What's new

Just bought a used DVD player (1 Viewer)

Bob Smith

Grip
I just bought a used JVC XV-D701 from a friend at work for $100. Did I get a good deal? I also need to know if I need to get a firmware upgrade for this model. Any info would be appreciated. (I know I should have asked this question before I bought it, but it was a spur of the moment kind of deal)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
It's a fairly old non-progressive player; released in 1999, I believe.

It's not a horrible purchase, but my guess is that you could've found a lot of new non-progressive players for around the same price.

I couldn't find any available firmware updates.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Also be aware that many of the 501/701 series had a large laser failure rate and that these models are incorporated into the class action lawsuit against JVC and Panasonic which is going to settlement.

Brad M

Second Unit
I own a JVC XV-D701 and I have had a problem with color fading while watching a movie. I wrote JVC and they sent me a way to reset the player. It's back to working again. I thought I'd post the reset procedure in case anyone else needs it. Here it is:

DVD Reset procedure XVD-701

1. Make sure there is no Disc in the tray.

2. Shut off the unit and unplug it from the AC outlet.

3. Press and hold the "On Screen" and "Title" Keys, simultaneously.

4. While holding these keys, plug the AC cord back into the outlet. (TEST

JC3 or JC2 will appear on the display)

5. Release these keys and then press the "Enter" key.

6. The "Resume" light will illuminate. (initialization is complete)

7. Press the "Power button" to turn the unit off.

8. Press the "Power button" to turn the unit back on.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Not trying to make you feel worse, Bob, but I'd hesitate to buy any used A/V component that's based on moving parts (turntables, tape decks, LaserDisc players as well as DVD players). As noted, you can get much better-performing machines brand new for only a little more than what you paid for that four-year-old interlaced-only player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks