What's new

Scotch Drinkers? (1 Viewer)

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new to the world of Single malt scotches and finding the buy and try to be a little
eek.gif
expensive. I really like Dalmore and Dalwhinnie. Any other fav's?
Do you add (water....ice....straight) and why?
I like a little ice then swirl til it melts.
What are good snacks to munch while sipping? (expecting snobbish replies to that question.)
What do bottles cost in your area/country

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I think a bottle (750ml) of Highland Park (Orkney brand? I can't remember) costs about $35 CDN here.
Scotch was my drink of choice when I was living in Salmon Arm...A multi-millionaire friend of mine would buy all the expensive ones, and I'd get to try them.
I used to like some of the stuff. But, needless to say, I can't even smell Scotch without the requisite GAG REFLEX(tm) kicking in!
Woe is me.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
My two favorites are Balvenie DoubleWood (12 year) and Oban (14 year). I find that just a splash of water really brings out the flavor nicely especialy with the DoubleWood where you can really taste the flavors of the two casks that it was aged in. I don't really care for ice because that tends to take away the flavor and then waters it down.
And there noting, and I mean nothing, like having a fine scotch with good cigar.
-Steve
------------------
Link Removed Home Theater Gear

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in some years at a wedding and we had a shot each of Rye, Rum and Vodka. Later, at the bar I asked for a couple of scotches and brought them back to the table. After some talking(and the ice in the drinks melting) we said a cheers and I swallowed this "fine" drink. I turned green and a minute later I became sick, putting my head under the table. I played the role of the wedding drunk that night and haven't touched the shit since. :)
------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

RicP

Screenwriter
My faves are Glen Ord, Talisker, and Autruschan Three Wood.
I tend to favor the Lowland single malts rather than the highland, although there are exceptions.
I usually take it neat, but will add a splash of water on certain multi-cask malts.
I'm also an afficianado of a good Bourbon as well.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I prefer bourbon and Irish whiskey. When I do drink Scotch, I prefer it on the rocks.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
the Macallan. Period, all time fav, unfortunately, at 80+ a bottle, a rare extravagance for me as a student. Glenmorangie, and Glenfiddich are good as well. Usually neat, sometimes with ice(depending on mood) NEVER with water. (Unless it's Dewar's, which doesn't really count). And yeah, with a good cigar, some of the Honduran's are really good these days. Standard smoke for me is a Padron(maduro wrapper). UMMMM, going to mix a drink now....
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Single malt whisky is an acquired taste, and not everyone likes it. The same goes for a lot of other spirits (e.g. I personally hate brandy). Although largely teetotal (no head for alcohol rather than any moral/religious thing), I am partial to the occasional drop of whisky, ever since having a boss who was a connoisseur of the stuff.
The way the Scots drink whisky is diluted with at least an equal quantity of water. Whisky is too 'fierce' a spirit to be drunk neat - by diluting it, you appreciate the flavours more without the 'burning' sensation. However, don't add ice.
There is a large range of whisky, and it's unlikely you'll find them all equally appealing. The principal division is into highland and lowland whisky. Highland whisky comes from the north of Scotland (duh) and tends to be lighter in flavour and usually colour. Lowland whisky tends to be darker coloured and with a 'heavier' flavour. The reason for this is that lowland whisky is usually matured in oak barrels which were previously used for storing sherry, and part of the flavour is from the sherry-impregnated wood. Which you prefer is a matter of personal taste. Probably the best bet is to buy a set of small sampler bottles and try them out. Highland Park is relatively light tasting, Laphroig probably the richest tasting (don't buy a bottle of this unless you've sampled it - it is very strong and tastes smokey - the nearest analogous taste is probably kippers, if you've ever had them). There is no single whisky which is 'better' than all the rest. You'll find a few names get offered up as good examples on a regular basis, but there are plenty more, and one of the pleasures of whisky drinking is finding obscure brands which others don't know about. Likewise, don't be too obsessed with the age of the stuff. Generally, no whisky tastes of anything special until it's been matured for at least 8 or so years, but it's unlikely you'll find a single malt younger than that for sale. Really old whisky (e.g. at least 24 years old) does taste better but IMHO isn't worth the asking price. However, others may disagree.
Once you've made inroads into Scotch, try sampling Irish whiskey (note the difference in spelling). Again, there is a decent variety of single malts, and they tend to be somewhat smoother than Scotch. Personally, I prefer a drop of the Irish, but this is a matter of personal taste.
One final thing - moderation in all things! Getting to know different types of whisky should be done over a long time, not in a single night!
The following address may be of interest:
http://www.smwsa.com/
[Edited last by andrew markworthy on September 19, 2001 at 01:41 AM]

Scott H

Supporting Actor
For single malt I drink Balvenie 10 yr cut with about 1:1 cold water, no ice. For whiskey I drink Makers Mark, with the same water or sometimes on the rocks.
I find water to be very important for almost all non-mix drinks, for taste and health. For instance, I drink a fair amount of beers, being particular fond of stouts, and always drink water simultaneously. I'm also fond of sipping Sauza Hornitos tequila with water accompaniment. And I must have water with wines (the palette really benefits there).
As for foods/snacks, it really depends - whatever works for you. I'm a snacker, but for these types of dricks I often go for Bavarian style hard pretzels, cheeses, chips/salsa...
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Definitely Oban. Unvelievable. But again, at around $60 a bottle it's pretty decadent.
I also second the nomination of Maker's Mark.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Another Oban man here, although I do drink mine with a small amount of ice. I've tried The Macallan and it was very good it's just hard/impossible to find in my area.
Mike

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I think this thread should be permanently archived for posterity!
biggrin.gif

I've gotta create a list of the stuff mentioned here, stick it on my Palm, and go find samplers at the fine liquor outlets in this town.
------------------
Max Leung

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
My favorite moderately-priced single malts are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. Best of all, you can usually find one or the other at Costco! Of course, you have to buy a big bottle, but that's never been a problem for me. :)
And I have to reluctantly agree to the mixture of a good Scotch and a good cigar. Nice!
[Edited last by Jan Strnad on September 19, 2001 at 08:27 PM]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm of Scotish descent, yet have never tried scotch. I'm not up too much on hard liquor anymore...don't quite have the stomach for it. I mainly just stick to beer, but I shall have to try some of the above listed labels. Thanks. :)
------------------
My DVD Collection

Jin E

Second Unit
I mainly just stick to beer...
A-Men brother Clinton! Thou shalt walk HAND in HAND with the Brew when commeth the day of rekoning! Transgress not with the sins of your brothers, but live beside and with those who worship your brew almighty... the three spirits, Hops, Barley, Water.
I guess after I graduated from college I lost my taste for the hard stuff. I can still appreciate the complex tastes of a nice scotch with a good cigar though. Still... give me Guiness (Or Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale!)
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I recall drinking one of those brands of scotch in college. I found that if you added a splash of the 'blue stuff' it got you drunk quicker.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jan.....I'm thinking of moving to the States, if you can buy scotch at Costco I'm packing. :smile:
Here in Canada we have to get ours from the Monopoly The Liquor store and no where else. On the plus side my small town booze store has at least 18 different brands of Scotch.
I'm not a fan of Glenfiddich. It was the first I tasted but not my favorite by any stretch. I'm fortunate to have a friend, 20 years older and wiser, who is a scotch fiend. He has a cabin out back of his place and a standing invitation on friday nights to 'drop by for a splash in a glass and a sit by the fire.' He is always trying new stuff so I've had the opportunity to try a wide variety of scotches. The only problem is that after 4 or 6 in an evening I'm not sure if I really like the one I'm trying or if I'm in the 'fried tastebuds' stage where horse pi** would taste good. I'm going to start bringing a note book and making notes. One thing I did note was that the eastern Scotch (I forget the exact name) had a really briny taste that would not be something I'd like to drink often.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
This forum is cool! Home Theater and Scotch afficionados unite! I agree that Single Malt Scotch is an acquired taste. I drink it neat, however, I'll often have a separate glass of water to take between drinks.
As far as price, yes, SMS can get expensive fast, but it's not as if you're drinking a lot of it (no offense to those that do, but it's not exactly a "let's get wasted" drink). Also, bargains can be found. On a budget, I've found that a 12 Year The Glen Livet at around $22 a bottle on sale is an extremely satisfying drink. I like it better than a lot of $60-$200 Scotches I've had. For a little more coin, the 12 Year or more Macallan, Bowmore, and Balvenie are nice. And no offense to Glen Fiddich drinkers, but I find this Scotch to be pretty bad.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
[Edited last by Justin Doring on September 22, 2001 at 08:50 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks