What's new

Sony DA50ES or V555ES? (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Mee

Auditioning
I have found these AV recievers at a very cheap price (DA50 at £299 and V555 at £350). I was just wondering which one to get. I know the v555 is a lot newer and has a lot of features but I heard the da50 has better sound. (There is also a db1070 for £279 but I've pretty much ruled that out).
I am a student and therefore have very limited funds, but passing an offer to own a high-end reciever at this price would be stupid. But I want to make the right decision, which one?? You're help will be much apreciated.
PS Since I'll be using it about 50% with music, 30% with my PS2 and about 20% with movies, so which one is best with music.
PPS Lastly, which standmounts would suit these amps well. I heard they have bright sound, so I was thinking about some warm Missions to even out the sound - two pairs of 701s to be exact; but would these speakers be doing the reciever justice - these are budget ones after all. (Forgive me if I sound a bit clueless - I'm no audiophile!).
Thanks;)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
You may tend to get a bit harsh sound w/ the DA50ES since your priority will be music, but the V555ES amps may be a bit softer and smoother for music reproduction. Plus, although the DA50ES is a great receiver, I remember reading about a few quality control issues; and the DA50ES may be reaching the end of it's warranty period. Both are great units, but I'd definately go w/ the V555ES. BTW, I've had a bit of experience w/ both receivers.

Jimmy Mee

Auditioning
Thanks very much Kevin!
You certainly swayed me over to the v555, but with no disrespect to you whatsoever, could anyone please give me a second opinion?
Thanks.;)

JackS

Supporting Actor
Several models of the DA50 were made for different parts of the world. The N.A. models don't have the required inputs for multi channel SACD or DVD-A. If these features intrest you, check the DA50 closely before buying. This would not be a problem with the V555.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
since you're in the UK, have a look at the latest issue of What Hi-Fi, they have a review of the new STR-VA555ES, which they say shares a similar model number but has actually been completely revamped and is miles better than the original STR-V555ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks