What's new

My Star Wars laser disc definitive trilogy arrived today!!! (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I am pumped!!! My set arrived today and is currently playing in all it's "unscrewed with", widescreen glory!!! I bought a player a week ago and I am in home theater heaven!:D
Todd

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Congratulations! I did the same thing about a year ago except my laserdisc player was actually free. A coworker gave me one he had been using as a doorstop. :D
Gregory

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
My laserdisc player is due to arrive tomorrow morning.
I've had a collection of 12 laserdiscs for a week now.. :) Including the Definitive collection. Anyway, congratulations Todd, enjoy!

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I've had a collection of 12 laserdiscs for a week now.. Including the Definitive collection.
Scott, you're going to love the definitive collection. We've been watching them all day. Now to get the Indiana Jones discs, E.T. should arrive tomorrow. :)
Todd

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I wish I would use my laserdisc player more. I have a pretty sizeable collection and my Pioneer player is still hooked up to my main system. It just seems that my DVD collection takes priority and I am so behind with just those!

Congrats though on the LD purchases--hope you enjoy them as much as me.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
You guys are copying off of me...hehehe.

Mine copy of the Definitive Collection came Wednesday...but the LD Player still ain't here so I'm going nutzo.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
Where'd you find these, Todd? I figure they'd make a great introduction to the world of laser for me.
I found everything on EBAY. My player was $80.00 (Pioneer CLD-990), and is in like new shape. The Trilogy cost $130, but well worth it. E.T. was a steal at $10.00. There's about 12-15 movies on laser I intend to pick-up. :)
Todd

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Sweet, CLD-990! I bought mine in 1991! :)
I recently semi-retired it for a player with coax and RF outs (a modified D504, bought from another HTFer), but the CLD-990 served me well through a ton of heavy use, including repeated Star Wars viewings.
If you need a manual for it (though it is pretty straightforward), let me know, I'm scanning my copy for the laserdiscarchive guy.
My new player arrived only a couple of weeks ago, and I've been so busy at work that I haven't had much of a chance to watch anything...but I took an hour last night and watched the start of Empire.
Gonna have to run me an all-LaserDisc nine-hour Star Wars marathon one day soon.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
E.T. CAV 4 disc edition is something I must get, but I won a copy of the NTSC Indy Trilogy (insisted on this, because the UK PAL version of Temple of Doom is cut in several places) and is due for delivery on Monday.
I'm following the archived list of important laserdiscs here, and hope to get a few more by the end of next week.
And Todd, I hate these long waits. :)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
I recently semi-retired it for a player with coax and RF outs (a modified D504, bought from another HTFer), but the CLD-990 served me well through a ton of heavy use, including repeated Star Wars viewings.
Hey Aaron,
This may be a dumb question, but bear with a Laser Disc newbie. Will my CLD-990 play Star Wars: The Phantom Menace? I just bought a Japanese import from EBAY. I thought I read something about Dolby. Is it just that I won't get 5.1 sound, due to a lack of RF outs?
Todd

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Todd, of course it will play it with PCM or analog sound. Go read the HT Basics primer I wrote and you'll fully understand how and why, I hope. BTW, the PCM sound is exeptional. Best wishes!

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmm Star Wars AND Indiana Jones on Laserdisc. Now you guys have me thinking about getting a player just for that. Are there any places where I could buy a new LD player or is it a used market only now. How much should I pay for one? Can I still buy new LD's or is that a used market also. Man, if they would just release Star Wars and Indiana on DVD and make millions in the process I wouldn't have to think about doing this.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Is it just that I won't get 5.1 sound, due to a lack of RF outs?
Rachael already answered, but I'll also chime in to reassure you that the PCM audio out of the CLD-990 is good enough to remind you just how awful DD 2.0 and downmixed DD 5.1 on DVD are.

And Phantom Menace has a sweet PCM track. I've heard it twice now, and my own copy is coming to me from Japan shortly with a friend of mine.

Still, the best PCM tracks I've heard, in my opinion, are Apocalypse Now (either widescreen disc) and Mission: Impossible. Listen to the opening credits in M:I and drool on yourself...mmm...PCM good...mmm...

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Welcome to the Pleasuredome!
My LD collection may be down by about half, but it's full of lots of stuff I really don't want to get rid of, regardless of its DVD issue, such as... (all original purchases by the way, no sale titles or second hand)
Star Wars Trilogy - Definitive Collection CAV
Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Box Set
Indiana Jones Trilogy (original US LB editions)
Snow White CAV Box Set (Hardcover Book)
Pinnochio CAV Box Set
Nightmare Before Christmas CAV Box Set (uncut documentary/HC book)
Fantasia CAV Box
The Doors CAV Box
The Flintstones - The First 13 Episodes
Golden Age Of Looney Tunes Boxes 1-5
T2 Special Edition CAV Box (GNR video)
Natural Born Killers CAV Box Set
The Sound Of Music CAV box set (Gold CD - complete soundtrack)
E.T. Collectors Edition Box Set (Gold CD)
Schindler's List Box Set (Picture CD/Novel)
Dances With Wolves Box (Extended/CD/Book/Lobby Cards)
Rocky Horror Picture Show 20th Ann Box (Gold CD/Book)
This Is Spinal Tap (CAV Criterion)
Robocop (CAV Criterion)
Toy Story CAV Box
Metropolis (Moroeder cut)
Pink Floyd - P*U*L*S*E
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (DD/Zemeckis Commentary) - no original CAV cut though :frowning: M
Pink Floyd - The Wall (AC-3/Alan Parker commentary)
Jurassic Park DTS :emoji_thumbsup:
Hunchback Of Notre Dame DTS :emoji_thumbsup:
Speed DTS :emoji_thumbsup:
Mary Poppins (DD/LB - isolated mono score)
Aladdin CAV
Lion King
Beauty & The Beast
Beauty & The Beast - Work In Progress
Gone With The Wind - The Making Of A Legend
Here's hoping my Pioneer CLD-D406 keeps running trouble-free for years!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Todd. I'm going to start my quest for a LD player there as well.
Besides Star Wars, I want to get a few films that aren't yet on DVD. Haven't seen an Incredible Shrinking Man LD for sale yet. :frowning:

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Is there any e-shops around which sell second hand or unsold laserdiscs? (pref. in the UK, or Europe, but I'll consider almost anywhere.)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
You know, all this talk of laserdiscs has inspired me to crack out my definitive Star Wars set tonite!!

Maybe I'll follow that up with English Patient and Sling Blade Criterions!

Cheers,

Felix

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
My player ships today, and with any luck I'll be having a Star Wars marathon on Wednesday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks