What's new

Would you buy one of your Fav. Movies if it was ONLY on P&S DVD?.... I Did :( (1 Viewer)

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Well I broke down and finlly did it. I swore I never would, but I did....... and now I feel dirty.

"White Fang" has been one of my favourite Disney movies since I first bought it on laserdisc , years ago. When I heard of an immenent DVD release, I was overjoyed. Then came the news that it was full frame only. My joy turned to sorrow, and then to anger. Anyway, the disc hit the streets last week. I could not turn down the temptation of owning one of my favorite movies, once again. Granted, the full frame transfer looks pretty good, even on my widescreen set, I still feel dirty for not resisting the tempation.

Has anyone else ever bought a DVD that wasn't available in widescreen, just because they enjoyed that particular title????

Marc.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Only once and it was only because I was a newbie at the time and didn't know better. The title? Spies Like us! :b

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
Nooooooooooooo.....

Dont give into the dark side!!!!!

I've been lucky, my favorite movies all come in widescreen.

But if they weren't I still woundn't buy them. Pan and Scan makes me sick!

Mike

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If it is truly full-frame, you can matte it. How is that different from non-anamorphic letterboxed?
Who here owns no non-anamorphic letterboxed discs?
And I know there are several people here with 4:3 'Amazon Women on the Moon' discs.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sounds like you fit the profile of Disney's perfect customer. An HT enthusiast who prefers OAR, but will give in and buy the P&S anyway if it's a film you really, really, really want.
Haven't been faced with that dilemma yet, but may when the Muppet films are released. I believe I only have 2 P&S titles, "Driving Miss Daisy" (received as a gift) and "Wrongfully Accused" (bought before I realized there even *was* such a thing as P&S DVD). I haven't watched either.
The war of attrition is how the studios will win the P&S fight. If we all cave in for our few "favorite" titles, then our numbers against P&S are greatly diminished. We gotta stick together! We need P&S will power!! :)

Seung Kim

Agent
No way! Ever since LD collecting days back in high school, never bought P&S.

Bridges of Madison County is one of my favoite romantic movies, and still waiting for WS version so far...

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I wouldn't. I have all of my favorite movies on full-frame VHS already. Why double dip? ;)

I recently bought "House Arrest" to replace my widescreen laserdisc. I did not give in and set it back to DVD Empire for credit. I will not downgrade!

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
i have two in my collection. Spies like us and billy madison. Never again. NO reason for these companies not to offer a widescreen version of all movies. I keep hoping for widescreen transfers (animorphic of course) of the 2 puke and scan movies i have now.)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I would NEVER purchase a movie on DVD that was not OAR! Several personal favorites are only available in Pan & Scam, but I will not relent!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Nope. CUJO is a HUGE favorite of mine, and I had to battle the urge to get the pan and scan Artisan DVD, and I finally decided against it. Artisan had damn well better release an OAR version soon! :angry:

StephenA

Screenwriter
I got Willy Wonka, a favorite of mine, in pan and scan for Christmas. Someday I'll upgrade it to widescreen.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
My first fullframe DVD was Showdown in little Tokyo, which was also one of the first DVD's ever. After that, I've also got some Disney animated DVD that were fullframe when the theatrical presentation was wider, in addition to this some Warner Kubrick DVD's. Other than that, I can't think of any else. At least there are no Pan & Scan movies in my collection (as opposed to full frame) but hopefully I will resist getting any else...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If it says "Formatted to fit your screen", I don't buy it. It's that simple. Same goes for any other alterations (music rights, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks