What's new

How often do you upgrade your receiver? (1 Viewer)

Rob_b

Agent
I discovered Home Theater about 2 years ago. I purchased a Marantz SR-7000. At that time I wasn't aware that home theater technology changes so rapidly. I was never really planning on upgrading. Now I have just purchased a SR-8200.

How often do you all make a receiver upgrades?

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
It's almost a "Ignorance is bliss" kind of thing. After you get your system fully setup the FIRST time, it's probably better to put blinders on for a few years in regards to new technology. The HT industry has become as upgrade crazy as the PC industry. Do we "need" every new bell and whistle as soon as it comes out? No. Will a three year old system do most every thing we need it to? Yes, in most cases.
I am in the computer support business. I tell people that PC's do NOT get obsolete until you upgrade software or add new hardware features. If you keep the OS and major apps that the PC originally came with, there is no reason you shouldn't get a LEAST three years of quality use out of the machine. Then, you probably should sell it, take all of the $$ that you would have spent constantly upgrading, and buy a new system. You could really arque the same thing about HT.
I also have a SR-8200. I had wanted to go the separates route this time, but a failure of my old Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX a year earlier than I had planned really threw my timetable off. Now I will probably try to keep the SR-8200 for a few years, and eventually use it as a pre-pro with a nice Rotel amp. Unless I get a promotion or win the FLA lottery this ain't a-gonna happen soon tho!
My biggest hope is to develop the maturity to follow my own doggone advice! ;)
My $.02
Pete

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I am upgrading my receiver after 3.5 years - a long time for me! I just buy the most cutting edge that I find (and like!) and then just kind bite the bullet and stick with it.

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Every two years, like clockwork. Bought my last receiver, a Marantz SR-8000, in May of 2000. Guess what I'm doing now? Now, if I could only decide (49TX, 5803, RX-Z1).

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Every 2 to 3 years for me too.

Back in the days of 2 channel only, it was more like 5 to 7 years...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If one plans the upgrade path well, it should not be necessary to upgrade so often. As stated, buying a receiver that has pre-outs gives you the foundation to step into separates. Start with the receiver by itself, then add the external amp(s), then swap out the receiver with a nice pre/pro. This is my plan. When new "features" or processing techniques come up that will actually be useful, one only needs to upgrade the pre/pro and maybe add an amp or two. This makes the most sense to me, and is really the reason why I chose my receiver, not because of DPLII or 6.1 capability. My receiver is meeting my needs currently (only about 6 mo. young) but I am sure I have also already been looking around for what's next. Not sure if I will move to a better receiver or a nice amp to use with this one, since I am happy with the sound now.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm in the minority here. I don't bother to condsider upgrading until what I have is actually obsolete.

Bought a Yamaha RX-V670 in college (circa. Fall 1993) that had good, clean power and DPL (the cutting edge at the time). This was an upgrade from a 2-channel system I'd had for about 6 years.

I didn't upgrade until summer 2000, when I bought a Marantz SR-19. In the interim period I had upgraded many other components (laserdisc player, speakers, S-VHS, DVD player and new TV), but until I needed the digital sound compatability with DVD I didn't see any need (lived about 6-7 months with DVD and analogue sound).

Can't see myself upgrading until the next quantum leap; 6.1, 7.1 doesn't make a damn bit of difference for me, as I live in an apartment, and 2 rear channels are enough, thank you. Wouldn't use DPLII for music (2-channels is mixed for 2-channels), and don't really feel the need for it with non-DPL encoded stereo TV audio.

I'd rather have a high quality unit rather than one that can do the latest and greatest. If you can do both, that's clearly the best of all worlds. In my opinion, why compromise?

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'm the late-adopter of the group. I bought a decent kenwood DPL (8080) receiver the year Dolby Digital came out (about 6 years ago?). This year I'll probably get a replacement which will have DTS.

What I have sounds great even though it is just DolbyPL.

Then again, I *just* got my first DVD player :b - Panny RP56. And hopefully my 7 year old TV will be replaced next year, or the year after (whenever I can get a decent RP HDTV with DVI input ~$3K).

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I guess my time dwindles..bought my first receiver late last year, replaced it early this year, replacing it again now.

Before I needed more optical inputs, now I need a component switching receiver. I really hope it ends here.

-ELmO

DavidAM

Second Unit
I just upgraded from an 11 year old Pioneer reciever to a HK520 which I'm hoping has enough features and upgradability to last another 5-7 years. I don't need every new little feature, but had to get into 5.1 and this receiver is upgradable to 6.1 and 7.1 for very cheap and has all the switching needs for HDTV and other major features that I would need when I get them (don't have an HDTV yet).

RobertGeo

Agent
i still have my pioneer vsx-d3s from 1995. i want to upgrade but there are too many damn choices out here.

its like my computer-mac g4 450mhz that i bought 2 years ago. now there is a mac g4 dual gig out there. in less then 5 months the g5's will hit. its crazy!

i think i will wait it out and see how the new denon performs. its either the new denon or the 49tx. wait maybe i should go pre/pro? choices? yup!!!

rob

RichardMA

Second Unit
In the last 6 years, I've had about 9 receiver/processors.

This isn't a case of simply upgrading, there are two

factors at work; You try to find the best sound and functionality you can and often this is only possible in your own listening environment and you also are at the mercy

of the companies, which add new features that seem like

"must haves." I figure a sane person might upgrade after

3-4 years.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I am on receiver #3 in 4 years (of REAL HT that is). But, I bought #2 January '01 (Sony STR-V555es replaced STRD-E825), #3 in Sept '01 (Onkyo 989, sold the 555 on EBAY and broke even) and will be goign to separates by year end or early next year (Anthem AVM-20 + Rotel RB-1090 + Sherbourn 5/1500A and a new set of B&W N804's ......I am a very sick man).

Is this like confession at an AA meeting?

Marc

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
I also ponder this. To keep my Marantz SR-7000 & instead add on 5 channel amp & use my receiver's preouts to feed the amp or get a new receiver with all the latest decoding?

My speakers are B&W 600 series so I wonder if an amp 125wpc will make any difference?

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I'm tempted to upgrade Nakamichi AV-10 receiver I purchased about 3 years ago. This no frill machine just sounds so good. 6.1 is clouding my judgement.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I have gone through 11 receivers in 5 years, since I could first afford a 5.1 receiver. Hmmm, come to think of it, I would preferred not to have calculated that...it's depressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks