-

Photo

Helping a friend; First-time HT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Mark C.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 11:11 AM

Quick run-down:

A friend of mine just moved into his retirement home. He wants a home theater, but his idea of home theater is a 10-year-old JVC surround receiver with a Bose system.

Since he just purchased a 40-inch Sony Wega, he's now considering new speakers and a receiver. Problem is he's stuck on the B&M where he purchased the television.

That store sells quality stuff: Def Tech, M&K, Klipsch, Vienna Acoustics and Martin Logan. But my buddy wants bookshelf for his mains and a small (no ugly black box or smokestack)sub.

Money: no object, but he doesn't want to spend more than 2K for mains, center, sub and receiver.

I'm thinking Yamaha or Denon 80 wpc receiver with M&K or Klipsch bookshelves. Does this sound reasonable? Any other suggestions before we go into the store?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   matthew_rm

matthew_rm

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 11:27 AM

I don't know LOTS about M&K, but I know they are good. The Klipsch RB5 is one of the best speakers I have heard for the size. VERY dynamic. They also out-perform allmost every tower. I like the RF3 more, but the RB5 kicks.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted April 23 2002 - 10:17 AM

DefTech has a very good reputation. From their little Pro Cinema system, to a set of 5 self-powered speakers - the quality is there.

Some DefTech dealers had a package with a Dennon receiver and DefTech speakers for a fairly good price.