Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

need some PC-DVD advice

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

• 1,721 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 08:30 AM

I'm looking to add a DVD-ROM (IDE) to my system. I want something low-priced, but I'm also interested in a region-free player that can do PAL->NTSC conversion. Any recommendations?

#2 of 5 ONLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,305 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 22 2002 - 09:17 AM

Just the other day, a friend showed me a web site that had software downloads to modify the region of the DVD-ROM in my laptop! It works great, the player software doesn't see the region change and thus doesn't increment the region counter. I won't post the URL here, because I'm not sure if it violates the anti-bootleg policy of HTF, but it has a very obvious name, so just search Google or something. It had software for all kinds of different PC DVD players. I do not do bootlegs, BTW. . .I just like foreign films!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

• 1,313 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 12:43 PM

Martin, the best drive (IMHO, and I've used a bunch) is the Pioneer slot-loader. There are numerous pages (search on google) that can provide you with the region free firmware.

Your software DVD player should be able to do the NTSC-PAL conversion and output to the VGA output with no problem.

Here is the Pioneer (good price too): http://www.directron...pioneer16x.html

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

• 1,721 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, Matt! My local mom & pop store stocks that model, so I'll probably pick it up there.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

• 3,636 posts

Posted April 22 2002 - 01:34 PM

I asked the very same questions last week. I've just installed the Pioneer 106s today and it works well. I'm using a demo copy of PowerDVD, but I've ordered the full version from Amazon (cheaper than downloading the full version!). I've already flashed the drive bios and I'm using DVDGenie to force the regional encoding off.
No longer here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users