What's new

Your thoughts on the original Men in Black... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I was skipping through channels tonight and watched a lot of this one for the second time.
I realize it's a really popular movie and I'm not fishing for arguments, but...
This movie is really stupid.
Will Smith's schtick earns a few laughs, Jones is good in several spots, and there are a few entertaining spots (I do like the "neuralizer" bits) but to me this one seems like a patchwork conglomeration of flashy CGI effects and a whole lot of Nickelodeon-style slime and gross-out gags. I felt nauseous every time D'Onofrio was onscreen. Not of least importance, the screenplay sounds like it was re-written every single day.
Maybe if I had seen this one when I was 14 it would have become a guilty pleasure, but I simply can't like this one no matter how hard I try. Yeah, it's a flashy popcorn flick, but even judging by that standard...it's a sloppy movie.
I'd be interested in any opinions on this one. If others feel the same way, I won't feel like such a freak, and maybe those who like Men in Black could turn me on to something I'm missing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's not just a popcorn flick, it's a comedy. It's not supposed to be taken seriously at all. Even the action pieces are used for comedic effect. I personally find it quite charming:)

Guy_K

Second Unit
I really like MiB. I think Smith and Jones had great chemistry together, and all the comedic moments work for me. D'onofrio is also hilarious in his role. I don't think the sequel looks too promising though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I didn't see it all the way through, but I hated what I did see. No interest in seeing the rest/the sequel.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Yes, taken in the context that the movie is a comedy first and anything else second, I think it works beautifully.

Will Smith doesn't let go of one bad one liner, the introduction into the MIB world was excellent, the set design was spot on retro futuristic and carried through the entire movie very well.

As for what was 'smart' in it? I think they nailed the concept of a 'fast and loose' 50's style agency at work today. Their play on the 'aliens among us' was more creative than it had to be.

But I don't think it was ever trying for smart, mostly clever.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Here's another one I can't agree with you on. I loved Men In Black! I think it's clever, witty, funny and just plain silly (in a good way). There are so many great Link Removed and moments in it that the few times it sags I can more than forgive. It had me from the opening titles, with the bug flying around then getting smushed on the windshield. It's got great music, a killer cast who all look like they're having the time of their lives, and for me, it's fun from beginning to end. I'm completely baffled whenever I see this movie getting dissed. I think 'What's not to love?' but, oh well.
I'm looking forwrd to the sequel, but I'm really disappointed that Linda Fiorentino won't be in it.
Anyway, it gets a thousand extra points just for this line:
"A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
MiB is a very weird film, but it works. Tommy Lee Jones is flawless in this movie and Will Smith is equally great. The movie doesn't really take itself seriously, which is a good thing...the only problem I have with it is that that
the little alien dies from a wound to the robot he's in....obviously, he wasn't electrocuted, so what gives?

Other than that, it's a fun and well made movie.
I'd give it :star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star: .

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

I thought it was pretty clear that Edgar pierces them through the neck all the way through. That way he skewers the little driver.

Or are you speaking of a different scene?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I really tried to like this movie and failed utterly. :D I didn't find it particularly funny or entertaining, despite the presence of Smith, Jones, and the gorgeous Linda Fiorentino.
The scene I liked the best (Will Smith on the alien shooting range) was apparently the scene that Barry Sonnenfeld disliked the most (and shot by second unit). Strange, because he did so well with The Addams Family...
Can't wait to miss the sequel! ;)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I liked it, but I didn't think it was nearly as great as many folks I know did.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'd have to say that I agree with Scott, like usual. :)
The trailer for the sequel did not arouse any excitement in me whatsoever, although I did laugh at a couple of Smith's lines.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you take this movie seriously, you will not like it. This is one of the most original movies I have seen and also one of my favourite. I loved the fact the the supermarket tabloids are the source of real information.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
It probably helped me that I saw it with very low expectations. I never even wanted to see it, but my BF really wanted to watch the DVD, so I relented. I didn't hate it as much as I expected, but on the other had, one viewing was certainly enough! 4 out of 10

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I quite enjoyed it but I didn't love it. It's a cut above most other goofy summer movies but I don't think it really demands repeat viewings, which is why I haven't bothered getting the dvd even though, like I said, it's an enjoyable movie. The trailer for the sequel looked surprisingly good, though, so I think I will be seeing it in theaters :)

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this movie, and have watched the DVD several times.

Will Smith's style of humor was perfectly balanced by the rest of the movies deadpan. Tommy Lee Jones and Rip Torn were perfect.

The production design was amazing, and the film was wonderfully clever and witty.

A few of my favorite scenes: The tunnel and the Elvis song, the test with the screeching chair, the pug.

This is one of those rare movies where everything clicked for me. Definitely a fun movie.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Initally, I was kinda disappointed in it, since I didn't think it went far enough in the concept. What was there was fine, it just didn't seem like enough for some reason.

It has grown on me somewhat as a piece of light entertainment. I'm a little disappointed that they are bringing back Tommy Lee Jones for the sequal. I would have liked to have seen more of Linda Fiorintio's character (who doesn't seem anywhere in the trailer.) I'm sure it will be fun, but there are films I'm more looking forward to this summer.

Jason

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I was thourougly un-entertained as well, so take heart...you are not a freak. And your team resides 8 spots below me on the HTF Baseball Fight Club.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm with you Scott. I was entirely underwhelmed. It wasn't particularly funny and took out a great concept and churned out a pretty turgid comedy.

A sequel holds no interest to me if it is played out the same way.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It was OK. It had its moments. I thought there was too much reliance on "slime" jokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks