What's new

To anyone who has tested the HSU VTF-3 How does it compair with other woofers. (1 Viewer)

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
If you haven't tested it please don't respond. Thanks.

If you were to rate it against other subs how would it rate? a 1-10 scale would be good.

Also would it be possable to make a sub that would be like and perform like the VTF-3.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
You gotta be kidding me! :D
Hsu = 10
SVS = 8
Assuming this is not a joke, I will try and fill in where I can from memory. I did some very lengthy reviews that you can go look at as well. We did do extensive listening tests with a group of friends on both the Hsu VTF-3 and the SVS 20-39 CS. We had four folks listen to them subjectively and took many many measurements comparing the objective and subjective performance of the two. Overall, with the "Stryke" CD and our corrected Radio Shack SPL meter, they measured about the same, reaching down into the 16 Hz range in my room. We never did find out which one could go the "loudest" but the Hsu seemed to be able to handle more volume than the SVS. If pushed too hard the SVS would begin making a "farting sound" and we had to turn it down. It is generally thought that the employment of an aftermarket subsonic filter would have made a big difference for the SVS CS in that regard.
In a nutshell, we all felt the Hsu VTF-3 was the better sounding subwoofer. With music, the Hsu really shines. It's very detailed and accurate. The SVS has some problems in that area, and while being also being good for music simply misses some of the musical information causing the upper and midbass notes to become somewhat muffled and congested.
For Home Theater purposes, they both have ALOT of slam factor going for them. But again, because of it's amazing ability to reproduce music and sounds accurately, our original group of testers gave the nod to the Hsu in this area as well. The Hsu also seems to be able to go a little louder than the SVS CS series at high volumes on very deep bass material. In a couple of our tests at VERY loud volumes (over 100 dB) we actually had to jump up and turn the SVS down. In particular during the opening credits of Toy Story 2 and during the Depth Charge scene in U571. The SVS began making a "farting" sound and we feared that it might be getting damaged so we simply turned it down to be safe.
Overall they are both great "bang for the buck" subwoofers. Two of the best. Still after all is said and done, we all pretty much felt the Hsu was the overall winner. Dr. Hsu just seems to have come up with that magical combination of finesse and brute strength while not sacrificing quality in either one.
If you can justify the lost shipping charges, you might consider purchasing both subs and comparing for yourself. I know I am very glad I did as now I know I got the best subwoofer for me. Your opinion might be completely different. :)

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I should have been clear sorry. I already read the SVS/HSU thread, I was wondering about other subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks