What's new

Would anyone go for seaon sets of Night Court? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I was a big fan of this show during its original run, and I still like to catch the reruns when I can. I would probably buy reasonably-priced season box sets of the show if they were released.
Just to make something clear: I have heard nothing about this; I think the whole NBC 75th anniversary thing is what made me think about it. Also, the show is owned by Warner, I believe, but now that they've taken the plunge with the Friends set, maybe they'd be willing to look into other series. Night Court was a pretty popular show in its day; it ran for nine seasons, I think. Would anyone else be interested in buying sets of this, or am I even more of a geek than I thought? :rolleyes::D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I would absolutely adore season sets of this series.
Not only does it stand on it's own merits (and there are many of them, from the hilarious characters to the sex appeal of Markie Post to the multiple-Emmy wins of John Laroquette (sic?).
Not only that, but it appeals to fans of Cheers by way of Harry Anderson's huckster character that appeared in the bar from time to time.
Also it appeals to Star Trek fans, due to Brent "Data" Spiner's appearances in the court (the first time with a separate appearance by none other than Michael J. Fox!).
Also appeals to fans of Gomez Addams, with John Astin's appearances as Harry's dad ("but I'm feeling MUCH better now!").
Also it appeals to fans of rocker Meat Loaf, since Markie's character was preceded by another blond Public Defender, played by a post-Rock career Ellen Foley!
Not to mention that the show was friggin' hilarious from top to bottom, from beginning to end. Must-See TV-on-DVD!
Vote!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm with you! I discovered this show a few years ago on an old video tape recorded off TV and I loved it.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I tried to watch this a few times but it was either the same episode over and over or the same plot: some psycho holds the court at gunpoint until they can talk him down.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, I might wait until they hit the Markie Post shows (:)), but after that, they've definitely got a sale.
Regards,
Joe

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutly, one of the funniest shows ever created! John Larroquette used to kill me on a weekly basis, probably because I identified with him so much, he was a horny bastard, and so was I! :)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I have been dying for Night Court on DVD. I would assume A&E owns the rights, as it is shown exclusively on that network. We've seen what they can do with The Avengers, The Prisoner, and others....we should try and contact them, and see if they do own the rights. If Warner owns the rights, screw it, we might as well tape it off A&E every day. Oh, and Shane, I agree that they used the "guy takes the courtrooom hostage" plot WAAAY too many times, but there are plenty of great episodes where they thankfully didn't....keep giving it a try.

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes, I'd buy all these on DVD in a heart beat. We've still got most of them on wearing out VHS tape from it's original syndicated run, and some from it's first run. We'd watch these often.

BTW, Markie Post was in it starting in the second season. Only the first season was somewhat different (and more serious).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
BTW, Markie Post was in it starting in the second season.
Actually, she came in in the third season, I think. At least, that's when she became a regular. The pilot had a different defense attorney, the rest of the first season, it was Paula Kelly, then the second season Ellen Foley. Then Christine showed up.
Good to see I'm not the only one who would like to see this on DVD :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I too would love to have all the Night Court episodes. That show along with cheers are my favorites.

Though I would doing cartwheels around the block If I could get the first season of men behaving badly on dvd. Funniest show I have ever seen!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If Warner owns the rights, screw it, we might as well tape it off A&E every day.
I find that an odd comment to see posted on the very day the Friends: Complete First Season set is officially released. That looks like a pretty respectable set.*
Doug Wadleigh (Warner Home Video) has made several very promising comments on TV shows on DVD in the past few months, and it looks like we'll (finally) be seeing the first Babylon 5 boxed set sometime in the fall. Granted they don't seem to have seen the light of day with regard to Southpark yet, but give them time. Studios, like people, have their fixed ideas and prejudices, and it takes time and massive amounts of evidence to change their minds. Doesn't anybody else remember when half the major studios in Hollywood refused to release films on DVD at all, or when Fox and Disney didn't release anamorphic widescreen discs as a matter of policy? The marketplace will eventually make it clear to Warner Bros. which kind of TV release sells and which doesn't. And they'll come around.
Regards,
Joe
* (And speaking of Markie Post :D):
99579markienc.jpg

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
You know, sorry, this is my first post to this site, and I hate for it to be mean-spirited in any way, but to think that if so many people would apparently hate me for loving Family Guy, I have to feel the same about Night Court.

What is the big deal with this show? I agree with the one poster who said it was the same episode, same plot line over and over.

Anderson was great doing standup and his magic act. As an actor, though....well, actually, that can be said of most standups.

I'd rather see News Radio or the original Batman series before this one. WAYYY before this one.

Okay, flame me for liking Family Guy.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As far as when which public defender showed up when, I'll not that this series kicked off on January 4, 1984, per the IMDB, and that they list the cast this way:
Cast overview, first billed only:
Harry Anderson (I) .... Judge Harold T. 'Harry' Stone
Gail Strickland .... Public Defender Sheila Gardner (pilot)
Paula Kelly (I) .... Public Defender Liz Williams (1984)
Ellen Foley .... Public Defender Billie Young (1984-1985)
Markie Post .... Public Defender Christine Sullivan Giuliano (1985-1992)
John Larroquette .... Assistant District Attorney Reinhold 'Dan' Feilding
Karen Austin (I) .... Court Clerk Lana Wagner (1984)
Charles Robinson (I) .... Court Clerk Macintosh 'Mac' Robinson (1984-1992)
Richard Moll .... Bailiff Nostradamus 'Bull' Shannon
Selma Diamond .... Bailiff Selma Hacker (1984-1985)
Florence Halop .... Bailiff Florence Kleiner (1985-1986)
Marsha Warfield .... Bailiff Rozalind 'Roz' Russell (1986-1992)
So that ought to settle the matter of when Markie showed up, eh? And speaking of her respectable set... :b
[c]
markie12.jpg
[/c]
Welcome to the Forum, Lee! Family Guy is just fine, too!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Okay, flame me for liking Family Guy.
So how did a guy with one post manage to get flamed for liking Family Guy?. :) Did that happen on this forum?
Personally I never liked Family Guy, just not my kind of humor. (Although I did like Stewie.) That's a matter of personal taste, not a judgement about the quality of the show. It isn't the kind of thing that happens to make me laugh.
But I would never go out of my way to post to a pro-Family Guy thread saying that I didn't like the show and listing other shows that I'd rather see on DVD. What's the point of that? It's like showing up at a Beatles fan club meeting with a big "Beatles suck!" banner. I'm obviously not going to change anybody's mind, I'm not advancing the cause of whatever band I prefer - all I'm really doing is insulting and pissing off a room full of strangers for no particular reason.
I see threads all the time asking "When's such-and-such coming to DVD" where my first reaction is "Why was that film ever made in the first place?", but I neither read the threads nor post my opinion to them.
Just my two cents.
Joe
P.S.
Dave:
I see your collage and raise you. :):
99577markie1.jpg

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I'd love this set as well...the series that is...;)
Just picked up the Mini-Series 10th Kingdom and enjoy that as well...
Another one that would be great is Barney Miller...excellent writing and acting on that one!
G2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks