What's new

Is it "safe" to get on the Outlaw 950 list now? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Since moving into the wonderful (yet somewhat expensive) world of separates, I've been looking into pre/pros. Much to my chagrin, I've found them to be oh so pricey which has led me to be satisfied with my Denon 3802. However, with the introduction of the Outlaw 950, it's a different ballgame.

My question is this, if I put my name on the list for the 950 now, do you think that all of the bugs will be worked out by the time I receive the unit (I realize that this is still months down the road)? In reading Outlaws FAQ, this unit will only retain it's $900 price tag for a few months and I want to take advantage of it soon.

Thanks!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yea, I'd say it's safe.

What will the price increase to? Anyone know?

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
Based on an old newsletter, Outlaw doesn't plan to raise the price. From the newsletter:
When we first announced the "Introductory" price we used that phrasing to protect ourselves in case we found that the cost of the final unit would be such that we might have to raise prices after a few months. While anything is possible, we do not see any major pending price increase
I don't think the 950 will change from the $899 price.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I based my question on this excerpt from the Outlaw web site, FAQ section on the 950:

We are committed to an introductory retail price of $899 plus shipping and handling. While our suppliers have told us that there might be price increases for some key components in the future, we will maintain the $899 price for at least three months after the first shipment. After that the price is subject to change due to market conditions in either direction, or it might not change at all for a while.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
I know, and it's a very valid question. I'm just passing along a bit of newer information (I don't think the FAQ's been updated in a while) that might help you.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
With a 30 day in-home audition period with a money back guarantee (-shipping) it's always been "safe." But I understand your point.

Outlaw is not going to ship these units until the latest upgrades are fully tested (which should be soon.) It doesn't cost you anything other than time to put your name on a list.

My 2 cents.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
According to a post elsewhere, one of the upgrades is apparently a faster auto-detect time for audio formats.

brian a

Second Unit
Very cool. That was one of the only knocks on the box. That's great news. I always hated the pop on my Ref 20 when it locked into a signal. I'm glad to hear that they were able to speed it up.

Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Since moving into the wonderful (yet somewhat expensive) world of separates, I've been looking into pre/pros. Much to my chagrin, I've found them to be oh so pricey which has led me to be satisfied with my Denon 3802. However, with the introduction of the Outlaw 950, it's a different ballgame.
Ihave the 3802 also and I'm on the 950/770 list as well!

It's a disease (Home Theater) that can't be cured, the only medicine for the pain is upgrading, which is temporary!!!

Harley

Martice

Screenwriter
As skeptical as I've been over the last months, in my search for a replacement for my current pre/pro all roads lead to two units the 950 and the 1066.

I almost have no alternative but to either pay more and get virtually the same offerings or wait to get one of the two above mentioned (hmmm...as I scratch my chin).

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Are they doing new upgrades in addition to the bugfixes? Any idea what they are?
In addition to no more dropouts and no more S-Video problem on a couple of monitors, the Cirrus Logic has been updated a bit (don't know what parameters, but chips are always being tweaked to improve surround algorithms).

Also, at the last moment Outlaw was able to tweak the compositeS-Video conversion so that now this has remained in the feature set. While it's not a big thing for me I can see where it will help out some people.

This is not a rumor. Stay tuned....

You will be pleased. Very pleased.

Trevor_J

Second Unit
S-Video conversion so that now this has remained in the feature set. While it's not a big thing for me I can see where it will help out some people.
RAF, did I read that correctly? Are you saying that they are keeping the feature that allowed you to convert composite to S-video and S-video to composite? The last newsletter I recieved from them stated that this wasn't possible.

I would really like this feature so I can use my VCR as a tuner w/o having to switch inputs on my projecotr.

brian a

Second Unit
that is very cool. again, very impressed with the handling of that. It's nice to see that they are listening to the folks who are going to buy the product and working hard to give them what they want. i hope the estimated shipping date i get from the outlaws is good news.
thanks for breaking another story for us RAF. :D

J

John Morris

Treavor, Brian, etal.: Yup, everything RAF has said is... OF COURSE, TRUE!

That means, video upconversion(composite to S-Video), very fast acquisition rate for both DVD and CD audio(NO missed notes), no dropouts... so far, nothing I can find with my latest 950 unit is bad. And, alot is better than what I heard and saw with the earlier beta1 950. If I hear or see something bad, I'll let you all know via this forum... in this thread. Stay Tuned!!!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
regarding the price, if they do raise it in the summer i do not ever see it going above $1000. the increase would be something moderate, like an extra $50 to bring the total to $950 (kind of appropriate, huh?).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Outlaw seems like a really class act, so I'm looking forward to checking out one of their products. I'm pretty psyched to see what this unit can do. I'm trying hard to temper my expectations, but based on what I've read and continue to read, I find it difficult to not get anxious!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
RAF, did I read that correctly?
Trevor,
As John confirmed, yes you did. While tweaking everything else an engineer looked at the video source conversion situation and somehow was able to adjust it so that this feature is still present.
I've personally checked it out (even though I don't use any composite sources that pass through the 950 myself on a regular basis) and I have verified that the before and after pictures look similar enough to warrant keeping this feature in.
I don't know exactly what the problem was with the beta unit because I never even used the conversion, but the conversion on the new 950 is fine with me. So save those conversion box pennies for some DVDs.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks