What's new

Canadian Outlaws (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
What with exchange, duty, and taxes, please advise on costs to bring in your 950, 755, or 770 (or pre/pro amp combo) to the land of the CRTC.
(ummm... in Loonies ) ;)

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday. I'll post the total cost here. My credit card was charged $1510.46(loonies) . That's for the Outlaw and UPS ground shipping.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
add tax, UPS $50 brokerage fee and duty if applicable. No chump change by any means but the government still gets it's share even though you are buying a product from the US. This is the reason why i'm having my unit shipped to the US so i can in turn pick it up.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I don't understand why duty and taxes are added if it's a product that is not available in Canada. I always thought that the taxes were added because you chose to get it in the states rather than Canada.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Outlaw should use Fedex to ship to Canada. I never have anything shipped by UPS, from the US, because of the their bullshit, I mean brokerage, fee. UPS is the only courier that has this charge.

Jeff

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Outlaw should use Fedex to ship to Canada. I never have anything shipped by UPS, from the US, because of the their bullshit, I mean brokerage, fee. UPS is the only courier that has this charge
Most companies will allow you to choose another courier at your expense. History has shown that costs for UPS courier (even with brokerage) is still less than others, especially FedEx.
Keep it coming...:D

BrentPollard

Second Unit
This is off topic but since we have the Thread title maybe we could have a count of the Canadian buyers;)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I am still waiting for my 950 to ship (of course I was late to join the band wagon so I cannot complain).

On top of the $1510.46 (got that number from Sean's post)you can expect to be charged PST and GST (you can probably figure that one out yourself as the PST varies from province to province), the $50 brokerage fee from UPS, and duty which is charged by Revenue Canada and Customs Agency. As this product is not built in the US it does not qualify as a duty-free product under the FTAA and NAFTA rules. I have not looked up the rate myself but it will probably be around 1.9% (again you can look this information up if you are worried).

That is it.

As for the person picking his up in the US, unless you plan on smuggling this unit into Canada you will get the same charges. Hopefully you are aware that the pre-pro, while not huge, will be very quickly spotted if the Customs Agent does a cursory seach (look in trunk) of your car. After 9/11, you can probably assume your car will be "glanced" at. I am not going to risk getting my name flagged everytime I deal with Canadian Customs just to save duty and taxes.

Chris

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
That's two officially... there are others I've seen who have not as yet posted.

Alright fellow Canuckleheads, what amp are you matching (or planning to match) with the 950? (I don't want to start a ton of Cndn threads)

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I got on the list Jan 10 2002. I have yet to receive my order info. I will be using a Rotel RB 985 5x100 THX.
Speakers: PSB Silver front
PSB C-6 center
PSB Mini's side surround
PSB Alpha's for the rear (when I get two more channels of power).
PSB Sub 3
:)

Grahame

Grip
If anyone is thinking about smuggling their 950 across the border (like I was), if you get caught the fine is 2x the taxes plus you are flagged. Although not applicable to the 950, if you are ordering another piece of equipment from the US try to get the seller to write the receipt for much less than the actual cost. This is what I am doing for an amp - the seller is writing a receipt for less than half the cost, saving me about 125 loonies.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
I'm on the waiting list as well. I got on around Jan 10th. I'm not in that much of a rush because I will be doing a lot of travelling for the next 2 months so I won't be around to enjoy the 950 even if I received it yesterday.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
i never smuggle but let's just say i don't pay full price either. I will leave it at that.
With the 950, i'm mating this piece to an ATI 1502 amp and a B&K AV 5000 series II amplifier. Monitor Audio Silver speakers all around and an HSU VTF-2 to handle the lowest octave.
My 950 is on it's way to Michigan as we speak, tomorrow i should have it:)

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I think you are insane to not declare or under-declare at the border. I often pick things up in Buffalo... and make a full declaration of everything. The customs people have always been excellent to deal with. However, if your number comes up... they will look through *everything*. If they find undeclared goods, or find you have under-declared, it will be a mistake you will live with the rest of your life (well, every time you cross the border).

m.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
My buddy went down with his wife and bought a tennis racquet, didn't say anything at customs because it was a birthday gift for the wife (he bought it and hid it in the trunk without her knowing).. When customs found it, they were gonna TAKE the car, charge them both, etc, etc.. Total nightmare, and this was 10 years ago.. A lot has happened since then :frowning: I would never mess around at the border!

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
I don't believe the thread topic was about contributing or not contributing to the government was it?
here are the totals keeping in mind this product is $899+ shipping.
$1510.46x15%=$1737.02 + i believe it's about 3% duty for products manufactured in Asia=$1789.13CAN +$50(approx.)brokerage fee= $1839.13CAN total.
This is what i would call highway robbery but i guess here i Canada one would call this normal. Paying double the purchase price on an item that has not even been purchased here but in the US is insane. This is discouraging to many including myself. Depending on your income you pay 30-35% tax then on everything you buy you pay another 15% tax. When will it end? I get so sick and tired of GIVING away HALF of my hard earned money to Mr. Chretien. If he ever decides to give away ANOTHER 6 million dollars unaccounted for without any questions to somebody, i will gladly take it.:) Sorry if i sound bitter, but this (in part) is where our money is going every week. If you guys want to pay over $329 just to have your 950 shipped, please be my guest.
Somewhere a line has to be drawn....
I would sure hate to see the bill for a fully loaded Lexicon MC-12 shipped directly to your door. Then again, if you can afford this pristine unit, i guess you can afford to pay the taxes, etc too.

I'm also looking into getting the 950 to complete my home theater system. I know it's frustrating with all the taxes we pay but the fact is there is nothing out there for $1800 CDN that competes with the 950. The closest is the Anthem AVM-20 a very nice unit but the store I usually shop at wants $4500 for it. So compared to that spending the $1800 doesn't sound so bad;) .

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I ordered mine on January 14th so I should be getting mine shortly after Brent, and Trevor. I plan on matching the Outlaw unit to some Bryston amps.
I personally do not find $1850 excessive when entering the world of separates. Paying $4500 for the AV20 (I am not suggesting that the Sonic Frontiers pre-amp is not worth this price) is much harder on my wallet and would mean getting lesser qualtiy amps.
How about we keep this thread to discussions on Canadians and Outlaw products and leave the political diatribes for another day? ;)
Chris

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
I know what you mean. I wantedt to get a 249US ICBM with short stack cables. Looks affordable.

But once to start conversions/taxes etc it went over like 700 bones! Hmmmm. Too rich for my blood.

If you know someone in the states, ship it there and have them bring it over. They virtually never stop an American coming to Canada but do on the way back to your own country.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks