do they sell these at 'Target'?
What "Bodacious Ta Ta's" or "Swamp Thing" DVDs? :D
Target sells MGM discs, so they could possibly have it. Call the Targets around your town and check and see. I'm sending the three I bought earlier today out as birthday and Christmas gifts this year. :cool:

M

MaxY

I remember buying this one when it first came out and watching it and thinking, hey I thought it said PG on the cover. Checking it and seeing it did say PG then wondering how the heck that was PG.

I then read about it being the unrated version online. I have heard that MGM has put unrated versions on DVD marked with the theatrical releases rating with some other DVDs as well, though I believe those were R to begin with so I guess it would not really be that much of a big deal.

Max

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Regardless of what the rating was on the box, the mother should still have known beforehand about the film itself.

If she is afraid that her precious angel may see a pair of breast, I hate to see how she will be when her child really takes notice of breast.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Regardless of what the rating was on the box, the mother should still have known beforehand about the film itself.
I don't think it's fair to expect this from the comsumers, and to an extent I can understand the mother. She bought a product that was labeled PG, and I think she should be promised a presentation that reflected that rating. However, I do think this specific incident is a little extreme though. But in the end MGM made the stink, they could've just replaced the PG logo on further pressings with the UNRATED logo, which is what I hope they will now do.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
PG means "Parental Guidance." If a parent has no idea what's on the disk, that alone should be enough information for them to decide that they need to familiarize themselves with it before their child sees it, or watch it with their child. I'm probably overreacting to all of this a little, but I'm really kind of sick of parents plopping little Giorgio and Juliette down in front of the TV, sticking something "PG" in the player and expecting everything to come out all right.
You gave birth to it, lady. Now raise it.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
MGM is usually pretty accurate on the rating of the titles they release. For example, "Liebestraum" on DVD is the R Rated version where as the LD was an unrated director's cut version.
I also know that the cut of "Dogs of War" on DVD is the longer cut for foreign markets, but I'm unclear as to whether it should be rated R as is listed on the box or unrated as it was apparently not released here in the US before the DVD version came out.
MGM has also put out product with differing lengths running times on the same disc between widescreen and P&S versions on the same disc; i.e. Force 10 From Navarone has a shorter cut on the Pan and Scam side and a longer cut on the letterboxed side (imagine the uproar from this forum if the ruinning time of the letterbox side was the shorter of the two).
I've watched the DVD of the "unrated cut" of Swamp thing many times since it came out on DVD (well at least short portions of it anyway :) ). It's pretty tame considering what many PG-13 films get away with today, and an R rating would probably have been appropriate if this were the version originally released in theaters. That said, I feel MGM is really going the extra mile here to quell the gripes of one customer who IMO inappropriately chose the material for her children to watch. It's a horror film from Wes Craven for Crist's sake. MGM simply didn't realize they were putting out the international version, and were probably doing there best to utilize a print that was in the best shape possible (as was Adrienne Barbeau's) for the transfer.
Further, I feel that anyone who takes this movie and A.B.'s cleavage too seriously may be suffing from an acute case breast envy :D .

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I don't think it's fair to expect this from the comsumers, and to an extent I can understand the mother. She bought a product that was labeled PG, and I think she should be promised a presentation that reflected that rating. QUOTE]

HenrikTull

Are you sure that you aren't here in the states. That is normally what I expect out of the general population here.

PG means "Parental Guidance." If a parent has no idea what's on the disk, that alone should be enough information for them to decide that they need to familiarize themselves with it before their child sees it, or watch it with their child. I'm probably overreacting to all of this a little, but I'm really kind of sick of parents plopping little Giorgio and Juliette down in front of the TV, sticking something "PG" in the player and expecting everything to come out all right.

Thank Goodness someone else feels that way.

Just last week I took my boss and her son to see Jason X. He is 8 and has watched, thanks to me, the other films in the series. His mother doesn't think that anything is wrong with an ounce of violence in the films, yet, when it came to the breast in the film, her hand flew over his eyes.

It is because of this approach to sex that America has the problems that it does in regard to sex crimes. If they stop presenting sex, in this case basic nudity, as something shameful and wrong, we might not have some of the Ted Bundy's and Dahmer's that we have had.

I wish that I knew this lady that is resposible for this to tell her how stupid and foolish and in the long run how wrong she is for the mixed messages that she will be sending.

Though I never have had interest in this title, I just might now out of support.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What pisses me off is that one woman can get a dvd pulled because it's got the wrong rating on the label, but thousands of us together can't get a completely marred p&s disc pulled. :frowning:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of "Bodacious Ta-Ta's", when's THAT movie coming out on DVD? It's an absolute classic and one of the few reasons to keep my VHS hooked up- the scene where Ron Jeremy discusses the "big bang theory" is priceless!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
........umm..anyone have a screen grab of this..umm..offensive scene so I can avoid it..umm..in the future?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
She just assumed that the version on the dvd was the same version she saw on tape in the 80's, since they were both rated PG.
Here's the article from the Dallas Morning News, no registration required.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Well, my earlier blown gasket aside, I stopped in at Circuit City on the way home and plucked from their grasp the very last copy they had. Funny thing is, there was a couple there ahead of me sort of pawing through the disks like they were looking for something very specific and not finding it. Needless to say, I didn't hold it up and say, "Was this what you were looking for?" :D
So, now that I'm invested in this, I'm gonna be really p.o.'d if it turns out to be a hoax.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
"We'll set the DVD versions aside while we work with the MPAA [Motion Picture Association of America] on the rating," she said. "We've placed the picture on moratorium, and we don't plan to make any future copies available until we can rectify the problem."
"It's going to be corrected. The version that this customer used will not be out there with the PG label."
This will add to the value of the misprinted/rated DVDs, as a PG version my not ever exist on DVD in Region 1.
I seriosly doubt that MGM will go back to create a new transfer much less and S.E., as this title will never be a top seller, and creating anamorphic digital tranfers and S.E.s costs a lot more than the minimal costs of having a film rated by the MPAA.
The S.E. idea is simply a "bodacious" pipe dream.
Don't worry though fearless forum members, stay tuned to this thread to keep abreast of the situation. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Here we are with the same old story. Ok for the kids to watch immoral characters ,shootings,gruesome deaths,and horrible mutations but not breasts.

The Bride has frontal female nudity and its PG, Dragonslayer has blood and grotesque flesh eating and its not R rated.What about Doc Hollywood and so on.... I saw a movie once during the day on HBO I couldnt believe with a woman swimming in slow motion topless.The scene lasted for about 2 minutes.I looked it up and sure enough it was PG.

I agree 1000% percent with parents have to supervise what their kids watch if theyre concerned and not rely on rating s or anyting else.My g/f has 2 kids and doesnt mind them watching R movies even, as long as she checks it out first.I'll never forget after the Beavis and Butthead fiasco all I could think of is "Why is a 4 year old watching Beavis and Butthead?"

Nowadays there are also plenty of websites out there that list "offensive material" in movies,DVDs and videos for parents.

BTW, I found a copy at Suncoast in the "Under $15 shelf". I went by 2 Best Buys,FYE,Circuit City and Media Play and only found this one. This was released last year and I had no idea if was diferrent from the older versions.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I struck out. If anybody can help me out with a copy, drop me a message.

I really do buy all comic-book-based DVDs, I just hadn't gotten around to this one yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks